Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Dallas the TV series
Dallas Writers Room
JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction
What If
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="CeeCee72" data-source="post: 229175" data-attributes="member: 5055"><p>I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.</p><p></p><p></p><p>This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO?</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>What If</p><p></p><p></p><p>Part 95</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"Mornin' everyone," JR appeared at the breakfast table and sat down in his usual spot.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Good morning, JR," Ellie smiled at him. "You're looking well rested "</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes. I am," JR smiled to himself. He and Sue had made love several times the night before, until they had both collapsed from exhaustion and slept like rocks.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You coming to the office this morning?" Bobby asked his brother.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No. I thought I'd stick close to the house today. Hey, Ray," JR deliberately engaged the other man in conversation, "I was planning to take Lucy, James, and the boys down to the firing range later. Want to come along?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Well, that depends, JR," Ray sat back in his chair and shot him a suspicious look. </p><p></p><p></p><p>"On what?" </p><p></p><p></p><p>"On whether you're planning to use me as your target."</p><p></p><p></p><p>JR laughed heartily and shook his head. "Nope. Just some good ol' fashioned aiming practice."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"In that case, yeah. I'd like to come with you guys."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Speaking of James and Lucy," Pam interjected, "where are they this morning?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"They left early," Ellie informed her. "Said James has an errand to run in Dallas. They'll be back before lunch."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Good morning," Sue Ellen nodded at everyone as she glided into the room. </p><p></p><p></p><p>JR stood and pulled her chair out for her. "Darlin'" he greeted her with a kiss on the cheek and pushed her chair in once she was seated.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Sue Ellen, do you happen to be going over to the new house today?" Pam asked her.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes, I am. They're delivering the last of the new furniture today. Want to keep me company?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'd love to," Pam smiled. "I picked out some things for Christopher's room that I'd like to take over."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Wonderful," Sue Ellen nodded at her sister-in-law.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Well," Bobby said, standing up, "I'd better get to the office. Someone has to make a living around here."</p><p></p><p></p><p>JR chuckled and winked at his brother. "You're the President. Heavy is the head that wears the crown."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Bobby laughed along with his brother before bending down to kiss Pam goodbye. "See you tonight."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'd better get moving too," Clayton said, standing up. "Jack will be home from April's soon. Don't want him beating me to work."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Patricia and I are going into town this morning," Ellie told her husband. "We'll be back after lunch."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Clayton nodded and walked from the room.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'm going to go round up the boys and see if they want take a ride with me over to the new house," JR said, leaning over to kiss Sue Ellen's cheek before standing up. "I'll see you ladies over there later."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Well, well," Ray said thoughtfully once JR was gone.</p><p></p><p>"He's certainly in a better mood than he was in the last time I saw him."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes," Sue Ellen blushed slightly. "We had a… nice talk last night."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Talk!" Pam repeated and laughed. "That smile on his face is a result of more than a talk!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen's cheeks grew even redder."Well, we all use what we have," she repeated the line JR said to her often.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Good for you!" Ellie clapped her hand on the table while Pam and Ray laughed. "That's our girl!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Who are you?" Vanessa demanded, looking past James and narrowing her gaze on Lucy.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Her name is Lucy Ewing," James informed his mother coldly. "She's my cousin."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Your cousin? I take it the paternity test proved JR is your father?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No. It didn't. Do you really want to do this in the hallway or are you going to invite us in?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>Vanessa moved away from the door to let them enter.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"If JR isn't your father, then she's not your cousin."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Now see, you'd think that, wouldn't you?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Does this mean you're ready to give up this nonsense and come back to Europe with me to claim your rightful place as a Brumin?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No, mother," James said tightly. "I'm not a Brumin, I'm a Ewing. And you know that."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You just said the test proved JR wasn't your father."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"That's true. But it also proved he is either my uncle or my cousin."