General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Man In the Ironic Mask
I don't pay attention to that lousy opening much, but I did notice they removed Tyler Christopher's face well before it was announced he was not coming back.

With Hurricane Matthew paying a visit, I'm not sure when I'll get caught up on episodes. I watched the Dillon/Paul/Tracy/Anna stuff last night and thought it was played well, but the material...underwhelming. Anna should have just blown his head off.:eek:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't pay attention to that lousy opening much, but I did notice they removed Tyler Christopher's face well before it was announced he was not coming back.

In other words, they were hoping we'd get the hint, regardless of what was playing out on screen. :(

With Hurricane Matthew paying a visit, I'm not sure when I'll get caught up on episodes. I watched the Dillon/Paul/Tracy/Anna stuff last night and thought it was played well, but the material...underwhelming. Anna should have just blown his head off.:eek:

Stay safe! And I agree--but I suppose if he's dead, then we'd lose the potential for Ava to be blackmailed over the death of a character no one cared about in the first place. lol

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The show has been pretty good this week, compared to what it has been in prior weeks. I know I've been paranoid about Nelle, but even my mother thought she sounded sinister yesterday when she said she wanted Carly's life!

I didn't expect Morgan to go until next month, though I know there's always the possibility of him washing ashore and being heavily bandaged

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Nelle made me chuckle a bit when she was being all sweet and understanding to Kiki, then after Kiki left she referred to her as "Princess" sarcastically. If only Nelle knew what crap Kiki's life has been since moving to Port Charles. Now THERE's a life she would not want.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
True. You should watch some YouTube clips of a girl's life before you throw shade her way. But then she also thinks Carly is a paragon of virtue, so her judgment may be questionable. :rolleyes:

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did they have to kill off Morgan aka the only biological child to Sonny & Carly? Couldn't they have re-casted? Had him in a coma for some time, and then introduced a new actor?

I am honestly not sad that Tyler Christopher isn't coming back. I always thought the actor was pretty anal. As in stiff and strange. I saw him on Celebrity Wife Swap, and it cemented my opinion of him.

Nick Stabile should be on contract!

I kinda hope that Steve Burton won't be back at GH, now that he's leaving Y&R.

Maryann

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Is Morgan really dead? They are not recasting although I think the actor is good and I like him, did he quit or was he fired?

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bryan Craig said he chose to leave. I have no reason not to believe his departure is his own choice. Winning that Emmy might have given him the courage to try other acting venues. I know I would have hated having to play the material he's been given.

I must admit I would not have done the exit story that they've done. The old "body was never found" routine is tired, tired, tired. Writers need to make final decisions and stick to them. Either kill him off for real, or send him back to the institution, have him move away, or do something to explain his departure. Is it really so hard to believe that a character might just decide to move some place else to start over? Given the absolute horror story that he calls a family, why would he NOT want to move away?

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am honestly not sad that Tyler Christopher isn't coming back. I always thought the actor was pretty anal. As in stiff and strange. I saw him on Celebrity Wife Swap, and it cemented my opinion of him.

Nick Stabile should be on contract!

I didn't have a problem with Tyler in the role, but I do think they should consider Nick Stabile if they decide to bring the character back; he had great chemistry with Maura West.

I kinda hope that Steve Burton won't be back at GH, now that he's leaving Y&R.

Same, but thankfully I believe that ship has sailed.

Bryan Craig said he chose to leave. I have no reason not to believe his departure is his own choice. Winning that Emmy might have given him the courage to try other acting venues. I know I would have hated having to play the material he's been given.

Yeah, he was forced into playing the same three scenes, over and over and over again, so his desire to leave is totally understandable.

I must admit I would not have done the exit story that they've done. The old "body was never found" routine is tired, tired, tired. Writers need to make final decisions and stick to them. Either kill him off for real, or send him back to the institution, have him move away, or do something to explain his departure. Is it really so hard to believe that a character might just decide to move some place else to start over? Given the absolute horror story that he calls a family, why would he NOT want to move away?

