• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Why are soap operas STILL on the air?

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Covid hiatus also harmed soaps. Days not having that might have saved it from cancellation. How many viewers would Days have lost during a four-month break?

OJ Simpson killed soaps, some say, but how was that exactly? Did soaps air during his trial on cable tv and viewers switched from soaps to OJ? Or did networks aired the trial and soaps were preempted for weeks?

The 20th anniversary of 9/11 brought back the question: For how many days (or weeks) were soaps preempted in 2001? Primetime tv schedules are easy to find from those days, but daytime not.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OJ Simpson killed soaps, some say, but how was that exactly? Did soaps air during his trial on cable tv and viewers switched from soaps to OJ? Or did networks aired the trial and soaps were preempted for weeks?
If I’m recalling this correctly, they were preempted for weeks at a time due to the trial coverage. And all the major networks were carrying the trial obviously so this went on for months.
And when the soaps finally returned full time, many fans did not.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The 20th anniversary of 9/11 brought back the question: For how many days (or weeks) were soaps preempted in 2001? Primetime tv schedules are easy to find from those days, but daytime not.
I’m a little foggy on post 9-11 TV because I knew so many people in New York that were personally affected by the attacks at the time but yes I believe the daytime soaps were preempted for awhile then as well. My guess would be a couple of weeks. Only this time I would guess they didn’t lose a whole lot of viewers compared to the OJ trial because people were looking to get back to normal in their everyday lives, whereas the trial went on for many, many months, which eventually angered a lot of viewers to the point they didn’t return.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
OJ did hurt soaps a lot. CBS soaps lost most viewers (aka households) during 1994-1995 season compared to previous season, but I still got no idea for how long soaps were preempted.

1. The Young and The Restless 7.5 (-1.1)
2. All My Children 6.1 (-0.5)
3. General Hospital 5.6 (-0.6)
4. The Bold And The Beautiful 5.5 (-0.6)
5. One Life To Live 5.4 (-0.2)
6. Days Of Our Lives 5.3 (-0.3)
7. As The World Turns 5.1 (-0.7)
8. Guiding Light 4.4 (-1.0)
9. Another World 3.1 (-0.4)
10. Loving 2.3 (-0.4)

It seems like soaps weren't preempted very long after 9/11. I found ratings for week Sep 17-21, 2001. No big losses compared to week Sep 3-7, 2001.

1. The Young and The Restless 5.2 (-0.2)
2. The Bold And The Beautiful 4.1 (-0.1)
3. As The World Turns 3.5 (-0.2)
3. General Hospital 3.5 (same)
3. All My Children 3.5 (same)
6. Guiding Light 3.4 (-0.1)
6. Days Of Our Live 3.4 (-0.1)
8. One Life To Live 3.3 (same)
9. Passions 1.9 (-0.2)
9. Port Charles 1.9 (+0.1)

Last edited:

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
If I’m recalling this correctly, they were preempted for weeks at a time due to the trial coverage. And all the major networks were carrying the trial obviously so this went on for months.
And when the soaps finally returned full time, many fans did not.
I think O.J. is only a little part. I think the major factor is the internet and cable tv. In the 80's, the soaps were preempted constantly. It could have been a big stretch like Iran Contra or a hearing on a Supreme Court justice. In the 80's we didn't have a thousand things to choose from. In the 90's, there were more choices. I feel because of O.J., people found other things to watch, and people never went back to the soaps.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
OJ did hurt soaps a lot. CBS soaps lost most viewers (aka households) during 1994-1995 season compared to previous season, but I still got no idea for how long soaps were preempted.

1. The Young and The Restless 7.5 (-1.1)
2. All My Children 6.1 (-0.5)
3. General Hospital 5.6 (-0.6)
4. The Bold And The Beautiful 5.5 (-0.6)
5. One Life To Live 5.4 (-0.2)
6. Days Of Our Lives 5.3 (-0.3)
7. As The World Turns 5.1 (-0.7)
8. Guiding Light 4.4 (-1.0)
9. Another World 3.1 (-0.4)
10. Loving 2.3 (-0.4)

It seems like soaps weren't preempted very long after 9/11. I found ratings for week Sep 17-21, 2001. No big losses compared to week Sep 3-7, 2001.

