General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Today's scenes in the Deception offices were excellent. Maxie is blossoming into quite the leader, showing equal parts wisdom and compassion. Deception as a company seems to be a crisis magnet, but there Maxie is, solving the problems and looking great while doing it. As I've said in the past, Tracy ought to take Maxie under her wing and offer her the job of running the company "for real," as opposed to this nebulous arrangement where Tracy has majority ownership but Lucy acts like she is in charge all while Maxie is actually keeping the company from going under.

I think the suggestion that Adrian might end up in "Italian shoes with designer cement" was the line of the day, though I enjoyed the tongue-lashing he got in front of the Deception ladies from beginning to end. And of course we can add him to the list of possible suspects if Ava ends up at the wrong end of a gun.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
The writing is stronger now.
I don't know if Blaze would really have been dropped by the music company.
If her sales and shows were profitable, she would likely have remained.
Tracy has not been in meetings with Deception?
Where's Cyrus? Where's Taggart?
Sonny does have a point when he says that if the Jeromes or someone else is in charge,
there could be bigger issues.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want more when it comes to GH. In the good sense. I want the show to be longer so I can find out what will happen sooner.

I want to know who killed Austin.
I want Sonny to explode because of being under medicated.
I want Mac to find out about Cody.
I want to know who was wearing a wire at the meeting of the 5 families.
I want to know what Valentin is planning.
I want to know how Chase, BLQ & Violet will (or won't) bond.
I want to know what will happen when Lucky returns.
I want to see how Jason & Sam will co-exist.
I want to see Carly and Sonny reunite.
I want Martin to return.
I want to see what Cyrus is really up to, and him hanging out with his other family members.
I want to see more from the Q mansion now that so many people live there.
I want to see if Drew & Nina will fall in love.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Then the writers are doing their jobs, because all these things you want to know will (hopefully) keep you watching for months to come.

I think many people judge soap writing and style of storytelling against episodic television, where all the answers are provided within the hour. Soaps by design are meant to stretch storylines out for months, sometimes years if they're good at it. The two main problems I see are 1) the writers fail to make "the ride" as entertaining as "the destination", and 2) network people interfere and force the writers to "wrap it up" prematurely because they are judging a soap using primetime TV sensibilities. Maybe the networks are right in believing that our attention spans are too short to endure old-style soap storytelling, but I hope there will remain room in the genre for faster-paced and slower-paced soaps.
There are TWENTY characters living in (or said to be living in) the Q mansion or on the immediate grounds of the estate right now!
Monica
Tracy
Ned
Olivia
Leo
Drew
Scout
Michael
Willow
Amelia
Wiley
Brook Lynn
Chase
Violet
Sasha
Cody
Yuri
Gio
Josslyn
Trina

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I only knew Eva LaRue as a regular cast member from CSI: Miami and I wasn't a fan of her there, but I could actually become one thanks to her work on GH. After all the writers' changes, I still have the feeling that no one behind the scenes knows who Natalia is and what she really thinks and feels, but no matter what script comes, Eva LaRue delivers.

I actually found the most interesting part about Blaze's outing story was that Kristina was supposed to withdraw from her project, that was the only part that felt real, the rest seemed like a story that they wanted to tell but would never happen that way.

Everything about Ava seems a bit plot-driven these days. She comes across as much more clueless than usual, but maybe her concern about Avery is making her lose all caution. Will Ava be murdered? Maura West's fee could certainly be used for other returnees and actually everything has been told about Ava.