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Vanessa's eyes grew wide with shock, "But that's not… how can a blood test…"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"It wasn't a blood test mother. It was a DNA test. Amazing how far science has advanced. They can tell a lot more from a paternity test than they used to be able to."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Why are you here, James?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I had a second test yesterday. Will have the results today sometime. More than likely I'll know exactly who my real father is before I got to bed tonight. But I want to know how you met him. I want to know what he was like. I want to know if you cared for him."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I see," Vanessa replied cooly. "And if I tell you these things, will you keep the results to yourself and come back home with me to fight Nestor for what is rightfully ours?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No mother. I have no right to the Brumin name, legacy, or money. I'm going to stay here with my family."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Then why should I tell you anything?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Because you're my mother," James replied. "And I hoped you would be willing to do this one single decent thing for me - your son. Your own flesh and blood."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"My son? You exist for one purpose, to ensure my share of the Brumin trust. If you refuse to serve that purpose then I have no use for you. Get out. I'll take my secrets to my grave before I give you one moment's peace."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"What an awful woman you are!" Lucy spoke for the first time.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I have been called worse by better," Vanessa bristled. "Now. Get out."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You nasty old bag of bones…"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"It's okay, Lucy," James interrupted her. "Let's just go."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"James, if you walk out that door I will disown you," Vanessa warned.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"That's alright, mother," James managed a bitter smile. "I disowned you already."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>Pam pushed open the front door of JR and Sue Ellen's new home and stopped in her tracks. "Oh, my Lord!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"What is it?" Sue Ellen asked from behind her. "If JR and the boys made a mess in here, I swear I'll…" she stopped talking and looked around with wide eyes. "When did he have time to do this?" she breathed out.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"It didn't take long," JR answered. He was sitting on the newly delivered sofa in the living room. "Just a quick call to the florist before I left the house this morning." He stood up and walked over to where the women were standing by the front door. "The boys are upstairs in Christopher's room waiting for you," he told Pam.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Well, I shouldn't keep them waiting then," Pam winked at him. She tightened her grip on the bags that contained Christopher's things and headed up the stairs.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"JR…" Sue Ellen's eyes swept around the house. There were yellow roses everywhere, "this is too much."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes," JR agreed. </p><p></p><p></p><p>"Why?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"For all the years. All the hurt. Just saying thanks for sticking with me. And apologizing in advance for being an ass in the future."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Are you going to be an ass in the future, JR?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes," JR chuckled. "It's what I am Sue Ellen. You know that. Sometimes I won't be able to help myself."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"And this thing with Ray?" she pushed him.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'll do my best, honey. I promise. It's hard. But…"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"But what?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"But I'll get over it. Eventually. And until I do, I'll do my very best not to take it out on you. When I fail, you can yell at me and smack me around. Deal?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No deal, JR," Sue Ellen looked him in the eyes. "I think I have more effective ways of putting you back in your place than yelling or smacking you around."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"That's absolute gospel," he grinned, pulling her into his arms, "and I like your idea for keeping me in line a whole lot better than mine."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Married?" Cliff gasped. "Really?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Really," April laughed. </p><p></p><p></p><p>They were having lunch together, trying to catch up on everything going on in their lives since they hadn't seen each other for several days.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"When?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"We haven't talked about setting a date yet. We just got engaged last night!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'm so happy for you. Congratulations."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Thanks, Cliff. I am thinking it will be a small wedding. I was hoping…"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"What?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Would you give me away?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>Cliff smiled a wide genuine smile. "No, April. I'll never give you away. But it would be my honor to escort you down the aisle and present you to Jack for marriage."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You're so sweet sometimes," April leaned forward and squeezed his hand. "Thank you."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Don't tell anyone," Cliff winked at her. "Gonna be a lot of wedding bells around here. You and Jack. Pam.and Bobby."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Any chance you and Afton will join the fun?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No," Cliff sighed. "Not for a while anyway."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Anything you want to talk about?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No," Cliff told her. "I just want to wait until I can trust she's done with the drugs forever. I love her. But I love Pammy more. I have to do what's right by my daughter. If Afton can't stay clean, then she'll have to go."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"She hasn't done anything to make you think she's using again, has she?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No," Cliff admitted. "It's just a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. And I hope it's wrong, April. I pray to God it's wrong."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"James and Lucy seem to be really bonding."</p><p></p><p></p><p>JR turned his head and looked at Ray. "I'm happy about that. It's good for her to have someone closer to her own age around here to hang out with."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Ray nodded. They were silent for a while as they watched the younger Ewings unload their guns at targets.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"John Ross and Christopher need a lot more practice," JR finally said. "I need to make time to bring them down here more often."</p><p></p><p></p><p>*Are we okay, JR?" Ray blurted out.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I was thinking today," JR mused, "about the way we were back then. Always chasing a skirt. Not so friendly competition."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yeah. So?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"So, if the situation had been reversed… I mean if I had been you and a woman like Sue Ellen showed up in front of me drunk and needy… I guess I would have done the same thing you did."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"JR…" Ray shifted uncomfortably.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'm just being honest Ray. We didn't know we were brothers. It's my fault she was outside, drunk and looking for attention. But I just gotta know one thing."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"What?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"She's my wife Ray. I loved her then, but not like I love her now. So I gotta know - do you ever think of her like that now? Do you still want her?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"JR, no. The day after, well, I won't lie. I was hoping we could make it an ongoing thing. But she wouldn't even give me the time of day. Even insisted that I call her Mrs. Ewing. I moved on and forgot all about it. Over the years I have come to love and respect her. As a sister and a friend. That's it. Sue Ellen isn't that same woman anymore. And I'm not that same man."</p><p></p><p></p><p>JR nodded and turned his gaze back to the range. "I guess we're okay then."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Good," Ray sighed. "Because I happen to love my brother too."</p><p></p><p></p><p>JR cut his eyes back to Ray's face. "And your brother loves you," he grunted. "Just don't expect me to admit it in polite company."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Having fun?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Oh yes, Mrs. Ew..I mean Sue Ellen. I really love these afternoon swim times."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Being a Ewing has it's good points, James. I want to apologize to you for all the drama yesterday."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No need. Every family has drama."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I guess that's true, but I can't imagine any family having as much as we do!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>James laughed and shook his head. "I… I just want to thank you again for being so kind to me. I know you're probably relieved that I'm not JR's son, but I would have really liked to have you as a step-mother."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Oh, James, I am so happy to have you in this family. Truly. And don't worry. I may not be your step-mother, but I'm a pretty awesome aunt or cousin-in-law. Just ask Christopher or Lucy."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I don't need to ask them," James smiled at her. "I can already tell."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"James!" Miss Ellie yelled his name from the sliding glass door leading into the kitchen. "JR and Jack have Dr. Parks on the phone!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Wish me luck," he stood and turned to walk away.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"James," she grabbed his hand and stopped him. "You don't need luck, do you understand me? You're a Ewing. You have us now. We're all you'll ever need."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Thank you, Dr. Parks," JR said. "We appreciate all you've done for us."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Absolutely. Happy to help. Don't forget Mrs. Ewing has an appointment with me next week."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"She'll be there," JR promised and pushed the button to kill the phone call. "Well..now we know."</p><p></p><p></p><p>James stood rock still, his gaze fixed on the floor. "I really am a Ewing. Ray?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes, James?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Can I… I mean, would it be okay if I called Charlie? I have a sudden urge to apologize to her again."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Anytime you want," Ray told him. "It will make her happy to hear from you."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"We're cousins now," James mused.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"In every way that counts, yes,' Ray agreed.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"James?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>James raised his eyes and locked his gaze with Jack's. "Yes?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I want to show you something."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Jack pulled his wallet out of his pants and took out a picture. "Her name is...was Jamie. She was your sister." He handed the picture to the younger man and waited while James studied it.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"She was very pretty. Sue Ellen told me a lot about her. I wish I had known her."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"She would have loved you,' Jack told him. "Immediately and without questions."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Can we… Jack, can we go somewhere and talk?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes," Jack put his arm around James. "Let's go down to the stables….brother."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"James and Jack aren't back yet?" Sue Ellen wondered out loud. "They missed dinner."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"No," April shook her head. "They have a lot to talk about I guess."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'll keep something warm for them," Ellie promised. "Michelle, it's so nice to have you here tonight. I hope you'll come visit more often now that April and Jack have become engaged."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Wait...you know?" April asked, shocked.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Oh, honey, Clayton knew," Sue Ellen giggled. "That man can't keep a secret to save his life!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"We weren't hiding it," April said quickly. "We just thought…"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You'd wait for the drama to die down?" Ellie laughed. "You'd be waiting forever. There's always drama around here."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I… I hope you're all happy about it."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"We're all thrilled. Sue Ellen and I both jumped with joy," Ellie assured her. "Come on. Let's fix some plates for your man and your soon to be brother-in-law."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Congratulations, April," Sue Ellen winked at her as she followed Miss Ellie back into the kitchen.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Mrs. Ewing?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen turned her attention to Michelle, who remained beside her at the patio table. "Please call me Sue Ellen. I understand you're working at April's restaurant now. How is that going?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Very well," Michelle smiled. "I enjoy it a lot. April has let me take over some things. She says I have a real gift for it."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Good," Sue Ellen smiled. "So you'll be staying in Dallas?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes. Sue Ellen… I owe you an apology."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"For what?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"The way I acted the last time I was here. I flirted with your husband. It was disrespectful to you and I sincerely apologize."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen grinned and shook her head. "My husband is a very wealthy, very attractive man. I can understand why you'd be tempted to flirt with him."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes. Still. I'm sorry."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Michelle, you're April's sister. I love her and she clearly loves you. Let's just forget the whole thing...with one very serious warning. JR is mine. He loves me. And I love him. He gets… tempted around young, pretty girls. In the past he has given into that temptation. I won't ever let that happen again. Do you understand me?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes. You won't have to worry about me anymore. I promise."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I wouldn't have to be worried no matter what," Sue Ellen told her cooly. "Still, I'm glad to know you won't try again."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"'I won't."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Good. Then I see absolutely no reason why we can't be friends."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You are an amazing woman," Michelle told her.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yes. My husband thinks so too."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Hey ladies,"Jack said before Michelle could respond. "I can't seem to find April."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"She's in the kitchen with Miss Ellie fixing you two plates."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Ah," Jack smiled. "Oh, James, this is April's sister Michelle. Michelle, this is James…. My brother."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Hi," Michelle held out her hand to him.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Nice to meet you," James took her hand and shook it.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen and Jack exchanged knowing looks when James held on to Michelle's hand a bit too long.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Come on," Jack clapped James on his back. "Let's go find my woman and get some food."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Lucy!" JR suddenly appeared on the patio. "Get out of the pool and come inside. Your parents are on the phone."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Lucy climbed out of the pool and grabbed a towel to dry off. "Everything okay, JR?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Just fine. I called Gary to tell him his pitiful 49ers are playing the Cowboys in a couple weeks. I invited him to come watch the slaughter in person."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Oh, it'll be a slaughter alright," Michelle mumbled. "The Niners are gonna kill Dallas."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You think so?" JR asked. "Why?