Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Crimson" data-source="post: 330946" data-attributes="member: 5079"><p>If we're going to engage in 'what if ...?' fantasy about the genre, we should start with just wishing that the existing films were <em>better</em>. If STRAIT-JACKET wasn't so dully inept and DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! was a bit less pallid (and preferably in B&W), the genre as a whole would have been strengthened by a few more superior entries.</p><p></p><p>After that, the big question to me is: which actresses of that era would have been suited to the genre. Hepburn, of course, would never have sullied herself and others of that era (Colbert; Loy) expressed contempt for the genre. The most obviously missing involvement was Stanwyck. I know she has her own William Castle film (which I haven't seen), but it's clearly not of the BABY JANE ilk. Stanwyck paired with Crawford or Davis -- or, heck, maybe all three in the same film! -- engaged in some guignol shenanigans could have been prime hagsploitation.</p><p></p><p>But my one big wish is that Serling, Spielberg and Crawford had extended their episode of NIGHT GALLERY to feature length; if Joan had been able to sustain that performance, I think it would have <em>obliterated </em>the rest of the genre.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Jessica Lange, with her old Hollywood floridness, seems the best suited. Of course, she's already dabbled in the genre, with the late-entry and somewhat lackluster HUSH (1998); although the film was at least evocatively titled to be reminiscent of the best film in the genre.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Crimson, post: 330946, member: 5079"] If we're going to engage in 'what if ...?' fantasy about the genre, we should start with just wishing that the existing films were [I]better[/I]. If STRAIT-JACKET wasn't so dully inept and DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! was a bit less pallid (and preferably in B&W), the genre as a whole would have been strengthened by a few more superior entries. After that, the big question to me is: which actresses of that era would have been suited to the genre. Hepburn, of course, would never have sullied herself and others of that era (Colbert; Loy) expressed contempt for the genre. The most obviously missing involvement was Stanwyck. I know she has her own William Castle film (which I haven't seen), but it's clearly not of the BABY JANE ilk. Stanwyck paired with Crawford or Davis -- or, heck, maybe all three in the same film! -- engaged in some guignol shenanigans could have been prime hagsploitation. But my one big wish is that Serling, Spielberg and Crawford had extended their episode of NIGHT GALLERY to feature length; if Joan had been able to sustain that performance, I think it would have [I]obliterated [/I]the rest of the genre. Jessica Lange, with her old Hollywood floridness, seems the best suited. Of course, she's already dabbled in the genre, with the late-entry and somewhat lackluster HUSH (1998); although the film was at least evocatively titled to be reminiscent of the best film in the genre. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top