LOL.
I do like the references to him being blown to bits, and there not being enough Morgan left for a funeral. A mob hit should be gruesome, but the lack of body makes it easy to recast later.
And hopefully they will have forgotten the mental illness by then. :rolleyes:

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
A really interesting twist that came to my mind would be that they do find a body part--either an arm or a leg. They use this to assure everyone that he died in the explosion. Later on, they hire an actor minus one of those limbs and explore the idea that Morgan survived and perhaps went to the super-secret Clinic For the Not-Quite-Dead where AJ hid out for over a decade recuperating from a broken back, alcoholism, and all the other problems he had when he was presumed dead. Dr. Obrecht, you will recall, ran that outfit, and since she's currently laid off from the closed hospital, perhaps she took on his case as a freelance? Anyway, having Morgan survive but lose a limb might give them a way to re-position the character and help him gain a bit of maturity and lose that whole "spoiled rich-kid with no ambitions" image that this Morgan had.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
With such a huge cast, you would think the writers would spread around the material a bit more*. I can tolerate Laura Wright, but Maurice Benard drives me up the wall with his mumbling and stumbling through his lines. It is fairly evident that ABC pressures them to keep Sonny/Carly in the forefront, in much the same way they are forcing the show to "make nuJason happen" even as Billy Miller seems to be absolutely miserable playing Jason. The over-exposure of Jason/Carly/Sonny in the 2000s is the stuff of legends, and I fear they're trying to go back to that nightmare.

I do give them some credit for making Tracy a player in Port Charles again, and I've seen more of Monica in the past three months than I saw her in the last three years! I'm also liking their efforts to establish Laura as a player in PC again rather than just being a hand-holder for her kids.

* Granted, most of the cast is on recurring and this limits their story possibilities, but there are financial advantages to giving more material to cheaper, recurring characters.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It seems pretty obvious that when Carlivati was fired from the show and the new headwriting team was brought on, ABC gave them the directive to push Sonny/Carly and their myriad offspring to the forefront of the show again...even at the expense of ratings and quality.

A really interesting twist that came to my mind would be that they do find a body part--either an arm or a leg. They use this to assure everyone that he died in the explosion. Later on, they hire an actor minus one of those limbs and explore the idea that Morgan survived and perhaps went to the super-secret Clinic For the Not-Quite-Dead where AJ hid out for over a decade recuperating from a broken back, alcoholism, and all the other problems he had when he was presumed dead. Dr. Obrecht, you will recall, ran that outfit, and since she's currently laid off from the closed hospital, perhaps she took on his case as a freelance? Anyway, having Morgan survive but lose a limb might give them a way to re-position the character and help him gain a bit of maturity and lose that whole "spoiled rich-kid with no ambitions" image that this Morgan had.

I like this idea, though soaps have a difficult time remembering when they've disabled a character. See Philip Kiriakis, who lost his leg while in the armed forces, but seemed to grow it back depending on which actor was playing the role.

With such a huge cast, you would think the writers would spread around the material a bit more*. I can tolerate Laura Wright, but Maurice Benard drives me up the wall with his mumbling and stumbling through his lines. It is fairly evident that ABC pressures them to keep Sonny/Carly in the forefront, in much the same way they are forcing the show to "make nuJason happen" even as Billy Miller seems to be absolutely miserable playing Jason. The over-exposure of Jason/Carly/Sonny in the 2000s is the stuff of legends, and I fear they're trying to go back to that nightmare.

Yes. It may just be a daytime form of "method acting", but I would swear he is reading off cue cards at times, what with the way he glances toward but not directly at the cameras.

Billy Miller was so good on Y&R no matter how bad his story, or the show, became, that it makes his miscasting here all the more obvious.

I do give them some credit for making Tracy a player in Port Charles again, and I've seen more of Monica in the past three months than I saw her in the last three years! I'm also liking their efforts to establish Laura as a player in PC again rather than just being a hand-holder for her kids.

Definitely. For a show with so few veteran actors left (thanks again, JFP), it is definitely important to utilize them. I also like that Laura is being given a storyline independent of her family, though I wish they hadn't jettisoned Spencer. o_O

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Spencer is quietly experiencing a bout of SORAS, the same one that Josslyn experienced about three months ago while in Australia with Jax. Since Josslyn, Spencer, Cameron, and Emma were all supposed to be the same age just a year or two ago, I wonder if this extended period of time we've gone without seeing Cameron (and Aiden) will also result in a 'surprise' when we see him next.

Of course the whole SORAS concept can be uneven and even a bit rude at times. They don't HAVE to keep the four characters all the same age. Molly should actually be younger than Cameron, I've been told. Since none of the four characters have interacted in a year or so, they could likely get away with turning Spencer into a Morgan-aged hunk while the other three remain young teens (and in Emma's case, off-screen). I'm sure that if Rebecca Herbst (Liz) weren't so youthful looking, they would have SORAS-ed her kids long ago, but they can't hold off forever.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was afraid of that. I had (foolishly) hoped Nicolas Bechtel would be allowed to stay with the show and age the way Kimberly McCullogh did, though there's never any guarantee that a talented child actor can maintain their talent post-adolescence. I agree with you on the unevenness of the whole concept. It seemed to me that when they recast Jake (earlier this year? It all blurs together after a while) he seemed to get younger. I don't know the actual ages of either child actor, but it probably didn't help that NuJake was over-the-top ebullient concerning Franco's puppy on his first day of work. lol

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
NuJake was over-the-top ebullient concerning Franco's puppy on his first day of work. lol

...while poor Charlotte borders on mute and motionless.

