Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 405145" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]53852[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>A travelling American family gets involved with a political scheme leading to the kidnapping of their young son.</p><p>Watching them connecting the dots without too much effort the film kinda looks like an extended TV episode about a popular sleuth couple.</p><p>Even before the real action starts they suspect there's something fishy going on.</p><p></p><p>The panic and despair one would expect to see in a situation like this has to make way for James and Doris' amateur detective work, but I guess it's always fun to watch James Stewart crawling across a rooftop.</p><p>The funniest scene happens in the stuffed animal shop when a fight breaks out and all the employers quickly move the stuffed animals to make sure nothing gets damaged. And the reason this is so funny is because it took me a moment to realise <em>what</em> they were doing.</p><p></p><p>The last scenes in the embassy are frustratingly drawn out without the suspense to justify it.</p><p>Doris Day gives a 12" version performance of Que Sera Sera at maximum volume (admittedly, not without reason, but that doesn't make it less annoying) and then finally it all ends on the ever-reliable movie staircase.</p><p>However, the film itself ends with one of the most iconic last lines in the history of motion picture.</p><p></p><p>I haven't seen many films starring Doris Day - in fact I'd be hard-pressed to name just one - so this was partially the reason I chose this Hitchcock film.</p><p>Despite the sometimes questionable script she's very good in the dramatic scenes that matter. I'd like to see more of her as long as it's not one of those happy campfire comedies.</p><p></p><p>All in all, it's not a great film but it's entertaining enough for the proverbial "rainy Sunday afternoon".</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 405145, member: 8"] THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956) [ATTACH type="full"]53852[/ATTACH] A travelling American family gets involved with a political scheme leading to the kidnapping of their young son. Watching them connecting the dots without too much effort the film kinda looks like an extended TV episode about a popular sleuth couple. Even before the real action starts they suspect there's something fishy going on. The panic and despair one would expect to see in a situation like this has to make way for James and Doris' amateur detective work, but I guess it's always fun to watch James Stewart crawling across a rooftop. The funniest scene happens in the stuffed animal shop when a fight breaks out and all the employers quickly move the stuffed animals to make sure nothing gets damaged. And the reason this is so funny is because it took me a moment to realise [I]what[/I] they were doing. The last scenes in the embassy are frustratingly drawn out without the suspense to justify it. Doris Day gives a 12" version performance of Que Sera Sera at maximum volume (admittedly, not without reason, but that doesn't make it less annoying) and then finally it all ends on the ever-reliable movie staircase. However, the film itself ends with one of the most iconic last lines in the history of motion picture. I haven't seen many films starring Doris Day - in fact I'd be hard-pressed to name just one - so this was partially the reason I chose this Hitchcock film. Despite the sometimes questionable script she's very good in the dramatic scenes that matter. I'd like to see more of her as long as it's not one of those happy campfire comedies. All in all, it's not a great film but it's entertaining enough for the proverbial "rainy Sunday afternoon". [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top