1. The Young and The Restless 5.2 (-0.2)
2. The Bold And The Beautiful 4.1 (-0.1)
3. As The World Turns 3.5 (-0.2)
3. General Hospital 3.5 (same)
3. All My Children 3.5 (same)
6. Guiding Light 3.4 (-0.1)
6. Days Of Our Live 3.4 (-0.1)
8. One Life To Live 3.3 (same)
9. Passions 1.9 (-0.2)
9. Port Charles 1.9 (+0.1)
Around the time of the OJ trial, Guiding Light started to be switched to the morning which may have hurt GL's ratings- KCBS in L.A aired it at 9am, then WCBS moved it to 10am not long afterwards.

Soon most of the CBS stations followed suit -although KGMB in Honolulu aired it at noon and WTOC in Savannah aired it at 4pm. (WNEM in Bay City and KOVR in Sacramento didn't carry the soap full stop, the latter following the same practice as KXTV when that was a CBS station). (During GL's last 2 weeks on air, reruns of the Kelsey Grammer sitcom Frasier, owned by Viacom CBS, aired in Sacramento instead of GL)

The stations above who aired GL in the morning were one day behind the CBS stations who aired it at the official 3pm time. Towards the end though, CBS introduced same day feeds for those airing GL in the morning.

Also Loving, the bottom rated soap, was in danger too around this time, as some ABC affiliates, concerned by the ratings, threatened to drop the soap. Hence Barbara Estensen and James Harmon Brown doing their famous storyline, which set up the foundation for The City.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Having lived there at the time, I can say that placing GL in the 4pm slot in Savannah (WTOC) actually helped the series. WTOC put a talk show in the 3pm slot to counter-program the much-higher rated General Hospital, and the 4pm airing of GL allowed more young students getting home from school and adults getting home from work to watch. GL was also a better lead-in to their local newscast at 5pm than the talk shows that had aired previously. It was said that GL's viewership was about equal to Oprah Winfrey, which aired at 4pm on WSAV (the NBC affiliate). Obviously soaps in general were much more viable in the 1990s (look at those numbers above!), but the cracks were definitely showing. Putting the show on at 10am sounds ridiculous, or at least the act of someone who had given up on the show and was just putting it out to pasture, but the 4pm time shift in Savannah actually helped the show in that market.

A lot of ink was spilled over the years trying to define how "OJ killed the soaps," but one aspect no one has brought up yet was how one never knew what would air from day to day. The three networks were torn between covering the trial and sticking to their regularly-scheduled soaps. A viewer hoping to see their soaps had to turn on the TV every day (or set their VCR) and hope that Judge Ito wasn't blathering onscreen instead. But there just was no consistency. I recall instances where they would be conducting the trial and spontaneously call for an early recess (say, at 2:30pm). The networks had no advance warning, obviously, and since all three networks' had individual soaps which started at 2pm, they would just air the second half of an episode, or sometimes would air some half-hour game show or something else to fill the slot. If they 'jipped' an episode (Joined In Progress), they made no effort to re-air the parts that no one saw. So the viewer got bits and pieces of continuing stories and felt lost. The coverage of the trial took precedence over every other consideration, and the viewers justifiably felt jerked around. And once they realized that their lives could go on without that daily visit to Bay City, Llanview, or Springfield, a lot of people just stopped seeking them out. By the 1990s there was a relatively solid soap press that provided synopses of episodes and coverage of what was going on, and of course a nascent internet providing information to the more technologically-minded. One could "wean off" a soap addiction much easier in 1994 than 1984, and of course it became easier every decade since then.