Bechtel got a part on another show (for Nickelodeon or one of those kids networks?) a while back and GH was scaling his appearances back to accommodate that. Now they seem to be in the frame of mind that without Nikolas around, Spencer isn't needed. Only on soaps can a child become an orphan (see: Spencer, Teddy) and get shipped off within days and never mentioned again.

The ultimate in SORAS shenanigans would involve Charlotte being the missing embryo that Lulu thinks was destroyed in that lab explosion. It was supposedly hers and Stavros Cassadine's test-tube baby, and given how Valentin is looking for the little girl---but shows no real interest in the welfare of Claudette--I'm thinking they'll say Claudette was the surrogate who carried the baby to term, and took off with the kid, the rightful heir to the Cassadine fortune. It's laughable, since the lab blew up two years ago and that girl is probably seven to nine years old. They keep saying the Claudette/Nathan/Griffin thing happened ten years ago, so Charlotte ought to be about nine.

I always assumed Helena had implanted that embryo in Robin during Robin's captivity, since they filmed KM's sporadic appearances mostly in close-ups in lab coats, etc. KM had a miscarriage in real life around the time she agreed to return to GH, so I assumed they scuttled that plotline out of sympathy for her real life tragedy.

Maryann

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
I never really cared for the young Spencer and Josslyn they were too grown in their behavior and very obnoxious and annoying!!! I wanted them shipped off to boarding school for a year and bring them back with better actors, good appropriate storylines and less annoying and obnoxious please!!!

Don Howard

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
It's taken me about thirty years of soap viewing, but I've finally come to the conclusion that I hate serial killer stories

So very true. In their day, they were compelling. Now it's become a tired ratings stunt. "Sweeps is coming; let's have a serial killer. Whose contract is up?".

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
...while poor Charlotte borders on mute and motionless.

It's hard when to develop a vocabulary--both verbal and non-verbal--when you spend all of your time in hiding, only to come out and have two different fathers in the course of two days. lol

Bechtel got a part on another show (for Nickelodeon or one of those kids networks?) a while back and GH was scaling his appearances back to accommodate that. Now they seem to be in the frame of mind that without Nikolas around, Spencer isn't needed. Only on soaps can a child become an orphan (see: Spencer, Teddy) and get shipped off within days and never mentioned again.

It's good (maybe) that Valentin is returning, because it provides some validity to Laura placing him in a high-security boarding school. Funny how a boarding school can have tighter security than whatever place Faison was locked up!

The ultimate in SORAS shenanigans would involve Charlotte being the missing embryo that Lulu thinks was destroyed in that lab explosion. It was supposedly hers and Stavros Cassadine's test-tube baby, and given how Valentin is looking for the little girl---but shows no real interest in the welfare of Claudette--I'm thinking they'll say Claudette was the surrogate who carried the baby to term, and took off with the kid, the rightful heir to the Cassadine fortune. It's laughable, since the lab blew up two years ago and that girl is probably seven to nine years old. They keep saying the Claudette/Nathan/Griffin thing happened ten years ago, so Charlotte ought to be about nine.

Yes, that is probably what will happen. Charlotte will be older than her older brother :lmao:Also, I have always thought Nathan just seemed young for whatever his onscreen age should be; I couldn't figure out how he'd found the time to become a skilled detective before arriving in Port Chuck. Ryan Paevey is my age but looks younger, anyway--but then again, so do I. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that two seemingly-intelligent young men would fall for such an obvious manipulator like Claudette...but I am hardly a relationship expert. :p

I always assumed Helena had implanted that embryo in Robin during Robin's captivity, since they filmed KM's sporadic appearances mostly in close-ups in lab coats, etc. KM had a miscarriage in real life around the time she agreed to return to GH, so I assumed they scuttled that plotline out of sympathy for her real life tragedy.

I remember reading something about that, but I didn't really slip back into the show until Genie Francis returned for the 50th anniversary, so I mainly saw Robin at the clinic working on Jason's face and/or other various frozen Cassadines. :floor: