A new Alexis? Seriously?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
I´d be very concerned...
What's the worst thing that can happen? It sucks and gets cancelled. No wait, it sucks and doesn't get cancelled. Ever!

Either way I'm not sure how much of it will affect me personally and it won't tarnish my memory of the real thing.

/optimism]
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Watched it once. Hated the colours.
At least South Park looks funny.

For me, seasons 1 thru 9 are the best (season 10 was when Homer turned into a jerkass, which I hate). Heh, the colors never bothered me though, though. Course I grew up with them. Never cared for South Park, though (granted, there was that one zombie apocalypse they did that was pretty funny).
 

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
2
I have resigned myself to the fact that it's going to be pretty awful.

I actually think the worst thing that can happen is for the redux to exemplify things that were wrong with the original series rather than the things that were great. For it to be a Gossip Girl rather than a Scandal, is probably the worst thing that can happen, because that means it will inevitably fail (The impression of CW's dramas is that most of them are aimed at tweens as their core audience. They do ahistorical dramas that altogether exult in their inaccuracies. The person who said they picture another The Royals is probably spot on and I think they should try to acquire that series from E! instead of remaking Dynasty), and it will also essentially bury any chances, in our lifetime, of a serious creative and critically successful redux. Dynasty has been relatively late to the redux train, which is a symbol of how difficult it's been to get one made. So, it has to be done right this time. It's pretty do or die stage at this point. If it's done poorly or doesn't resonate, we won't just see another version pop up in a couple years. That'll be it.
 

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV
6
 
Awards
14
I actually think the worst thing that can happen is for the redux to exemplify things that were wrong with the original series rather than the things that were great. For it to be a Gossip Girl rather than a Scandal, is probably the worst thing that can happen, because that means it will inevitably fail (The impression of CW's dramas is that most of them are aimed at tweens as their core audience. They do ahistorical dramas that altogether exult in their inaccuracies. The person who said they picture another The Royals is probably spot on and I think they should try to acquire that series from E! instead of remaking Dynasty), and it will also essentially bury any chances, in our lifetime, of a serious creative and critically successful redux. Dynasty has been relatively late to the redux train, which is a symbol of how difficult it's been to get one made. So, it has to be done right this time. It's pretty do or die stage at this point. If it's done poorly or doesn't resonate, we won't just see another version pop up in a couple years. That'll be it.
I agree with you totally. But I think that's what were are going to get. Gossip Girl meets The Royals via Footballers Wives in the style of a Telenovela. You mark my words... I know what Josh Schwartz does, and I know what the CW is about.
 

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
2
I agree with you totally. But I think that's what were are going to get. Gossip Girl meets The Royals via Footballers Wives in the style of a Telenovela. You mark my words... I know what Josh Schwartz does, and I know what the CW is about.

Welp.
 

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
Dynasty has been relatively late to the redux train, which is a symbol of how difficult it's been to get one made
To me, this is a good sign. Despite the failures of the other revamped shows, they still want to do it.
So, it has to be done right this time.
Does this only apply to Dynasty? Do you think Dallas will get a second chance?

In Hollywood, there's at least one thing you can count on: lack of creativity. Old stories will be rehashed over and over again.
There's absolutely no reason to panic.
 

Ked

Telly Talk Winner
LV
0
 
Awards
4
To me, this is a good sign. Despite the failures of the other revamped shows, they still want to do it.

Does this only apply to Dynasty? Do you think Dallas will get a second chance?

In Hollywood, there's at least one thing you can count on: lack of creativity. Old stories will be rehashed over and over again.
There's absolutely no reason to panic.

Good point. X)
 

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
I am really struggling here to understand the point of a re-imagining of DYNASTY. Why not just make a new show on a similar theme. Especially if you are going to start changing so much about it. The one thing DYANSTY really had going for it was it's casting. Who can ever step into Alexis' shoes or Fallon's or Krystle's or Sammy Jo's. There is no way in hell that a show on the CW is going to be able to get such perfect casting.

They should have just made it a loose continuation, with very similar recurring plot elements to the original show. That way they could have had Joan and Linda in recurring roles and avoided comparisons to the original iconic DYNASTY cast.

I haven't read much about it to be fair but what I have read doesn't appeal to me.
Having DYNASTY back wont work without Joan Collins as Alexis. Anyone else in that role is going to come off as a bad parody in my opinion.

Very good points which is why I think they need to nske sure they do it much different. As in this isn't the Alexis we know but a very different take on the character - like making Krystal Hispanic. Same house, same music, same basic story line for the first few exposiodes any way - and then off and running as their own show.
 

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
7
I agree 100%. But I think this is supposed to be a fun project, like, making a remix of a song. Even without considering the stellar (original) cast, it will be next to impossible to recreate the atmosphere from that particular era.
We've discussed hundreds of what-if scenarios on the old forum, and now we can have an alternative Dynasty version.
I'm not saying that they will use any of those suggestions - probably not! - but it's possible, and that's what makes it so exciting. What part will be the same and what are they going to change? How will it look? The fun of comparing things.

Personally I'd struggle with a continuation, that could only work for Dallas simply because John Ross III has always been such an important part of the original story, unlike the Carrington and Colby kids.
Bringing back the old cast? I prefer to remember them the way they were, instead of watching the "Shady Pines" versions.
Then there's the issue of S9 vs. mini-series, quite a mess if you ask me.
Nobody's interested in watching a grown-up Krystina or Danny (who were they???) and the Alexis we knew...she's gone. Thankfully, Joan Collins is still alive and kicking, but not so kicking, if you know what I mean.

That doesn't mean I'm not concerned at all. I plan to enjoy this, but something like miscasting could sabotage that, so at least we should be prepared for a little challenge.

Good points. Funny how TNT Dallas didn't seem to see that - that John Ross being on top (like his daddy and Grandad) was the only way to go.

I also agree I don't want to see the senior citizen version. I think this story can be updated and new - but they should cast with a very different type. I like the idea of a Hispanic Krystal (do t see why change the spelling) and they should do the same for the rest of the cast - shake it up and see what lands. I also don't think they should spend years with the old story lines. I'd say season 2 should be the old story lines condensed and end with new story lines and then add as time goes by pieces from old story lines left out.
 
Top