Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 331216" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>I watched LADY IN A CAGE sometime ago when it was available for streaming on Hulu (it might still be there, but I haven't looked). As indifferent as I can be towards Olivia, I thought her performance was solid and I liked the "novelty" of her being trapped inside a small in-house elevator. James Caan, as I've said, was also good in the movie, and so was the hopelessly underrated Ann Sothern. One wonders why Sothern wasn't lured back to do more of these hagsploitation-type vehicles. Perhaps she was still too glamorous to have a lead in the genre, though I could easily picture her playing some former glamour puss whose life has fallen to pieces around her. But isn't that what most of these movies are about anyway? </p><p></p><p>LADY IN A CAGE is a decent movie, probably in my Top 5 favorites within the Grande Dame Guignol sub-genre (considering the ones I've seen so far). I'd agree that it does get a little long-winded. A good 25 minutes or better could've been shaved off the run-time, and the impact might've been a little stronger. </p><p></p><p>Still, the performances are quite good, especially considering what the script requires. </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]39032[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p></p><p>He was producing a lot of horror films for Vincent Price in the early-'60s, so I'm sure he'd do Grande Dame Guignol correctly. It would've been great had it at least given it a shot.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 331216, member: 7"] I watched LADY IN A CAGE sometime ago when it was available for streaming on Hulu (it might still be there, but I haven't looked). As indifferent as I can be towards Olivia, I thought her performance was solid and I liked the "novelty" of her being trapped inside a small in-house elevator. James Caan, as I've said, was also good in the movie, and so was the hopelessly underrated Ann Sothern. One wonders why Sothern wasn't lured back to do more of these hagsploitation-type vehicles. Perhaps she was still too glamorous to have a lead in the genre, though I could easily picture her playing some former glamour puss whose life has fallen to pieces around her. But isn't that what most of these movies are about anyway? LADY IN A CAGE is a decent movie, probably in my Top 5 favorites within the Grande Dame Guignol sub-genre (considering the ones I've seen so far). I'd agree that it does get a little long-winded. A good 25 minutes or better could've been shaved off the run-time, and the impact might've been a little stronger. Still, the performances are quite good, especially considering what the script requires. [ATTACH type="full"]39032[/ATTACH] He was producing a lot of horror films for Vincent Price in the early-'60s, so I'm sure he'd do Grande Dame Guignol correctly. It would've been great had it at least given it a shot. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top