Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 329050" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>I did indeed go to see JANE on the big screen and I'm glad I did; it's likely a once-in-a-lifetime chance.</p><p></p><p>I've seen JANE so many times, it's nearly impossible for me to really <em>see</em> it; my memories and expectations trump the actual act of watching. The great thing about seeing classics in the theater is that it's like seeing the film for the first time, and I find myself with a renewed appreciation for just how great this film is.</p><p></p><p>Its plot and horror elements are pretty meager, but the film's emotional resonance is surprisingly rich, filled with regrets, resentments and recriminations. Even the film's revelations aren't so much plot twists as emotional twists: Blanche was the villain all along.</p><p></p><p>Seeing it on the big screen also showed what an excellently directed film this is; this is no shoddy B-picture, but a film with gorgeous, stark cinematography and inventive screen composition. The print wasn't quite pristine, but it was crisp and clear.</p><p></p><p>Of course, the film is all about the two lead actresses and they give two of the screen's great performances. It's easy to focus on the flamboyance of Bette's acting, but she gave a layered, nuanced performance. She knew when to go big, but also when to reel it in. Crawford's performance is often unjustly overlooked. She's every bit as great as Davis; I guess it's too easy to mistake a tightly controlled performance of quite desperation as a lack of acting. And if nothing else, she gets credit for managing to look haggard and beautiful at the same time; no easy feat.</p><p></p><p>I'll cross my fingers that HUSH ... HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE will get its own 60 year anniversary release, although I suspect that film's lesser renown will prevent that.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 329050, member: 5079"] I did indeed go to see JANE on the big screen and I'm glad I did; it's likely a once-in-a-lifetime chance. I've seen JANE so many times, it's nearly impossible for me to really [I]see[/I] it; my memories and expectations trump the actual act of watching. The great thing about seeing classics in the theater is that it's like seeing the film for the first time, and I find myself with a renewed appreciation for just how great this film is. Its plot and horror elements are pretty meager, but the film's emotional resonance is surprisingly rich, filled with regrets, resentments and recriminations. Even the film's revelations aren't so much plot twists as emotional twists: Blanche was the villain all along. Seeing it on the big screen also showed what an excellently directed film this is; this is no shoddy B-picture, but a film with gorgeous, stark cinematography and inventive screen composition. The print wasn't quite pristine, but it was crisp and clear. Of course, the film is all about the two lead actresses and they give two of the screen's great performances. It's easy to focus on the flamboyance of Bette's acting, but she gave a layered, nuanced performance. She knew when to go big, but also when to reel it in. Crawford's performance is often unjustly overlooked. She's every bit as great as Davis; I guess it's too easy to mistake a tightly controlled performance of quite desperation as a lack of acting. And if nothing else, she gets credit for managing to look haggard and beautiful at the same time; no easy feat. I'll cross my fingers that HUSH ... HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE will get its own 60 year anniversary release, although I suspect that film's lesser renown will prevent that. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top