Since Brennan is in the opening credits, I'm already wondering who he'll interact with once he's free. Carly and Brennan is a likely choice, but would Carly really be so stupid to have some afternoon delight with Brennan when she loves Jason? Maybe Brennan and Alexis will become a couple?!?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I only knew Eva LaRue as a regular cast member from CSI: Miami and I wasn't a fan of her there, but I could actually become one thanks to her work on GH. After all the writers' changes, I still have the feeling that no one behind the scenes knows who Natalia is and what she really thinks and feels, but no matter what script comes, Eva LaRue delivers.
You hit on an interesting problem we are currently experiencing. The episodes airing right now are some of the final episodes with Patrick Mulcahey as Co-HW. If Natalia was a PM creation (as opposed to Liz Korte) then they might very easily justify getting rid of the character because Mulcahey's plan for the character might have been tossed out just as he has been. It's traditional that when a new Head Writer comes in, they create new characters to service their new plots, but the reverse is also true: when another new HW comes in, he or she often jettisons the previous HW's creations. We will have to wait and see if characters like Natalia, John/Jagger Cates, and Gio actually stick around, or if Korte decides to go another way. Of the three. ELR is the only one who would have a substantial salary, and I'm estimating she would be close to the end of her 13-week cycle (thus allowing them to let her go without violating the contract).

You are also right that they've left Natalia more or less a blank slate beyond the immediate plotline with Blaze and everyone jumping on the "burn the witch!" bandwagon over her being a bigot. Heck, I read a (only half-joking) fan theory that she is in fact a Pikeman plant who has been sent by Brennan to manipulate Sonny into killing Jason and/or Valentin. If they can write that "Valentin is working for Pikeman!! OMG!!!" plot twist, why not? Of course I don't think Korte is quite as motivated to write crazy plot twists like that...but if you do, you tend to hire "name" actors for such front-burner plots.

And speaking of the "OMG! Burn the witch!!" reactions on the internet, GH seems to be writing this plot as if it's 1986. Are we really going to believe that a record label in 2024 would drop an "international pop star" (they say she's like internationally famous, so whatever) just because she was in the closet? That the woman who built an (off-screen) shelter for LGBT youth who is herself bisexual would be kicked off of her own project because of a so-called scandal involving the woman she was dating? The shelter isn't even OPEN yet, so rather than the BOD kicking Kristina off the project, they'd more likely just let the project stop construction and apply for an indefinite pause in plans. Sonny bankrolled the shelter for his daughter....yet they had no problem with THAT, but OMG, that whole mother-of-her-girlfriend disapproves of their lifestyle is somehow a reason to punish HER? Like I said, the reactions are so unrealistic for this time and age. Yes, the "rage bait" sector of the internet would feast on Natalia for a while, but those people move on to their next feast quickly. And it also still bugs me that Sonny is angrier at Ava for outing Natalia's being a bigot than he is angry at Natalia for being prejudiced against Kristina....though I think that is something they haven't yet explored but plan to.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I want more when it comes to GH. In the good sense. I want the show to be longer so I can find out what will happen sooner.

I want to know who killed Austin.
I want Sonny to explode because of being under medicated.
I want Mac to find out about Cody.
I want to know who was wearing a wire at the meeting of the 5 families.
I want to know what Valentin is planning.
I want to know how Chase, BLQ & Violet will (or won't) bond.
I want to know what will happen when Lucky returns.
I want to see how Jason & Sam will co-exist.
I want to see Carly and Sonny reunite.
I want Martin to return.
I want to see what Cyrus is really up to, and him hanging out with his other family members.
I want to see if Drew & Nina will fall in love.
I could support all of it, except Drew/Nina. I like the Drew/Jordan possibility

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
You hit on an interesting problem we are currently experiencing. The episodes airing right now are some of the final episodes with Patrick Mulcahey as Co-HW. If Natalia was a PM creation (as opposed to Liz Korte) then they might very easily justify getting rid of the character because Mulcahey's plan for the character might have been tossed out just as he has been. It's traditional that when a new Head Writer comes in, they create new characters to service their new plots, but the reverse is also true: when another new HW comes in, he or she often jettisons the previous HW's creations. We will have to wait and see if characters like Natalia, John/Jagger Cates, and Gio actually stick around, or if Korte decides to go another way. Of the three. ELR is the only one who would have a substantial salary, and I'm estimating she would be close to the end of her 13-week cycle (thus allowing them to let her go without violating the contract).