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Two words…" Michelle started</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Joe Montana," James finished for her. </p><p></p><p></p><p>"Exactly," Michelle smiled. "Excuse me, Sue Ellen. I think I'll go into the kitchen with Jack and James."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen nodded and smiled as Michelle stood and walked away behind the two men.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Did I miss something?" JR asked, flopping down in the chair Michelle had vacated.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen smiled and reached out to take his hand. "Time will tell."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Michelle apologized to me tonight," Sue Ellen said, laying her brush on the vanity.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Oh yeah? For what?" JR closed his book and put it on the bedside table.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Flirting with my husband," she said triumphantly. "I told you I had reason to be jealous!"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You happen to be jealous now?" he watched as she took off her robe and climbed into the bed. "Because as I recall, the jealous sex was pretty hot."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Sorry, JR," she laughed at him. "I have absolutely no reason to be jealous of Michelle. Or any other woman."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Is that so?" he teased her."Are you sure?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"100 percent sure. Just as you have no reason to be jealous of any other man."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Can I ask you a question?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Of course."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Do you even know who Joe Montana is?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Of course I do, JR," she rolled her eyes. "He's that handsome man with those gorgeous eyes who does all those commercials about going to Disney World."</p><p></p><p></p><p>JR burst out laughing and reached for her. He pulled her over until she was resting on top of him. "I thought my eyes were the only eyes on a man you thought were gorgeous."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yours aren't just gorgeous, JR. They're soul crushing."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Make love to me, Miss Texas."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You're wish," she said, positioning herself on top of him, "is my command."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p></p><p>The shrill ringing of the telephone woke JR out of a deep sleep. He sat up and blindly reached for the phone. "Hello?" he reached for his watch and saw it was 3:18 a.m. "Who? Who is this? Yeah. Hang on."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"What's wrong, JR?" Sue Ellen asked, her voice thick with sleep </p><p></p><p></p><p>"Dallas Memorial," he answered shortly, getting out of bed and putting on his robe. "They're looking for James.'</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen climbed out of bed, threw on a robe, and followed JR into the hallway. He knocked several times on James's door before the other man appeared. "JR?" </p><p></p><p></p><p>"There's a phone call for you. It's Dallas Memorial hospital."</p><p></p><p></p><p>James wiped the sleep from his eyes and moved back into the bedroom to pick up the phone. "Yes? This is James Brumin."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"What's going on?" Lucy asked Sue Ellen in the hallway. "Who is calling here at this time of the night?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen put her finger to her mouth to indicate Lucy should hush.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"It's my mother," James said, appearing back in the doorway. "Massive coronary. They said it's bad and she wants to see me."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"We'll take you," Sue Ellen said immediately. "Just give us a few minutes to get dressed."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I'm going too," Lucy said.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen nodded at her niece. "Good. And call Jack over at April's."</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Okay," Lucy disappeared back down the hall and into her room.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"You all don't have to go…"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Of course we do," JR corrected him. "We're family."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen reached out and touched the young man's shoulder. "Are you alright?"</p><p></p><p></p><p>"Yeah. I don't even… It's awful I know, but I don't even feel anything."</p><p></p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen moved forward and gave him a quick hug. "It's alright. Get dressed. We'll meet you downstairs in ten minutes."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="CeeCee72, post: 229175, member: 5055"] I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended. This is a "What if?" fanfic. What if in the season eleven episode "Top Gun" Sue Ellen had changed her mind at the last possible moment and instead of teaming up with Kimberly and Wendell to beat JR she voted her Weststar shares to make him CEO? *** What If Part 95 *** "Mornin' everyone," JR appeared at the breakfast table and sat down in his usual spot. "Good morning, JR," Ellie smiled at him. "You're looking well rested " "Yes. I am," JR smiled to himself. He and Sue had made love several times the night before, until they had both collapsed from exhaustion and slept like rocks. "You coming to the office this morning?" Bobby asked his brother. "No. I thought I'd stick close to the house today. Hey, Ray," JR deliberately engaged the other man in conversation, "I was planning to take Lucy, James, and the boys down to the firing range later. Want to come along?" "Well, that depends, JR," Ray sat back in his chair and shot him a suspicious look. "On what?" "On whether you're planning to use me as your target." JR laughed heartily and shook his