The Bold and the Beautiful Watching The Bold and the Beautiful

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
I might be the only one, but I enjoyed the first years without Susan and Ronn more than their final years.

All Ridge did was mediate between Brooke and Taylor as they quarreled over their daughters' love lives. I admire Ronn Moss for making the decision that he wants to do something other than that for the rest of his life.

Susan Flannery got stories that demanded acting in Stephanie's final years, but I was never really a fan of them. I still remember how annoyed I was when Stephanie tried to dissuade Nick from smoking cigars.

When Stephanie and Ridge were gone, Bell really went out of his way for a while not to lose viewers. Unfortunately, it got monotonous at some point when he realized that Liam's love life would lead to big ratings.
The problem for me was that there was too much focus on Hope and Liam. The show literally became about them. Ever character was literally talking about them.(Even Stephanie). I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Susan Flannery decided to leave.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not to live in the past but when I binge watch these 1987 episodes I think it’s making me resent the current product even more. I’m reminded of how great this show was but probably never will be again.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
Not to live in the past but when I binge watch these 1987 episodes I think it’s making me resent the current product even more. I’m reminded of how great this show was but probably never will be again.
I totally live in the past because it makes me feel better. I started watching B&B in August of 1988(I was 12). My last full episode I watched was December 2012, , the first Christmas episode without Stephanie,( I was 36). I literally grew up with the show. I had to stop watching the current show because I know how great the show was. Watching it now is depressing. The only way to fix these past few years is to have Eric wake up from a dream(just like Dallas). I really am not kidding when I say that.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The only way to fix these past few years is to have Eric wake up from a dream(just like Dallas). I really am not kidding when I say that
I think this is one time I’d be okay with a dream resolution. For this show right now I feel it’s the best option. I totally agree with you. I mean I’m watching a nightmare now so technically a dream makes sense.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
I think this is one time I’d be okay with a dream resolution. For this show right now I feel it’s the best option. I totally agree with you. I mean I’m watching a nightmare now so technically a dream makes sense.
Eric will wake up and Susan and Ronn will be back. Maybe that's how the show will end.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
In case you wonder what has happened to Wyatt and Flo, Soap Opera Digest knows more:

Though Katrina Bowden (Flo) and Darin Brooks (Wyatt) have had little screen time of late, B&B Executive Producer/ Head Writer Bradley Bell assures that the duo still has a place on the soap. “They are both on other projects right now but they are still very much a part of the makeup of the show,” notes Bell. “We’ll be seeing story ahead for them in the fall.”

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Eric will wake up and Susan and Ronn will be back. Maybe that's how the show will end.
“Stephanie?”

“Yes Eric?”

“I just had the craziest dream. I dreamt I was married to someone half my age and I had ED and all of the Logan sisters were crazily obsessed with me and my personal life.”

“Well Eric, except for the ED I don’t see what’s different.”

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The problem for me was that there was too much focus on Hope and Liam. The show literally became about them. Ever character was literally talking about them.(Even Stephanie). I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Susan Flannery decided to leave.

Susan wanted to retire a long time because she lived so far from the studio. All the way out in Carpinteria, Santa Barbara. During filming days, she lived in a hotel. The last year she did B&B, she stayed at Rebecca Budig's house.

She almost retired from acting to focus on producing and directing back in the 80s, but Bill Bell talked her into taking the B&B part. She didn't think she'd end up staying for 25 years.

Ronn Moss was more annoyed with the leadership etc than Susan was. He publically admitted to his frustration and said others were less than fully satisfied as well. Susan never spoke publically about it but her leaving was a long time coming. Each contract renewal her last years were nervous for me.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
Susan wanted to retire a long time because she lived so far from the studio. All the way out in Carpinteria, Santa Barbara. During filming days, she lived in a hotel. The last year she did B&B, she stayed at Rebecca Budig's house.

She almost retired from acting to focus on producing and directing back in the 80s, but Bill Bell talked her into taking the B&B part. She didn't think she'd end up staying for 25 years.

Ronn Moss was more annoyed with the leadership etc than Susan was. He publically admitted to his frustration and said others were less than fully satisfied as well. Susan never spoke publically about it but her leaving was a long time coming. Each contract renewal her last years were nervous for me.
I never knew that Ronn had publicly admitted his frustration. I do remember that he had felt betrayed by Brad Bell because the only thing he requested was that they don't recast the part. I did think it was strange that he was never given a goodbye party like Susan or anyone else when they left. I just don't understand Brad, I mean Ronn was an original cast member and was there for 25 years!!.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe I'm conflating RM's situation with someone else's, but I seem to recall he had some sort of injury (in a car accident or something) that made it harder for him to remember his lines. His general frustration with the production team (likely the transition from the Brooke/Ridge merry-go-round to the Hope/Liam merry-go-round) combined with the memorization issues compelled him to leave. I think it was probably a step too far to expect them not to recast such a central role.