You are also right that they've left Natalia more or less a blank slate beyond the immediate plotline with Blaze and everyone jumping on the "burn the witch!" bandwagon over her being a bigot. Heck, I read a (only half-joking) fan theory that she is in fact a Pikeman plant who has been sent by Brennan to manipulate Sonny into killing Jason and/or Valentin. If they can write that "Valentin is working for Pikeman!! OMG!!!" plot twist, why not? Of course I don't think Korte is quite as motivated to write crazy plot twists like that...but if you do, you tend to hire "name" actors for such front-burner plots.

And speaking of the "OMG! Burn the witch!!" reactions on the internet, GH seems to be writing this plot as if it's 1986. Are we really going to believe that a record label in 2024 would drop an "international pop star" (they say she's like internationally famous, so whatever) just because she was in the closet? That the woman who built an (off-screen) shelter for LGBT youth who is herself bisexual would be kicked off of her own project because of a so-called scandal involving the woman she was dating? The shelter isn't even OPEN yet, so rather than the BOD kicking Kristina off the project, they'd more likely just let the project stop construction and apply for an indefinite pause in plans. Sonny bankrolled the shelter for his daughter....yet they had no problem with THAT, but OMG, that whole mother-of-her-girlfriend disapproves of their lifestyle is somehow a reason to punish HER? Like I said, the reactions are so unrealistic for this time and age. Yes, the "rage bait" sector of the internet would feast on Natalia for a while, but those people move on to their next feast quickly. And it also still bugs me that Sonny is angrier at Ava for outing Natalia's being a bigot than he is angry at Natalia for being prejudiced against Kristina....though I think that is something they haven't yet explored but plan to.
I agree. It is unrealistic that the record label would drop Blaze, especially if sales and concerts are profitable.

I think that Sonny is angrier at Ava because her actions are far more duplicitous and harmful than
Natalia's intentions with her off the record comments(which did not have malicious public intent) , and there is a history with Ava.
Natalia is at least more honest and more willing to own what she says and does,
and she did not intend to deliberately embarrass Kristina.
Sonny also knows that Kristina has been traumatized recently by his actions,
so maybe that is a factor as well.

Yes, Natalia is written as intolerant - that is the need of the storyline, otherwise it lacks impact.
ESL is a good actress, and to her credit, she portrays Natalia as more understated in her views,
rather than strident and over-the-top.
There is also room for Natalia to grow. the character can represent many people who
can evolve and become more accepting, with time.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones

I actually found the most interesting part about Blaze's outing story was that Kristina was supposed to withdraw from her project, that was the only part that felt real, the rest seemed like a story that they wanted to tell but would never happen that way.

Everything about Ava seems a bit plot-driven these days. She comes across as much more clueless than usual, but maybe her concern about Avery is making her lose all caution. Will Ava be murdered? Maura West's fee could certainly be used for other returnees and actually everything has been told about Ava.

Since Brennan is in the opening credits, I'm already wondering who he'll interact with once he's free. Carly and Brennan is a likely choice, but would Carly really be so stupid to have some afternoon delight with Brennan when she loves Jason? Maybe Brennan and Alexis will become a couple?!?
Ava as plot driven- maybe
Ava is an unlikeable character is portrayed by an excellent actress.
I would like to see Maura West remain on the show- it is never a good idea
to lose an excellent actress.
I like Sonny with ESL. I hope to see that developed.
Brennan/Alexis - she does have a history of relationships with such characters.
It could be interesting.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Drew and Willow!
No, too much.
I want Drew/Jordan.

Good Tracy! Nina should never be welcome at the Q's, or anywhere else for that matter.

Genie Francis is about to be in a horrible story idea.
Laura may lose many friends and supporters.

