Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 433764" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>The Unbelievable Truth (1989)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]57984[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>It's a combination of deadpan humour, pseudo-ambitious scenarios and a pseudo-earnest romance, but relatively lite on the quirks.</p><p>It's not a great or fascinating film and it's not super-quotable, but at the same time it never looks as if something comes out the wrong way. I believe this film looks exactly the way it was meant to be, aware of its limitations and to make the very best of it.</p><p>I'm easily persuaded if you show confidence and I think that's what makes this "underwhelming" romcom so oddly appealing.</p><p></p><p>In a rather soapy fashion it starts with the return of an ex-convict (a "mass murderer!") who may or may not have killed someone. So that's Elliot Carson from <em>Peyton Place</em>.</p><p>There's a recurring joke about I don't drink/I don't smoke, and the more I think about it the funnier this film gets. </p><p>Meanwhile, the daughter of the town's main and only family ponders the end of the world and she breaks up with her perfectly awful boyfriend Emmet. He may have been the inspiration for South Park's Eric Cartman.</p><p>She also becomes an international supermodel but no attempts have been made to make that look remotely believable (I'm sure that was the point).</p><p>And then other stuff happens blablabla mostly courtesy of the father's endless quid pro quos.</p><p></p><p>I like it very much, and I'll probably go back to it in the foreseeable future. It's sort of post-<em>Repo Man</em> (1984) and pre-<em>Clerks</em> (1994).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Barfly (1987)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]57985[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>CHEERS - The Movie</p><p>Not sure if I had seen it before, but what appears to be a draining session of drunks sharing their woe-is-me's turns into a delightful screwball romcomedy.</p><p>Mickey Rourke outbrandoes Marlon Brando and Faye Dunaway is always a good watch even when the film isn't (except for <em>Laura Mars</em>, perhaps).</p><p>Also starring Alice Krige in a catfight with Faye (was it a homage to the bar catfight in <em>Get Carter</em>?) and Frank "Far From Over" Stallone as the short-tempered bartender.</p><p>Story-wise there isn't much for me to comment on. Apparently it's autobiographical but I had never heard of this writer. Doesn't matter, the film is great regardless of the reason behind it.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 433764, member: 8"] The Unbelievable Truth (1989) [ATTACH type="full"]57984[/ATTACH] It's a combination of deadpan humour, pseudo-ambitious scenarios and a pseudo-earnest romance, but relatively lite on the quirks. It's not a great or fascinating film and it's not super-quotable, but at the same time it never looks as if something comes out the wrong way. I believe this film looks exactly the way it was meant to be, aware of its limitations and to make the very best of it. I'm easily persuaded if you show confidence and I think that's what makes this "underwhelming" romcom so oddly appealing. In a rather soapy fashion it starts with the return of an ex-convict (a "mass murderer!") who may or may not have killed someone. So that's Elliot Carson from [I]Peyton Place[/I]. There's a recurring joke about I don't drink/I don't smoke, and the more I think about it the funnier this film gets. Meanwhile, the daughter of the town's main and only family ponders the end of the world and she breaks up with her perfectly awful boyfriend Emmet. He may have been the inspiration for South Park's Eric Cartman. She also becomes an international supermodel but no attempts have been made to make that look remotely believable (I'm sure that was the point). And then other stuff happens blablabla mostly courtesy of the father's endless quid pro quos. I like it very much, and I'll probably go back to it in the foreseeable future. It's sort of post-[I]Repo Man[/I] (1984) and pre-[I]Clerks[/I] (1994). Barfly (1987) [ATTACH type="full"]57985[/ATTACH] CHEERS - The Movie Not sure if I had seen it before, but what appears to be a draining session of drunks sharing their woe-is-me's turns into a delightful screwball romcomedy. Mickey Rourke outbrandoes Marlon Brando and Faye Dunaway is always a good watch even when the film isn't (except for [I]Laura Mars[/I], perhaps). Also starring Alice Krige in a catfight with Faye (was it a homage to the bar catfight in [I]Get Carter[/I]?) and Frank "Far From Over" Stallone as the short-tempered bartender. Story-wise there isn't much for me to comment on. Apparently it's autobiographical but I had never heard of this writer. Doesn't matter, the film is great regardless of the reason behind it. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top