Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Dynasty
Dynasty
Why has Grey's Anatomy succeeded where 80s soaps failed?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Monzo" data-source="post: 438484" data-attributes="member: 19949"><p>This thread about Grey's Anatomy is nine years old now, and even back then it looked like the medical soap was on its last legs, it's still around. Last season GH had six million viewers in total (Live TV, DVR, and streaming), and that still seems to be enough for a renewal, but budget cuts are inevitable. This time, these two actors were affected:</p><p></p><p>[URL unfurl="true"]https://variety.com/2026/tv/news/greys-anatomy-kevin-mckidd-kim-raver-exit-series-1236698292/[/URL]</p><p></p><p>I expected Kim Raver to be let go eventually at some point, but Kevin McKidd's firing is a surprise. I thought he was the third cast member, alongside the two original cast members left, who was practically guaranteed a spot on the show. Firing Owen Hunt feels to me like if Cliff Barnes or Greg Sumner had been let go. Anyway, I often think that what I've seen with Grey's Anatomy in recent years is what Dallas and especially Knots Landing would have been like if they'd run for 20 seasons: a constant stream of new faces that nobody cares about, who then get written out after two or three seasons when they become too expensive, and then they hire new cheap actors, and in between, a veteran gets fired so the show can go on. What I still like about Grey's Anatomy is that you see the whole journey, instead of a cancellation, and then suddenly the show is brought back ten years later, the kids are grown up and now medical students themselves.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Monzo, post: 438484, member: 19949"] This thread about Grey's Anatomy is nine years old now, and even back then it looked like the medical soap was on its last legs, it's still around. Last season GH had six million viewers in total (Live TV, DVR, and streaming), and that still seems to be enough for a renewal, but budget cuts are inevitable. This time, these two actors were affected: [URL unfurl="true"]https://variety.com/2026/tv/news/greys-anatomy-kevin-mckidd-kim-raver-exit-series-1236698292/[/URL] I expected Kim Raver to be let go eventually at some point, but Kevin McKidd's firing is a surprise. I thought he was the third cast member, alongside the two original cast members left, who was practically guaranteed a spot on the show. Firing Owen Hunt feels to me like if Cliff Barnes or Greg Sumner had been let go. Anyway, I often think that what I've seen with Grey's Anatomy in recent years is what Dallas and especially Knots Landing would have been like if they'd run for 20 seasons: a constant stream of new faces that nobody cares about, who then get written out after two or three seasons when they become too expensive, and then they hire new cheap actors, and in between, a veteran gets fired so the show can go on. What I still like about Grey's Anatomy is that you see the whole journey, instead of a cancellation, and then suddenly the show is brought back ten years later, the kids are grown up and now medical students themselves. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Dynasty
Dynasty
Why has Grey's Anatomy succeeded where 80s soaps failed?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top