Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Dallas the TV series
Dallas Writers Room
JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction
Shot Through the Heart
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="CryptCreeper72" data-source="post: 261954" data-attributes="member: 5055"><p>I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.</p><p></p><p>This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot.</p><p></p><p>The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas."</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>Shot Through the Heart</p><p></p><p>Part Five::</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"I understand Mrs. Ewing had some visitors today," Kiefer said into the phone. He listened to the reply and grimaced. "I understand that. But given the present circumstances, I can't allow her to speak with anyone in the Ewing family if I'm not present. I've already made an exception for Pamela, and you know I'm not comfortable with even that. You're paying the bills, but SHE is my client. This can't happen again."</p><p></p><p>He listened again and shook his head. "Alright. Just make sure she doesn't have any more unexpected visits. I'm going over there tomorrow to cement our defense strategy. I'll make sure she understands. Thank you."</p><p></p><p>He hung up the phone and sighed heavily. Sue Ellen's benefactor was getting harder and harder to handle. Things were going to be difficult enough when he told her his defense strategy. She wasn't going to like it one bit. He imagined she would fight him. But his mind was made up. It was the only chance she had at a not guilty verdict. And if she or his benefactor refused to cooperate, then they could just find themselves a new lawyer.</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"You shouldn't be here!" Sue Ellen gasped.</p><p></p><p>"I only need a few minutes of your time, Sue Ellen. It's important."</p><p></p><p>"I can't imagine I'd be interested in anything you have to say, Cliff."</p><p></p><p>"Please. It's for your own good."</p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen hesitated for a few minutes then moved away from the door so that he could come inside. "Say what you have to say, then get out."</p><p></p><p>Cliff nodded and entered the apartment. "I talked to the DA, Sue Ellen. He's confident that he can get a conviction on attempted first degree murder. He has a gun found in your closet with only your prints on it. He has years of marital strife between you and JR. He has my paternity suit. Hell, he even has a witness that will testify that JR told you he was going to put you in a sanitarium, divorce you, take your son, and leave you penniless. They have motive, means, and opportunity. He wants to nail you to the wall."</p><p></p><p>"So?"</p><p></p><p>"Sue Ellen, I'm a prosecutor. You know that. You know I was good at my job. I've rarely seen a case this air tight. You're going to be convicted and you're going to go away for a very long time."</p><p></p><p>"So? What's it to you?" Sue Ellen demanded angrily. "Honestly, Cliff, did you just come here to gloat?"</p><p></p><p>"Of course not!" He defended himself. "I came to give you some advice. As much as the DA would love to get a conviction on attempted first degree, he might take less if your lawyer offered to plead guilty."</p><p></p><p>"What?"</p><p></p><p>"Take a plea deal, Sue Ellen. You'll do less time and the DA will take it to avoid a trial and embarrassment of the rich and powerful Ewings."</p><p></p><p>"What are you talking about, Cliff?"</p><p></p><p>"If you go to trial, you're going to be convicted. This way, you can get a reduced sentence. All of your and JR's dirty laundry will stay buried."</p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen shook her head and backed away from him. "Our dirty laundry?" She repeated. "What about yours, Cliff? Is that why you're here? To convince me to go to jail so you won't be humiliated in public by our affair and your little paternity suit?"</p><p></p><p>"Of course not, Sue Ellen," he cried. "I'm here to help you! I'm hurt you'd think I had an ulterior motive!"</p><p></p><p>"Get out!" Sue Ellen seethed angrily. "And don't you ever come back here, Cliff!"</p><p></p><p>She watched as he shrugged his shoulders, walked to the door, and left her apartment. How dare he? </p><p></p><p>"How could I have ever thought I loved that man?" She muttered to herself. It was clear to her now that Cliff Barnes had been one more bad decision in a life long string of bad decisions.</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>Kristen hummed softly to herself as she carried her bags into the kitchen. She's had a very productive day.</p><p></p><p>The DA had called her this morning and asked her to come in for an interview. She'd told him everything, handing him her sister's head on a silver platter.</p><p></p><p>Sue Ellen was going to prison for a very long time. JR was half crippled and half a man. They were both getting what they deserved.</p><p></p><p>And Kristen was going to make sure she has a front row seat to it all.</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>JR couldn't sleep.</p><p></p><p>Why had he done that? Why had he started a fight with her? Why had he said those things…</p><p></p><p>He had wanted to know if there was a lover. He wasn't sure why he even cared, but he needed to know.</p><p></p><p>He still couldn't quite bring himself to believe she'd shot him. He knew he had treated her like garbage. He knew she'd been drunk. He knew she had every reason in the world to want him dead.</p><p></p><p>Still, he'd held out hope that it hadn't been her, and it had hurt him when she didn't deny it. She'd hurt him, and so he'd lashed out at her.</p><p></p><p>Just like always, they couldn't even seem to be in the same room for five minutes without being at each other's throats.</p><p></p><p>They had once been so happy and so in love. What had happened to them?</p><p></p><p>"YOU happened, JR," he mumbled to himself. "This is all on you."</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"Do you understand what I've told you, Sue Ellen?"</p><p></p><p>She looked up at the lawyer with wide eyes and nodded. "Yes. But I don't understand. I thought we were going with temporary insanity."</p><p></p><p>"That was my original plan," Kiefer told her, "I've used that defense successfully in the past when a cheating husband was the victim. But in the Berringer case, I had the shock of a naive wife actually walking in and seeing her husband with another woman. With you, we have years of adultery. It'll be hard to convince a jury that you suddenly snapped after all those years."