Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 411336" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>SPEED (1994)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]54595[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>I enjoyed it very much when I watched it for the first time way back in the 1990s, but yesterday I noticed how truly outstanding this film is.</p><p>I'm sure there are lots of special effects, but....it just doesn't <em>feel </em>like it. It looks so different from modern blockbusters!</p><p>Never been Keanu's biggest fan but I simply cannot picture anyone else playing Jack. There's something about his soft-spokenness that really needs to be here, and his chemistry with Sandra Bullock is possibly the best I've ever seen in this type of film.</p><p>While it has its light moments there's enough room for genuine despair, and there's a lot of detail for everything else's that's going in the story.</p><p>None of the characters are terribly fleshed out but it's disaster spectacle from start to finish so I'm not sure when or how that should have happened.</p><p>Nevertheless, most of the supporting cast are given great little moments which makes it more colourful then it needed to be.</p><p></p><p>With all the fuss about modern "Jokers" (first Heath Ledger, now Joaquin Phoenix) I'm going to say that Dennis Hopper does a much better job at playing a Batman-esque villain. </p><p>[ATTACH=full]54596[/ATTACH]</p><p>There's some really quotable one-liners like "Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric".</p><p></p><p>He's super evil, from an era when it was still OK to love-to-hate the bad guy.</p><p>Of course now that I'm posting it here on tellytalk, sneaky algorithm will inform Hollywood about SPEED's newfound popularity, and before you know it there's going to be a Howard Payne origins movie that shows his adventures as the bullied misfit who needs to embrace the empowerment of being different. Because an anti-hero is still a hero, and that means: franchise!</p><p>Oh well, kay sirra sirra.</p><p></p><p>Of course it's possible to say that DIE HARD which also benefited from Jan de Bont's cinematography was the better one (IMDB seems to think so) and I would definitely agree that it was the one that rejuvenated the gloriously over-the-top blockbuster genre, but SPEED has the additional element of the physical experience.</p><p>Bomb threats happen in many stories, but watching the bus crashing through traffic without a moment of relief was often a palm-sweaty business.</p><p>It goes from one disaster scenario to the next, Howard Payne is unstoppable.</p><p>The last part in the metro wasn't really necessary and has a bit of a sequel feel to it but I guess the villain had to be stopped in an equally spectacular way.</p><p>And Sandra Bullock needed all the practice she could get as she would continue her career as the queen of disaster flicks.</p><p>I have no memory of SPEED 2, only that it happens on a boat. It's only a matter of time before I click "play!".</p><p></p><p>On the previous subject of origins sob stories, a counter-culture movement has arisen: the Poohniverse, and one of the latest additions is CINDERELLA'S CURSE.</p><p>I knew it was trash but I was curious to see <em>how </em> bad it was, and while I was watching it I entertained the possibility that it was one of those The Asylum blockbuster knockoffs (they don't care how good or bad the original blockbuster is).</p><p>But no, it's from the same producers as Pooh - Blood And Honey. Not that it makes any difference.</p><p>The villains in Cinderella's Curse are slasher-happy maniacs and via a CARRIE rip-off they all get their well deserved comeuppance. And then some.</p><p>I can't say that the film disappoints, it does what it says on the tin. Production and special effects are piss-poor but the performances are enthusiastic enough.</p><p>Actress Danielle Scott plays the badass stepmother and even in her last breath she keeps humiliating Cinderella. She would do just fine in a more convential version of the famous fairy tale.</p><p></p><p>Lo and behold, today I found out that there is <em>another</em> 2024 Cinderella horror film: CINDERELLA'S REVENGE. But it's still not a The Asylum production!</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 411336, member: 8"] SPEED (1994) [ATTACH type="full"]54595[/ATTACH] I enjoyed it very much when I watched it for the first time way back in the 1990s, but yesterday I noticed how truly outstanding this film is. I'm sure there are lots of special effects, but....it just doesn't [I]feel [/I]like it. It looks so different from modern blockbusters! Never been Keanu's biggest fan but I simply cannot picture anyone else playing Jack. There's something about his soft-spokenness that really needs to be here, and his chemistry with Sandra Bullock is possibly the best I've ever seen in this type of film. While it has its light moments there's enough room for genuine despair, and there's a lot of detail for everything else's that's going in the story. None of the characters are terribly fleshed out but it's disaster spectacle from start to finish so I'm not sure when or how that should have happened. Nevertheless, most of the supporting cast are given great little moments which makes it more colourful then it needed to be. With all the fuss about modern "Jokers" (first Heath Ledger, now Joaquin Phoenix) I'm going to say that Dennis Hopper does a much better job at playing a Batman-esque villain. [ATTACH type="full"]54596[/ATTACH] There's some really quotable one-liners like "Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric". He's super evil, from an era when it was still OK to love-to-hate the bad guy. Of course now that I'm posting it here on tellytalk, sneaky algorithm will inform Hollywood about SPEED's newfound popularity, and before you know it there's going to be a Howard Payne origins movie that shows his adventures as the bullied misfit who needs to embrace the empowerment of being different. Because an anti-hero is still a hero, and that means: franchise! Oh well, kay sirra sirra. Of course it's possible to say that DIE HARD which also benefited from Jan de Bont's cinematography was the better one (IMDB seems to think so) and I would definitely agree that it was the one that rejuvenated the gloriously over-the-top blockbuster genre, but SPEED has the additional element of the physical experience. Bomb threats happen in many stories, but watching the bus crashing through traffic without a moment of relief was often a palm-sweaty business. It goes from one disaster scenario to the next, Howard Payne is unstoppable. The last part in the metro wasn't really necessary and has a bit of a sequel feel to it but I guess the villain had to be stopped in an equally spectacular way. And Sandra Bullock needed all the practice she could get as she would continue her career as the queen of disaster flicks. I have no memory of SPEED 2, only that it happens on a boat. It's only a matter of time before I click "play!". On the previous subject of origins sob stories, a counter-culture movement has arisen: the Poohniverse, and one of the latest additions is CINDERELLA'S CURSE. I knew it was trash but I was curious to see [I]how [/I] bad it was, and while I was watching it I entertained the possibility that it was one of those The Asylum blockbuster knockoffs (they don't care how good or bad the original blockbuster is). But no, it's from the same producers as Pooh - Blood And Honey. Not that it makes any difference. The villains in Cinderella's Curse are slasher-happy maniacs and via a CARRIE rip-off they all get their well deserved comeuppance. And then some. I can't say that the film disappoints, it does what it says on the tin. Production and special effects are piss-poor but the performances are enthusiastic enough. Actress Danielle Scott plays the badass stepmother and even in her last breath she keeps humiliating Cinderella. She would do just fine in a more convential version of the famous fairy tale. Lo and behold, today I found out that there is [I]another[/I] 2024 Cinderella horror film: CINDERELLA'S REVENGE. But it's still not a The Asylum production! [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top