Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 407455" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>Yes, at least it raises the question, what's more preferable: the flawed believer or the flawed celibate.</p><p>Interestingly, the only person who knows exactly what he's doing and isn't plagued by any sort of dilemma is Lisa's abusive father (who also happens to be a devoted Catholic).</p><p>I was very surprised by the confident explanation he gives during the confession, and while that takes nothing away from the criminal aspect (pedophilia, sex without mutual consent) there is something about the way he describes the desires of "men" that made me think it might not be <em>entirely</em> false.</p><p>Again, that doesn't justify his actions but sometimes I find it more challenging and interesting to delve into the dark psyche of humanity.</p><p>Not to find a way to <em>agree</em> with it, but to understand it. Sometimes, knowledge can be just as rewarding and useful as thinking "I'm right and the other person is wrong".</p><p></p><p>I also wasn't sure if Father Greg asked for forgiveness for being gay or for his homosexual actions. After all, if he hadn't done anything - and therefore never been caught - no one would have to know about his sexuality.</p><p></p><p>I'm not sure if I wanted a perfect solution but at the same time it does feel a bit like a cop-out. One can continue to sin because it will be forgiven anyway - ironically, that's what the confessions seem to be all about.</p><p>But what makes the finale so great - and it's written as a story after all - is that he's not forgiven by the bigots but by the only person he had seriously wronged.</p><p></p><p>But if the dilemma about celibacy and homosexuality couldn't be explored to the fullest in the story itself, I think they could have at least dropped it in the lap of the viewer. In this case I feel it doesn't particularly linger on.</p><p>I don't know if it's related to any of this, but the film has many short "cuts" and sometimes it disrupts the emotional flow and urgency of the dilemma.</p><p></p><p>Or perhaps I simply <em>shouldn't</em> have watched FIRST REFORMED in preparation for PRIEST. But the DVD, despite its underwhelming picture quality, will be added to The Collection, so I guess it's still a winner anyway.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 407455, member: 8"] Yes, at least it raises the question, what's more preferable: the flawed believer or the flawed celibate. Interestingly, the only person who knows exactly what he's doing and isn't plagued by any sort of dilemma is Lisa's abusive father (who also happens to be a devoted Catholic). I was very surprised by the confident explanation he gives during the confession, and while that takes nothing away from the criminal aspect (pedophilia, sex without mutual consent) there is something about the way he describes the desires of "men" that made me think it might not be [I]entirely[/I] false. Again, that doesn't justify his actions but sometimes I find it more challenging and interesting to delve into the dark psyche of humanity. Not to find a way to [I]agree[/I] with it, but to understand it. Sometimes, knowledge can be just as rewarding and useful as thinking "I'm right and the other person is wrong". I also wasn't sure if Father Greg asked for forgiveness for being gay or for his homosexual actions. After all, if he hadn't done anything - and therefore never been caught - no one would have to know about his sexuality. I'm not sure if I wanted a perfect solution but at the same time it does feel a bit like a cop-out. One can continue to sin because it will be forgiven anyway - ironically, that's what the confessions seem to be all about. But what makes the finale so great - and it's written as a story after all - is that he's not forgiven by the bigots but by the only person he had seriously wronged. But if the dilemma about celibacy and homosexuality couldn't be explored to the fullest in the story itself, I think they could have at least dropped it in the lap of the viewer. In this case I feel it doesn't particularly linger on. I don't know if it's related to any of this, but the film has many short "cuts" and sometimes it disrupts the emotional flow and urgency of the dilemma. Or perhaps I simply [I]shouldn't[/I] have watched FIRST REFORMED in preparation for PRIEST. But the DVD, despite its underwhelming picture quality, will be added to The Collection, so I guess it's still a winner anyway. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top