Will we ever see Monica?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Will we ever see Monica?
While I was watching those scenes with Tracy and McConkey (discussing his room-visit with Monica) I felt tears welling up. They're laying the groundwork to kill her off, I can just feel it.

It did not help that for the first 40 minutes of the episode, all the Qs and Q-adjacent characters were having the time of their lives at the party without a seeming concern in the world---and then we learn through dialogue that Monica has been upstairs all alone the whole time, the matriarch of the Quartermaine family not being referred to or being acknowledged as they partied the night away in her house. The one that Alan gave to her.

It's worth noting that if they proceed with a Drew/Willow affair (and I think they will), then Drew's claims that he cares for/respects Michael might ring a bit hollow, given in one year Drew has slept with Michael's mother, his mother-in-law, and now his wife. Maybe they will dig Nelle out of that ravine she fell into so Drew can also sleep with Michael's ex/Willow's twin sister. But ass-hat Michael deserves it, IMO. There's an old saying: If she cheats WITH you, she will cheat ON you.

Last edited:

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I have to agree with Portia.
It looks like this story line will cause Laura to lose the mayor's office
Will Portia have issues with Liz? I don't think Liz
has any great love for Heather, but her relationship with Laura might be an issue.
I guess now Mac will go through an extended period of "I don't like Cody"
and then there will be some event that brings them together.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to agree with Portia.
It looks like this story line will cause Laura to lose the mayor's office
Will Portia have issues with Liz? I don't think Liz
has any great love for Heather, but her relationship with Laura might be an issue.
I was okay (actually quite pleased) at Portia vs. Laura, but the way they parachuted Liz into the conflict and used her relationship with Franco against her felt manufactured. Just a few weeks ago Portia and Liz were having these warm, supportive scenes regarding Finn. Liz wasn't jumping in to defend Laura---she was looking for her kid!---and I hope once Portia calms down she will recognize her mistake. But continue to rattle Laura's cage. ;) Lost in the mix was the scene a while back where Heather, upon finding out what Laura was looking into, dissolved into tears and insisted that she deserved to be where she was, hip or no hip.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I was okay (actually quite pleased) at Portia vs. Laura, but the way they parachuted Liz into the conflict and used her relationship with Franco against her felt manufactured. Just a few weeks ago Portia and Liz were having these warm, supportive scenes regarding Finn. Liz wasn't jumping in to defend Laura---she was looking for her kid!---and I hope once Portia calms down she will recognize her mistake. But continue to rattle Laura's cage. ;) Lost in the mix was the scene a while back where Heather, upon finding out what Laura was looking into, dissolved into tears and insisted that she deserved to be where she was, hip or no hip.
I would assume the mistake that you mentioned is Portia's reaction to Liz, who certainly has no great admiration for Heather.

I think Genie Francis is being written in two bad storylines - Heather and Ava,(Ava claims she is family, but Sonny is also family)
and Laura will almost inevitably lose the mayor position.
So who will be the next mayor?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, yeah--just apologize to Liz in the same way she apologized to Curtis, whom she briefly got angry with too. Direct her anger at Laura where it belongs. I'm just afraid we will get a follow-up scene where Portia apologizes, but as she and Liz continue to talk she (Liz) will say something to defend Laura personally (not to defend Laura's plans) and Portia will just 'spin out' again because she is so upset that she can't recognize the difference. It's the best stuff Brooke Kerr has gotten in over a year, and so much more "organic" than that stuff where she was trying to break up Trina and Spencer.

What bugs me is the fact that Heather was already in an institution (Spring Ridge, or maybe even a more heavy-duty place) when she started the murder spree. She would sneak out and back in. So obviously she was already being kept there for other reasons/crimes. Even if they wipe the serial killings off her record, it does not mean she'd have her entire rap sheet wiped clean too. It might lessen her sentence from 400 years to 100 years :lol: but she's still in jail.