Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="ClassyCo" data-source="post: 334000" data-attributes="member: 7"><p>Oh, I agree. I'm partial to old-school B&W movies. The B&W cinematography adds to the experience and atmosphere of the film, especially if we're talking about mysteries, horror films, or film noir. Colorizing something like BABY JANE is as useless as colorizing a classic like LAURA, a standout of the noir genre that depends heavily on its B&W cinematography to set the mood of the story. </p><p></p><p>I seem to recall hearing that Davis preferred BABY JANE to be shot in B&W because she didn't want her makeup (which she designed personally) to be too garish. I'm sure Crawford was also more or less insistent that the film not be done in color because, as I've read, she rebelled against being shot in color because she feared it would make her appear older than she wished. And for a image-cautious celebrity like Crawford, one can easily imaging such a story being true. Likewise, I'm sure Aldrich was more than okay with BABY JANE being shot in B&W, not only for budget restrictions, but also because he realized it fit the tone of the story.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="ClassyCo, post: 334000, member: 7"] Oh, I agree. I'm partial to old-school B&W movies. The B&W cinematography adds to the experience and atmosphere of the film, especially if we're talking about mysteries, horror films, or film noir. Colorizing something like BABY JANE is as useless as colorizing a classic like LAURA, a standout of the noir genre that depends heavily on its B&W cinematography to set the mood of the story. I seem to recall hearing that Davis preferred BABY JANE to be shot in B&W because she didn't want her makeup (which she designed personally) to be too garish. I'm sure Crawford was also more or less insistent that the film not be done in color because, as I've read, she rebelled against being shot in color because she feared it would make her appear older than she wished. And for a image-cautious celebrity like Crawford, one can easily imaging such a story being true. Likewise, I'm sure Aldrich was more than okay with BABY JANE being shot in B&W, not only for budget restrictions, but also because he realized it fit the tone of the story. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Grande Dame Guignol
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top