Why didn’t Morgan Brittney get a credit on Swansong?

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know she didn’t have any dialogue but she went in and shot a scene. Why on earth didn’t she receive a credit on the end titles?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No dialogue.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did John beck get a credit on the end credits after his reappearance? He had no dialogue
Yes, similar to Morgan, he was credited as a Special Guest Star in the closing credits of that episode only. Then, his credit was moved up to the credits at the beginning of the episode starting with the next show.

Morgan also got the end credit treatment when she returned in 1987, to preserve the surprise of her appearance. Then she moved up to the “Also Starring” credits in the next episode.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A nicety that Dynasty never bothered with, which annoyed me no end.

Oh, I know. Although I didn't mind the fluid nature of the DYNASTY opening credits in concept, I didn't want a new actor to appear -- or mysteriously reappear -- with that appearance preceded by their title card in the opening credits.

If you're making your introductory reveal, you shouldn't get an opening credit title card until your second episode. And if you've returned to murder somebody, your name should appear in the closing credits after the deed is done.

But DYNASTY was so effed up on so many levels. They didn't even always know to bill a statured actor with a "With" just before Joan Collins' "And" at the end of the opening credits. They'd place them near the end, yes, after the secondary/tertiary cast, and just before Joan, but with no "With". Making it seem as if, say, Billy Dee Williams and Diahann Carroll were less important than Gerard and Jeanette.

And these things aren't always about contractual details. Sometimes it's just utter confusion and mismanagement -- the kind that allows the title "The Skanks" to be used on four different episodes and no one ever catches it.

That was DYNASTY.

Last edited:

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, I know. Although I didn't mind the fluid nature of the DYNASTY opening credits in concept, I didn't want a new actor to appear -- or mysteriously reappear -- with that appearance preceded by their title card in the opening credits.

If you're making your introductory reveal, you shouldn't get an opening credit title card until your second episode. And if you've returned to murder somebody, your name should appear in the closing credits after the deed is done.

But DYNASTY was so effed up on so many levels. They didn't even always know to bill a statured actor with a "With" just before Joan Collins' "And" at the end of the opening credits. They'd place them near the end, yes, after the secondary/tertiary cast, and just before Joan, but with no "With". Making it seem as if, say, Billy Dee Williams and Diahann Carroll were less important than Gerard and Jeanette.

And these things aren't always about contractual details. Sometimes it's just utter confusion and mismanagement -- the kind that allows the title "The Skanks" to be used on four different episodes and no one ever catches it.

That was DYNASTY.
They did handle it correctly when Emma Samms first appeared as Fallon, with Samms listed as a guest star in the closing credits before moving to the opening credits in her second episode. I think Bo Hopkins (Matthew) got the end credit treatment for his return, too. Can’t remember about Jack Coleman.

But Lorimar was more conscious of it. I remember when Julia returned to Falcon Crest in season 4 (a true surprise), they handled it really well, they did a freeze frame on her when she appeared on camera, then credited the executive producers, and after that an “Also Starring Abby Dalton” credit (again, over the final freeze frame). Well done.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
to preserve the surprise of her appearance
This is the part that answers the question best. As others have said, you didn't want to see MB's credit prior to her appearance, because the more astute viewer would spend the hour thinking about her, making the surprise less...surprising. If it's someone the viewer doesn't know, the opening credit would not matter much. Example: I'm fairly sure Alec Baldwin was in the opening credits in the season 6 opener of Knots Landing though he didn't show up until the second episode. At least in the syndicated episodes I watched later. All such a thing does is make the viewer think "Who the heck is that?" and adds to the suspense.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The credits can really spoil things. The two-hour version of “Return to Camelot” had an “Also Starring Steve Forrest as Wes Parmalee” credit at the beginning of the episode, before Bobby stepped out of the shower. As soon as I saw that Forrest wasn’t being credited as Ben Stivers, I knew that the rumors were true and the previous season was being written off as a dream (currently, the show is split into two episodes, and Forrest isn’t credited in the first episode).

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I didn't realize that there was some confusion about this.
One result of the Dream season was that Katherine was still here.
Unfortunately, there were no plans, apparently, to utilize her, other than the beginning
of season 11. I would like to have seen Katherine return on a regular basis,
especially with Susan Howard leaving, the eventual departure of William Smithers,
and the introduction of less-than-interesting supporting characters

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m positive my copy of Swansong on the dvd season 8 is missing the Morgan Brittany credit. Am I imaging this?
See my and @Snarky Oracle! 's exchange about being certain of things that on rewatch turned out to be not so, somewhere in these threads. :0
'm fairly sure Alec Baldwin was in the opening credits in the season 6 opener of Knots Landing though he didn't show up until the second episode.
You are correct about that.