Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Hitchcock: His Talent, Movies, & Legacy
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spooky Owl!" data-source="post: 375720" data-attributes="member: 57984"><p>It's that sacred, hovering, pre-apocalyptic Cold War vibe thing that just permeated everything in the early-'60s. All you had to do was turn a camera on and say "boo!" and it mostly worked. It's ground zero for <em>creepy</em>, really. A twilight zone.</p><p></p><p>So many things from that period feel as if they're foretelling of some imminent cataclysm which seemed to be scheduled for the middle of decade, yet it never quite seemed to happen. But instead the culture started to unravel. And within a year or two of the president's assassination, collective fears about planetary annihilation by The Bomb were replaced by more banal concerns over a traditional ground war in SE Asia, etc.</p><p></p><p>What does that have to do with THE BIRDS? It always seems obvious to me.</p><p></p><p>I should go see it, to experience how bad the effects look on the big screen today. </p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I tend to agree about "Head Wren". She's gotten some snooty reviews at times, but she seems pitch perfect to me. There's a neurotic, slightly highbrow tension about her, and a clipped delivery that feels, well, bird-like.</p><p></p><p>I also agree about Grace Kelley -- I find her downright boring, in fact. Directly Stanley Kramer bemoaned how stiff he found her in HIGH NOON.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spooky Owl!, post: 375720, member: 57984"] It's that sacred, hovering, pre-apocalyptic Cold War vibe thing that just permeated everything in the early-'60s. All you had to do was turn a camera on and say "boo!" and it mostly worked. It's ground zero for [I]creepy[/I], really. A twilight zone. So many things from that period feel as if they're foretelling of some imminent cataclysm which seemed to be scheduled for the middle of decade, yet it never quite seemed to happen. But instead the culture started to unravel. And within a year or two of the president's assassination, collective fears about planetary annihilation by The Bomb were replaced by more banal concerns over a traditional ground war in SE Asia, etc. What does that have to do with THE BIRDS? It always seems obvious to me. I should go see it, to experience how bad the effects look on the big screen today. I tend to agree about "Head Wren". She's gotten some snooty reviews at times, but she seems pitch perfect to me. There's a neurotic, slightly highbrow tension about her, and a clipped delivery that feels, well, bird-like. I also agree about Grace Kelley -- I find her downright boring, in fact. Directly Stanley Kramer bemoaned how stiff he found her in HIGH NOON. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
Hitchcock: His Talent, Movies, & Legacy
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top