Of course the confused and idiotic decisions being made in the network offices were all about the money. Soaps obviously had their commercial breaks baked into the cake. Covering the trial meant limited commercial interruptions, interruptions often made by split-second decisions of programmers. If there was a "five minute recess" or some delay in court, they'd try to drop in all the commercials they could, but if they had a long, involved series of testimony or procedures, the networks were losing boatloads of money by not being able to interrupt. They also had NO idea how much to charge these companies for the ads time since the ratings were not being measured the way they were when airing during soaps. I'm sure there were lots of refunds being sent out to various companies who had paid a certain amount to have their product advertised to an audience of a certain size and certain demographic and didn't get the results they expected. But the only other option was to drop coverage of the trial and resume normal programming, which was basically NOT an option. No one wanted to be "the one who isn't covering it", since so many decisions were made in "the heat of competition". For those of us who had little to no interest in the OJ Trial, I would have welcomed at least one slate of soaps to watch, even if they weren't my "usual" soaps.

AndyB2008

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Having lived there at the time, I can say that placing GL in the 4pm slot in Savannah (WTOC) actually helped the series. WTOC put a talk show in the 3pm slot to counter-program the much-higher rated General Hospital, and the 4pm airing of GL allowed more young students getting home from school and adults getting home from work to watch. GL was also a better lead-in to their local newscast at 5pm than the talk shows that had aired previously. It was said that GL's viewership was about equal to Oprah Winfrey, which aired at 4pm on WSAV (the NBC affiliate). Obviously soaps in general were much more viable in the 1990s (look at those numbers above!), but the cracks were definitely showing. Putting the show on at 10am sounds ridiculous, or at least the act of someone who had given up on the show and was just putting it out to pasture, but the 4pm time shift in Savannah actually helped the show in that market.

A lot of ink was spilled over the years trying to define how "OJ killed the soaps," but one aspect no one has brought up yet was how one never knew what would air from day to day. The three networks were torn between covering the trial and sticking to their regularly-scheduled soaps. A viewer hoping to see their soaps had to turn on the TV every day (or set their VCR) and hope that Judge Ito wasn't blathering onscreen instead. But there just was no consistency. I recall instances where they would be conducting the trial and spontaneously call for an early recess (say, at 2:30pm). The networks had no advance warning, obviously, and since all three networks' had individual soaps which started at 2pm, they would just air the second half of an episode, or sometimes would air some half-hour game show or something else to fill the slot. If they 'jipped' an episode (Joined In Progress), they made no effort to re-air the parts that no one saw. So the viewer got bits and pieces of continuing stories and felt lost. The coverage of the trial took precedence over every other consideration, and the viewers justifiably felt jerked around. And once they realized that their lives could go on without that daily visit to Bay City, Llanview, or Springfield, a lot of people just stopped seeking them out. By the 1990s there was a relatively solid soap press that provided synopses of episodes and coverage of what was going on, and of course a nascent internet providing information to the more technologically-minded. One could "wean off" a soap addiction much easier in 1994 than 1984, and of course it became easier every decade since then.

Of course the confused and idiotic decisions being made in the network offices were all about the money. Soaps obviously had their commercial breaks baked into the cake. Covering the trial meant limited commercial interruptions, interruptions often made by split-second decisions of programmers. If there was a "five minute recess" or some delay in court, they'd try to drop in all the commercials they could, but if they had a long, involved series of testimony or procedures, the networks were losing boatloads of money by not being able to interrupt. They also had NO idea how much to charge these companies for the ads time since the ratings were not being measured the way they were when airing during soaps. I'm sure there were lots of refunds being sent out to various companies who had paid a certain amount to have their product advertised to an audience of a certain size and certain demographic and didn't get the results they expected. But the only other option was to drop coverage of the trial and resume normal programming, which was basically NOT an option. No one wanted to be "the one who isn't covering it", since so many decisions were made in "the heat of competition". For those of us who had little to no interest in the OJ Trial, I would have welcomed at least one slate of soaps to watch, even if they weren't my "usual" soaps.
Speaking of Bay City, before the OJ Trial, Another World was struggling in ratings too.