I also recall that the Head Writer of GH at that time, Ron Carlivati, trolled B&B onscreen about the Ronn Moss departure. Young Spencer Cassadine (at the time about nine years old) was trying to impress Emma Drake, so he claimed to her and half the town for several weeks that he had hired Ronn Moss and his old band, Player, to perform at the Nurses' Ball. Fans of GH were shaking their heads (a nine year-old loves 1970s soft-rock?) and of course the soap press were fit to be tied. RC made it appear that Moss might make the appearance to spite his ex-bosses at B&B, but in fact there was never any discussion with Moss or the band about appearing.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
Maybe I'm conflating RM's situation with someone else's, but I seem to recall he had some sort of injury (in a car accident or something) that made it harder for him to remember his lines. His general frustration with the production team (likely the transition from the Brooke/Ridge merry-go-round to the Hope/Liam merry-go-round) combined with the memorization issues compelled him to leave. I think it was probably a step too far to expect them not to recast such a central role.

I also recall that the Head Writer of GH at that time, Ron Carlivati, trolled B&B onscreen about the Ronn Moss departure. Young Spencer Cassadine (at the time about nine years old) was trying to impress Emma Drake, so he claimed to her and half the town for several weeks that he had hired Ronn Moss and his old band, Player, to perform at the Nurses' Ball. Fans of GH were shaking their heads (a nine year-old loves 1970s soft-rock?) and of course the soap press were fit to be tied. RC made it appear that Moss might make the appearance to spite his ex-bosses at B&B, but in fact there was never any discussion with Moss or the band about appearing.
Oh wow!!

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The only way to fix these past few years is to have Eric wake up from a dream
I wouldn't go as harsh as a dream but I really think B&B needs something to spark interest. If it was up to me I'd create a killer episode where every characters life is in peril...then do a time jump. Sure some will compare it to DOOL but B&B needs a reset.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't go as harsh as a dream but I really think B&B needs something to spark interest. If it was up to me I'd create a killer episode where every characters life is in peril...then do a time jump. Sure some will compare it to DOOL but B&B needs a reset.
I have to agree. The show needs a spark. Hit the reset button and go in an entirely different direction at this point. I’m usually not to keen on time jumps to be honest but I think it might be a good idea here. The show is very stale in its current state.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am still in shock that the show is still #2 in the ratings.
Me too because out of the four shows left it definitely has the feel of being the worst one at times. I know none of the four are really killing it with great storylines at the moment but still, I’m surprised to see it holding on to the #2 spot.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
Me too because out of the four shows left it definitely has the feel of being the worst one at times. I know none of the four are really killing it with great storylines at the moment but still, I’m surprised to see it holding on to the #2 spot.
Actually, I am really amazed that the four are still on the air. I remember reading last year that Y&R has the same numbers that Guiding Light has when it was cancelled. Go figure!!!!

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Not quite. He and his wife had an almost disaster but were left completely unharmed. But he took it as a sign to change some things in his life. Like leaving B&B and focus on other things.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never knew that Ronn had publicly admitted his frustration. I do remember that he had felt betrayed by Brad Bell because the only thing he requested was that they don't recast the part. I did think it was strange that he was never given a goodbye party like Susan or anyone else when they left. I just don't understand Brad, I mean Ronn was an original cast member and was there for 25 years!!.

That's probably because he left right when his contract was up. He, Susan, Kelly & John had dinner together and he revealed that he would not sign a new contract. Susan revealed that she too had decided to leave. However, Ronn and Susan chose two different ways to end. Ronn left almost immidiately after his decision. The writers only had time to write in a fast quick end. Pretty much scrapping the scripts and re-writing to have a happy Bridge ending with another wedding. Susan on the other hand decided to stay an extra couple of months so that they could write a proper end for Stephanie. That's why Stephanie died in November of 2012 instead of September. That alsogave them a chance to plan a party for her.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's why Stephanie died in November of 2012 instead of September.
I wasn’t watching much at the time but I was just curious was there a lot of fan backlash over Stephanie dying in Brooke’s arms? I think it was a perfect ending for her character but I’m sure there were people that had a problem with it and thought it would be better if she died surrounded by Eric and the rest of the family.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wasn’t watching much at the time but I was just curious was there a lot of fan backlash over Stephanie dying in Brooke’s arms? I think it was a perfect ending for her character but I’m sure there were people that had a problem with it and thought it would be better if she died surrounded by Eric and the rest of the family.

Quite a lot, yes. I too was very disappointed. I wanted it to be Eric and Stephanie only. I was so disappointed that I didn't even watch the episode. I ended it with Eric and Stephanie saying goodbye (Eric was meant to return as soon as possible, after his idiot family was done with their soooo important meeting at FC that could not wait). Stephanie's condition worsened quicker than anybody though and she was forced to die in Brooke's arms. Gag.