head. "Nope. Just some good ol' fashioned aiming practice." "In that case, yeah. I'd like to come with you guys." "Speaking of James and Lucy," Pam interjected, "where are they this morning?" "They left early," Ellie informed her. "Said James has an errand to run in Dallas. They'll be back before lunch." "Good morning," Sue Ellen nodded at everyone as she glided into the room. JR stood and pulled her chair out for her. "Darlin'" he greeted her with a kiss on the cheek and pushed her chair in once she was seated. "Sue Ellen, do you happen to be going over to the new house today?" Pam asked her. "Yes, I am. They're delivering the last of the new furniture today. Want to keep me company?" "I'd love to," Pam smiled. "I picked out some things for Christopher's room that I'd like to take over." "Wonderful," Sue Ellen nodded at her sister-in-law. "Well," Bobby said, standing up, "I'd better get to the office. Someone has to make a living around here." JR chuckled and winked at his brother. "You're the President. Heavy is the head that wears the crown." Bobby laughed along with his brother before bending down to kiss Pam goodbye. "See you tonight." "I'd better get moving too," Clayton said, standing up. "Jack will be home from April's soon. Don't want him beating me to work." "Patricia and I are going into town this morning," Ellie told her husband. "We'll be back after lunch." Clayton nodded and walked from the room. "I'm going to go round up the boys and see if they want take a ride with me over to the new house," JR said, leaning over to kiss Sue Ellen's cheek before standing up. "I'll see you ladies over there later." "Well, well," Ray said thoughtfully once JR was gone. "He's certainly in a better mood than he was in the last time I saw him." "Yes," Sue Ellen blushed slightly. "We had a… nice talk last night." "Talk!" Pam repeated and laughed. "That smile on his face is a result of more than a talk!" Sue Ellen's cheeks grew even redder."Well, we all use what we have," she repeated the line JR said to her often. "Good for you!" Ellie clapped her hand on the table while Pam and Ray laughed. "That's our girl!" *** "Who are you?" Vanessa demanded, looking past James and narrowing her gaze on Lucy. "Her name is Lucy Ewing," James informed his mother coldly. "She's my cousin." "Your cousin? I take it the paternity test proved JR is your father?" "No. It didn't. Do you really want to do this in the hallway or are you going to invite us in?" Vanessa moved away from the door to let them enter. "If JR isn't your father, then she's not your cousin." "Now see, you'd think that, wouldn't you?" "Does this mean you're ready to give up this nonsense and come back to Europe with me to claim your rightful place as a Brumin?" "No, mother," James said tightly. "I'm not a Brumin, I'm a Ewing. And you know that." "You just said the test proved JR wasn't your father." "That's true. But it also proved he is either my uncle or my cousin." Vanessa's eyes grew wide with shock, "But that's not… how can a blood test…" "It wasn't a blood test mother. It was a DNA test. Amazing how far science has advanced. They can tell a lot more from a paternity test than they used to be able to." "Why are you here, James?" "I had a second test yesterday. Will have the results today sometime. More than likely I'll know exactly who my real father is before I got to bed tonight. But I want to know how you met him. I want to know what he was like. I want to know if you cared for him." "I see," Vanessa replied cooly. "And if I tell you these things, will you keep the results to yourself and come back home with me to fight Nestor for what is rightfully ours?" "No mother. I have no right to the Brumin name, legacy, or money. I'm going to stay here with my family." "Then why should I tell you anything?" "Because you're my mother," James replied. "And I hoped you would be willing to do this one single decent thing for me - your son. Your own flesh and blood." "My son? You exist for one purpose, to ensure my share of the Brumin trust. If you refuse to serve that purpose then I have no use for you. Get out. I'll take my secrets to my grave before I give you one moment's peace." "What an awful woman you are!" Lucy spoke for the first time. "I have been called worse by better," Vanessa bristled. "Now. Get out." "You nasty old bag of bones…" "It's okay, Lucy," James interrupted her. "Let's just go." "James, if you walk out that door I will disown you," Vanessa warned. "That's alright, mother," James managed a bitter smile. "I disowned you already." *** Pam pushed open the front door of JR and Sue Ellen's new home and stopped in her tracks. "Oh, my Lord!" "What is it?" Sue Ellen asked from behind her. "If JR and the boys made a mess in here, I swear I'll…" she stopped talking and looked around with wide eyes. "When did he have time to do this?" she breathed out. "It didn't take long," JR answered. He was sitting on the newly delivered sofa in the living room. "Just a quick call to the florist before I left the house this morning." He stood up and walked over to where the women were standing by the front door. "The boys are upstairs in Christopher's room waiting for you," he told Pam. "Well, I shouldn't keep them waiting then," Pam winked at him. She tightened her grip on the bags that contained Christopher's things and headed up the stairs. "JR…" Sue Ellen's eyes swept around the house. There were yellow roses everywhere, "this is too much." "Yes," JR agreed. "Why?" "For all the years. All the hurt. Just saying thanks for sticking with me. And apologizing in advance for being an ass in the future." "Are you going to be an ass in the future, JR?" "Yes," JR chuckled. "It's what I am Sue Ellen. You know that. Sometimes I won't be able to help myself." "And this thing with Ray?" she pushed him. "I'll do my best, honey. I promise. It's hard. But…" "But what?" "But I'll get over it. Eventually. And until I do, I'll do my very best not to take it out on you. When I fail, you can yell at me and smack me around. Deal?" "No deal, JR," Sue Ellen looked him in the eyes. "I think I have more effective ways of putting you back in your place than yelling or smacking you around." "That's absolute gospel," he grinned, pulling her into his arms, "and I like your idea for keeping me in line a whole lot better than mine." *** "Married?" Cliff gasped. "Really?" "Really," April laughed. They were having lunch together, trying to catch up on everything going on in their lives since they hadn't seen each other for several days. "When?" "We haven't talked about setting a date yet. We just got engaged last night!" "I'm so happy for you. Congratulations." "Thanks, Cliff. I am thinking it will be a small wedding. I was hoping…" "What?" "Would you give me away?" Cliff smiled a wide genuine smile. "No, April. I'll never give you away. But it would be my honor to escort you down the aisle and present you to Jack for marriage." "You're so sweet sometimes," April leaned forward and squeezed his hand. "Thank you." "Don't tell anyone," Cliff winked at her. "Gonna be a lot of wedding bells around here. You and Jack. Pam.and Bobby." "Any chance you and Afton will join the fun?" "No," Cliff sighed. "Not for a while anyway." "Anything you want to talk about?" "No," Cliff told her. "I just want to wait until I can trust she's done with the drugs forever. I love her. But I love Pammy more. I have to do what's right by my daughter. If Afton can't stay clean, then she'll have to go." "She hasn't done anything to make you think she's using again, has she?" "No," Cliff admitted. "It's just a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. And I hope it's wrong, April. I pray to God it's wrong." *** "James and Lucy seem to be really bonding." JR turned his head and looked at Ray. "I'm happy about that. It's good for her to have someone closer to her own age around here to hang out with." Ray nodded. They were silent for a while as they watched the younger Ewings unload their guns at targets. "John Ross and Christopher need a lot more practice," JR finally said. "I need to make time to bring them down here more often." *Are we okay, JR?" Ray blurted out. "I was thinking today," JR mused, "about the way we were back then. Always chasing a skirt. Not so friendly competition." "Yeah. So?" "So, if the situation had been reversed… I mean if I had been you and a woman like Sue Ellen showed up in front of me drunk and needy… I guess I would have done the same thing you did." "JR…" Ray shifted uncomfortably. "I'm just being honest Ray. We didn't know we were brothers. It's my fault she was outside, drunk and looking for attention. But I just gotta know one thing." "What?" "She's my wife Ray. I loved her then, but not like I love her now. So I gotta know - do you ever think of her like that now? Do you still want her?" "JR, no. The day after, well, I won't lie. I was hoping we could make it an ongoing thing. But she wouldn't even give me the time of day. Even insisted that I call her Mrs. Ewing. I moved on and forgot all about it. Over the years I have come to love and respect her. As a sister and a friend. That's it. Sue Ellen isn't that same woman anymore. And I'm not that same man." JR nodded and turned his gaze back to the range. "I guess we're okay then." "Good," Ray sighed. "Because I happen to love my brother too." JR cut his eyes back to Ray's face. "And your brother loves you," he grunted. "Just don't expect me to admit it in polite company." *** "Having fun?" "Oh yes, Mrs. Ew..I mean Sue Ellen. I really love these afternoon swim times." "Being a Ewing has it's good points, James. I want to apologize to you for all the drama yesterday." "No need. Every family has drama." "I guess that's true, but I can't imagine any family having as much as we do!" James laughed and shook his head. "I… I just want to thank you again for being so kind to me. I know you're probably relieved that I'm not JR's son, but I would have really liked to have you as a step-mother." "Oh, James, I am so happy to have you in this family. Truly. And don't worry. I may not be your step-mother, but I'm a pretty awesome aunt or cousin-in-law. Just ask Christopher or Lucy." "I don't need to ask them," James smiled at her. "I can already tell." "James!" Miss Ellie yelled his name from the sliding glass door leading into the kitchen. "JR and Jack have Dr. Parks on the phone!" "Wish me luck," he stood and turned to walk away. "James," she grabbed his hand and stopped him. "You don't need luck, do you understand me? You're a Ewing. You have us now. We're all you'll ever need." *** "Thank you, Dr. Parks," JR said. "We appreciate all you've done for us." "Absolutely. Happy to help. Don't forget Mrs. Ewing has an appointment with me next week." "She'll be there," JR promised and pushed the button to kill the phone call. "Well..now we know." James stood rock still, his gaze fixed on the floor. "I really am a Ewing. Ray?" "Yes, James?" "Can I… I mean, would it be okay if I called Charlie? I have a sudden urge to apologize to her again." "Anytime you want," Ray told him. "It will make her happy to hear from you." "We're cousins now," James mused. "In every way that counts, yes,' Ray agreed. "James?" James raised his eyes and locked his gaze with Jack's. "Yes?" "I want to show you something." Jack pulled his wallet out of his pants and took out a picture. "Her name is...was Jamie. She was your sister." He handed the picture to the younger man and waited while James studied it. "She was very pretty. Sue Ellen told me a lot about her. I wish I had known her." "She would have loved you,' Jack told him. "Immediately and without questions." "Can we… Jack, can we go somewhere and talk?" "Yes," Jack put his arm around James. "Let's go down to the stables….brother." *** "James and Jack aren't back yet?" Sue Ellen wondered out loud. "They missed dinner." "No," April shook her head. "They have a lot to talk about I guess." "I'll keep something warm for them," Ellie promised. "Michelle, it's so nice to have you here tonight. I hope you'll come visit more often now that April and Jack have become engaged." "Wait...you know?" April asked, shocked. "Oh, honey, Clayton knew," Sue Ellen giggled. "That man can't keep a secret to save his life!" "We weren't hiding it," April said quickly. "We just thought…" "You'd wait for the drama to die down?" Ellie laughed. "You'd be waiting forever. There's always drama around here." "I… I hope you're all happy about it." "We're all thrilled. Sue Ellen and I both jumped with joy," Ellie assured her. "Come on. Let's fix some plates for your man and your soon to be brother-in-law." "Congratulations, April," Sue Ellen winked at her as she followed Miss Ellie back into the kitchen. "Mrs. Ewing?" Sue Ellen turned her attention to Michelle, who remained beside her at the patio table. "Please call me Sue Ellen. I understand you're working at April's restaurant now. How is that going?" "Very well," Michelle smiled. "I enjoy it a lot. April has let me take over some things. She says I have a real gift for it." "Good," Sue Ellen smiled. "So you'll be staying in Dallas?" "Yes. Sue Ellen… I owe you an apology." "For what?" "The way I acted the last time I was here. I flirted with your husband. It was disrespectful to you and I sincerely apologize." Sue Ellen grinned and shook her head. "My husband is a very wealthy, very attractive man. I can understand why you'd be tempted to flirt with him." "Yes. Still. I'm sorry." "Michelle, you're April's sister. I love her and she clearly loves you. Let's just forget the whole thing...with one very serious warning. JR is mine. He loves me. And I love him. He gets… tempted around young, pretty girls. In the past he has given into that temptation. I won't ever let that happen again. Do you understand me?" "Yes. You won't have to worry about me anymore. I promise." "I wouldn't have to be worried no matter what," Sue Ellen told her cooly. "Still, I'm glad to know you won't try again." "'I won't." "Good. Then I see absolutely no reason why we can't be friends." "You are an amazing woman," Michelle told her. "Yes. My husband thinks so too." "Hey ladies,"Jack said before Michelle could respond. "I can't seem to find April." "She's in the kitchen with Miss Ellie fixing you two plates." "Ah," Jack smiled. "Oh, James, this is April's sister Michelle. Michelle, this is James…. My brother." "Hi," Michelle held out her hand to him. "Nice to meet you," James took her hand and shook it. Sue Ellen and Jack exchanged knowing looks when James held on to Michelle's hand a bit too long. "Come on," Jack clapped James on his back. "Let's go find my woman and get some food." "Lucy!" JR suddenly appeared on the patio. "Get out of the pool and come inside. Your parents are on the phone." Lucy climbed out of the pool and grabbed a towel to dry off. "Everything okay, JR?" "Just fine. I called Gary to tell him his pitiful 49ers are playing the Cowboys in a couple weeks. I invited him to come watch the slaughter in person." "Oh, it'll be a slaughter alright," Michelle mumbled. "The Niners are gonna kill Dallas." "You think so?" JR asked. "Why?" "Two words…" Michelle started "Joe Montana," James finished for her. "Exactly," Michelle smiled. "Excuse me, Sue Ellen. I think I'll go into the kitchen with Jack and James." Sue Ellen nodded and smiled as Michelle stood and walked away behind the two men. "Did I miss something?" JR asked, flopping down in the chair Michelle had vacated. Sue Ellen smiled and reached out to take his hand. "Time will tell." *** "Michelle apologized to me tonight," Sue Ellen said, laying her brush on the vanity. "Oh yeah? For what?" JR closed his book and put it on the bedside table. "Flirting with my husband," she said triumphantly. "I told you I had reason to be jealous!" "You happen to be jealous now?" he watched as she took off her robe and climbed into the bed. "Because as I recall, the jealous sex was pretty hot." "Sorry, JR," she laughed at him. "I have absolutely no reason to be jealous of Michelle. Or any other woman." "Is that so?" he teased her."Are you sure?" "100 percent sure. Just as you have no reason to be jealous of any other man." "Can I ask you a question?" "Of course." "Do you even know who Joe Montana is?" "Of course I do, JR," she rolled her eyes. "He's that handsome man with those gorgeous eyes who does all those commercials about going to Disney World." JR burst out laughing and reached for her. He pulled her over until she was resting on top of him. "I thought my eyes were the only eyes on a man you thought were gorgeous." "Yours aren't just gorgeous, JR. They're soul crushing." "Make love to me, Miss Texas." "You're wish," she said, positioning herself on top of him, "is my command." *** The shrill ringing of the telephone woke JR out of a deep sleep. He sat up and blindly reached for the phone. "Hello?" he reached for his watch and saw it was 3:18 a.m. "Who? Who is this? Yeah. Hang on." "What's wrong, JR?" Sue Ellen asked, her voice thick with sleep "Dallas Memorial," he answered shortly, getting out of bed and putting on his robe. "They're looking for James.' Sue Ellen climbed out of bed, threw on a robe, and followed JR into the hallway. He knocked several times on James's door before the other man appeared. "JR?" "There's a phone call for you. It's Dallas Memorial hospital." James wiped the sleep from his eyes and moved back into the bedroom to pick up the phone. "Yes? This is James Brumin." "What's going on?" Lucy asked Sue Ellen in the hallway. "Who is calling here at this time of the night?" Sue Ellen put her finger to her mouth to indicate Lucy should hush. "It's my mother," James said, appearing back in the doorway. "Massive coronary. They said it's bad and she wants to see me." "We'll take you," Sue Ellen said immediately. "Just give us a few minutes to get dressed." "I'm going too," Lucy said. Sue Ellen nodded at her niece. "Good. And call Jack over at April's." "Okay," Lucy disappeared back down the hall and into her room. "You all don't have to go…" "Of course we do," JR corrected him. "We're family." Sue Ellen reached out and touched the young man's shoulder. "Are you alright?" "Yeah. I don't even… It's awful I know, but I don't even feel anything." Sue Ellen moved forward and gave him a quick hug. "It's alright. Get dressed. We'll meet you downstairs in ten minutes." *** [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Dallas the TV series
Dallas Writers Room
JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction
What If
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top