It got a renewal in 1993, but only just. The axe fell on Santa Barbara instead.

Not long afterwards (just after the OJ Trial), Jill Farren Phelps joined and started to push the show towards a younger crowd, meaning David Hedison and Barbara Berjer got fired as a result. Not to mention the Crystal Gayle\Gary Morris theme was replaced.

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They aren't respected, but these soaps get better ratings than many primetime shows. It's been said for years that Days of Our Lives is the #1 streaming show for NBC. 10 years ago we expected it to be canceled, but now with Peacock they got a two year renewal, budget INCREASE and a streaming mini-series. That was unheard of in todays time. As someone who has been watching the money be drained out of Days, it's nice to see new sets, bigger sets, better wardrobe and increased attention.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
They aren't respected, but these soaps get better ratings than many primetime shows. It's been said for years that Days of Our Lives is the #1 streaming show for NBC.
The truth about being the #1 streaming show for NBC is that Days has 5 episodes per week, while primetime shows offer only one episode per week. Days seems more successful than it actually is in streaming. An indication of my guess is that Beyond Salem is not renewed. If it were such a hit, a second season would have been ordered two months after streaming release.

I think all soaps are safe right now, because networks got bigger problems, both in daytime and in primetime.

At ABC primetime shows The Wonder Years, Home Economics, A Million Little Things and Queens have fewer viewers than General Hospital.

At CBS The Young and the Restless has as many viewers as CSI, Seal Team and B Positive. The Bold and the Beautiful (always weaker than lead-in Y&R) is on par with Tough As Nails and better than 48 Hours.

Days has more viewers on NBC than Home Sweet Home which is in great danger of being cancelled.

Last edited:

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The truth about being the #1 streaming show for NBC is that Days has 5 episodes per week, while primetime shows offer only one episode per week. Days seems more successful than it actually is in streaming. An indication of my guess is that Beyond Salem is not renewed. If it were such a hit, a second season would have been ordered two months after streaming release.

I think all soaps are safe right now, because networks got bigger problems, both in daytime and in primetime.

At ABC primetime shows The Wonder Years, Home Economics, A Million Little Things and Queens have fewer viewers than General Hospital.

At CBS The Young and the Restless has as many viewers as CSI, Seal Team and B Positive. The Bold and the Beautiful (always weaker than lead-in Y&R) is on par with Tough As Nails and better than 48 Hours.

Days has more viewers on NBC than Home Sweet Home which is in great danger of being cancelled.
Beyond Salem was successful according to the people at Days. It was a one off mini series so it isn’t something that needs to be renewed. I’m sure we will have more original content from them.

WarriorsFan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bad Boys
As long as daytime dramas stay within their budgets and generate money for the networks, they will remain on the air. I don't see the networks developing any replacement programming for when the daytime dramas come to an end.

Re the decline of daytime dramas, I'd say it goes back further than OJ. I think the Iran-Contra hearings in July 1987 was the first big dent in the audience, then the second big dent was the 1988 writer's strike which lead to alot of shows losing their audience as the storylines went off track.

AndyB2008

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic

Seal Team is airing the rest of their new season on Paramount+, but under a deal hammered out, CBS is airing the first few episodes.

HSH was actually pulled by NBC, with the rest of the episodes airing on Peacock.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When so many of them started falling by the wayside over the last decade I thought the genre was dying out.

Back when I was a boy, daily serials could be found in abundance on all networks-- NBC had Days of Our Lives, Another World and Santa Barbara; CBS had Y&R, The Bold and The Beautiful, ATWT, Guiding Light and Capitol; and ABC had Ryan's Hope, All My Children, General Hospital and One Life To Live (all of those were just as integral to the daily schedules as the abundance of game shows that were there in a day).

Nowadays, only Days, Y&R and B&B are still on, IIRC.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards