Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 332674" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>I finally had the time to watch THE NIGHT WALKER on my laptop last night. I had downloaded it from You-Know-Where a few weeks ago. </p><p></p><p>I'll get right into discussing the film itself. </p><p></p><p>Directed by William Castle (the B-movie maestro behind films like THE TINGLER and HOMICIDAL), the story concerns the fate of Irene Trent (Barbara Stanwyck) as she deals with her blind husband Howard (Hayden Rorke), a millionaire. Howard is possessed with the notion that Irene is having an affair with his attorney Barry (Robert Taylor) because of the dreams he overheard as she sleeps. In reality, Irene is having a dream where she's visited by a handsome young suitor (Lloyd Bochner), who romances her. When Howard dies in an explosion, the mayhem ensues as Irene is either going crazy or being driven there. </p><p></p><p>That's enough of the plot. </p><p></p><p>THE NIGHT WALKER is basically an extended TWILIGHT ZONE episode. The music and cinematography both remind me of Rod Serling's anthology. Perhaps the strongest comparison between NIGHT WALKER and TWILIGHT ZONE is its opening prologue. It's a beautifully stylized opening narration that calls back to the TV series. Another comparison would be the use of creepy mannequins in the film. </p><p></p><p>Overall, I'd say I somewhat enjoyed NIGHT WALKER. I quite liked the B&W camera work (even if it did look a little bland in some spots) and Stanwyck's work in a rather thankless role as a wealthy widower apparently loosing her sanity. Taylor and Rorke also offer good performances (considering what the script requires). It was also interesting to see Stanwyck and Bochner (before their days as Constance and Cecil Colby, respectively) play lovers here. </p><p></p><p>I won't be as hard on NIGHT WALKER as some people might be. It wasn't totally bad, but not totally good. It's a fairly middling cheap mid-'60s follow-up to the high coat tails of better "hag horrors" such as BABY JANE and CHARLOTTE. </p><p></p><p>NIGHT WALKER quite simply isn't very memorable. It's definitely not one on my favorites of the Grande Dame Guignol sub-genre. It's a shame Stanwyck's only venture into these movies was this rather bland, drawn out psychological thriller. </p><p></p><p>Who knows, I might find myself watching NIGHT WALKER again one day, but it's safe to say, it won't be very soon. </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]39400[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 332674, member: 7"] I finally had the time to watch THE NIGHT WALKER on my laptop last night. I had downloaded it from You-Know-Where a few weeks ago. I'll get right into discussing the film itself. Directed by William Castle (the B-movie maestro behind films like THE TINGLER and HOMICIDAL), the story concerns the fate of Irene Trent (Barbara Stanwyck) as she deals with her blind husband Howard (Hayden Rorke), a millionaire. Howard is possessed with the notion that Irene is having an affair with his attorney Barry (Robert Taylor) because of the dreams he overheard as she sleeps. In reality, Irene is having a dream where she's visited by a handsome young suitor (Lloyd Bochner), who romances her. When Howard dies in an explosion, the mayhem ensues as Irene is either going crazy or being driven there. That's enough of the plot. THE NIGHT WALKER is basically an extended TWILIGHT ZONE episode. The music and cinematography both remind me of Rod Serling's anthology. Perhaps the strongest comparison between NIGHT WALKER and TWILIGHT ZONE is its opening prologue. It's a beautifully stylized opening narration that calls back to the TV series. Another comparison would be the use of creepy mannequins in the film. Overall, I'd say I somewhat enjoyed NIGHT WALKER. I quite liked the B&W camera work (even if it did look a little bland in some spots) and Stanwyck's work in a rather thankless role as a wealthy widower apparently loosing her sanity. Taylor and Rorke also offer good performances (considering what the script requires). It was also interesting to see Stanwyck and Bochner (before their days as Constance and Cecil Colby, respectively) play lovers here. I won't be as hard on NIGHT WALKER as some people might be. It wasn't totally bad, but not totally good. It's a fairly middling cheap mid-'60s follow-up to the high coat tails of better "hag horrors" such as BABY JANE and CHARLOTTE. NIGHT WALKER quite simply isn't very memorable. It's definitely not one on my favorites of the Grande Dame Guignol sub-genre. It's a shame Stanwyck's only venture into these movies was this rather bland, drawn out psychological thriller. Who knows, I might find myself watching NIGHT WALKER again one day, but it's safe to say, it won't be very soon. [ATTACH type="full"]39400[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top