• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What have you learned recently?

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What have you learned recently?

Last night we were entertaining friends and they mentioned SHEWEE

I had no idea what this was, they told me it's a device for women to use so they can pee standing up.

Shewee is a portable urinating device which allows women to wee whilst standing and without removing their clothes. Used for many years by campers, climbers, skiers, walkers, festival goers and those stuck in traffic jams

I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone and ask if they have used one, though I'm curious if you're aware of them.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the same family, I guess....

A few weeks ago I learned the term "Trucker Bombs". A friend and I took I-95 down to Delray Beach and I needed to stop to go to the bathroom. He jokingly handed me the plastic Pepsi bottle I'd just emptied and said "Time for a Trucker Bomb". I honestly had no idea what he was talking about, so he explained that when long-distance drivers can't stop to pee, they will fill up a bottle while driving and just toss it out the window. In the old days Pepsi came in glass bottles, so the "bomb" aspect was because it would likely break/explode on impact. The advent of plastic bottles means the 'bomb' is more likely to survive the toss, and it must be such a joy for the roadside workers to discover. :fp: We stopped for me to do my business the correct way, thankfully, but I was fascinated enough that I wanted to spot one or two on the way back. The only part I'm still not getting is how...problematic is must be to use a bottle with a narrow neck. And I'm now convinced we were better off when the drink bottles were glass!

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Today I learned the names of many different kinds of wrenches in English. :)

Kevmac

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Today I learned that even though they say, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".... the truth is, you knew what you had but just thought you'd never lose it...? :confused:

...:(

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I can't believe you were unaware of the shewee @Ome . For sale in many Kleeneze catalogues :) I haven't used one but I have been very tempted to get one as I used to have to drive long distances.

I am starting to learn that there are things that are beyond my control.

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Dat is echt niet zo moeilijk hoor:)

Easy for you to say, Willie. ;)

I shan't embarrass myself and risk offending someone with a Google Translate response. Instead I'll just thank you for showing me how it's done. :hat:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Shewee is a portable urinating device which allows women to wee whilst standing and without removing their clothes. Used for many years by campers, climbers, skiers, walkers, festival goers and those stuck in traffic jams

They pee through their knickers? Lordy! What a wet way to do things. Who'd have thought?

Wait a minute. Now I get it: that pink is their bush. Oh, Lordy! Lordy!

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've finally learnt that my week-old Samsung Galaxy J5 likes to be charged when lying on its side, not flat on its back. Go figure.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This morning I learnt a hitherto unknown-to-me word from a Guardian article @James from London posted in the Corrie forum.

Now I just need to work "echt" into a sentence. Ideally without someone passing me a tissue afterwards.
That's a new one on me, too!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've finally learnt that my week-old Samsung Galaxy J5 likes to be charged when lying on its side, not flat on its back. Go figure.
I almost funny-rated that but then I realized you weren't kidding. After all, my computer modem is placed standing up (on carpet) so when I'm hoovering I have to be very careful not to hit it (although I usually just pick it up and hoover underneath it, making the carpet plush-y again and as a result the modem stands up quite unbalanced for another week).

I've learned/learnt today that most YouTube videos are clickbait especially the ones that promise they're not clickbait at all.
Although the "fail" may refer to the compilation itself, not the actual content.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, youtube has become just another for-profit enterprise on the web. It's a shame, too because it used to be a fun place to explore. Seems that all places on the web lose their appeal once people try to monetize them.

I learned last night that the supermarket I go to most often is going to close down in the near future. :rip:

Winn-Dixie's parent company, Southeast Grocers, is closing about 90 of their stores and filing Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. It's not the only supermarket I shop at, but my favorite in the area and the closest one to where I live, so I'm going to have to find another 'favorite'. I'm no fan of Publix, but they're practically a monopoly here. I guess I held out as long as I could.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I learned last night that the supermarket I go to most often is going to close down in the near future
Your supermarket drama reads like a soap, so it only makes sense that it ends with a cliffhanger.

*A mysterious, filthy rich and dashingly handsome man arrives in town - is he going to destroy or save Daniel's favourite supermarket? TBC*

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I never realised until today that the song - ’Somebody That I Used To Know’ by Gotye, samples ’Baa Baa Black Sheep’.