</p><p></p><p>"But…"</p><p></p><p>"Sue Ellen, all we need is one juror to have a reasonable doubt that you shot your husband. We are going to serve up half a dozen other suspects and scenarios. Half the people in Dallas wanted JR dead."</p><p></p><p>"My prints are the one on the gun," she reminded him.</p><p></p><p>"Yes, your prints are on the gun that was kept in your closet. I can explain that away. I also have a forensic expert who can testify that another person could have touched that gun with gloves on, not leaving any prints and leaving yours intact."</p><p></p><p>"I don't know," Sue Ellen hesiststed. "JR…"</p><p></p><p>"You can't think about JR. You can't think about the Ewing family. You can't think of anyone but yourself. You need to trust me. I know what I'm doing."</p><p></p><p>"Alright," she agreed softly.</p><p></p><p>"Good," Kiefer nodded in satisfaction. "Now, about Mr. Barnes, if he comes back here, call me immediately. Do not let him in this apartment. Or anyone else for that matter. Just Pam Ewing and your son. Do you understand me?"</p><p></p><p>"Yes."</p><p></p><p>"Alright," he glanced down at his watch. "Pam will be here with John Ross soon. We'll talk more after they leave."</p><p></p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"None of them?" Jock growled.</p><p></p><p>"That's right," Harv sighed. "No one in your house is missing any money whatsoever. Whoever is helping Sue Ellen, it isn't a Ewing."</p><p></p><p>"Then who?"</p><p></p><p>"I don't know, Jock. But a defense like the one Kiefer is mounting isn't cheap. Then there's the apartment and food and household bills. Someone is spending a fortune. Have you considered…"</p><p></p><p>"What?"</p><p></p><p>"JR has a lot of very wealthy enemies. Maybe one of them has decided to get back at him by footing Sue Ellen's bills?"</p><p></p><p>"Can you find out?"</p><p></p><p>"I can try," Harv told him. "But I can't promise anything."</p><p></p><p>"Let me know what you come up with. I want whoever is helping her exposed. I'll put a stop to it. One way or another."</p><p></p><p>***</p><p></p><p>"Yes? Yes. Pam and John Ross are with her now. They were planning to go to the park…" Kiefer stopped talking when the person on the other end of the phone broke out into a furious rant. He listened, his eyes narrowed with his own anger. "How exactly do you know that Cliff Barnes went to see my client? Yes. I know you had conditions. I've already spoken to her about it. It won't happen again."</p><p></p><p>Kiefer sat back in his chair and listened as the rant continued. "Listen," he finally interrupted, "that's not what's going on here. Barnes was in that apartment less than ten minutes before she kicked him out. I made it clear she was never to let him inside again. You have got to calm down and let me do my job! Yes. I understand completely. As I said, it won't happen again."</p><p></p><p>Kiefer hung the phone up and tried to calm himself down. This anonymous donor was getting out of control. He needed to figure out how to keep everyone calm and happy. If he didn't, Sue Ellen would lose everything - including her freedom.</p><p></p><p>***</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="CryptCreeper72, post: 261954, member: 5055"] I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended. This fic is an alternate timeline and features a totally different resolution to the "Who Shot JR?" plot. The timeline breaks at episode four of season four of "Dallas." *** Shot Through the Heart Part Five:: *** "I understand Mrs. Ewing had some visitors today," Kiefer said into the phone. He listened to the reply and grimaced. "I understand that. But given the present circumstances, I can't allow her to speak with anyone in the Ewing family if I'm not present. I've already made an exception for Pamela, and you know I'm not comfortable with even that. You're paying the bills, but SHE is my client. This can't happen again." He listened again and shook his head. "Alright. Just make sure she doesn't have any more unexpected visits. I'm going over there tomorrow to cement our defense strategy. I'll make sure she understands. Thank you." He hung up the phone and sighed heavily. Sue Ellen's benefactor was getting harder and harder to handle. Things were going to be difficult enough when he told her his defense strategy. She wasn't going to like it one bit. He imagined she would fight him. But his mind was made up. It was the only chance she had at a not guilty verdict. And if she or his benefactor refused to cooperate, then they could just find themselves a new lawyer. *** "You shouldn't be here!" Sue Ellen gasped. "I only need a few minutes of your time, Sue Ellen. It's important." "I can't imagine I'd be interested in anything you have to say, Cliff." "Please. It's for your own good." Sue Ellen hesitated for a few minutes then moved away from the door so that he could come inside. "Say what you have to say, then get out." Cliff nodded and entered the apartment. "I talked to the DA, Sue Ellen. He's confident that he can get a conviction on attempted first degree murder. He has a gun found in your closet with only your prints on it. He has years of marital strife between you and JR. He has my paternity suit. Hell, he even has a witness that will testify that JR told you he was going to put you in a sanitarium, divorce you, take your son, and leave you penniless. They have motive, means, and opportunity. He wants to nail you to the wall." "So?" "Sue Ellen, I'm a prosecutor. You know that. You know I was good at my job. I've rarely seen a case this air tight. You're going to be convicted and you're going to go away for a very long time." "So? What's it to you?" Sue Ellen demanded angrily. "Honestly, Cliff, did you just come here to gloat?" "Of course not!" He defended himself. "I came to give you some advice. As much as the DA would love to get a conviction on attempted first degree, he might take less if your lawyer offered to plead guilty." "What?" "Take a plea deal, Sue Ellen. You'll do less time and the DA will take it to avoid a trial and embarrassment of the rich and powerful Ewings." "What are you talking about, Cliff?" "If you go to trial, you're going to be convicted. This way, you can get a reduced sentence. All of your and JR's dirty laundry will stay buried." Sue Ellen shook her head and backed away from him. "Our dirty laundry?" She repeated. "What about yours, Cliff? Is that why you're here? To convince me to go to jail so you won't be humiliated in public by our affair and your little paternity suit?" "Of course not, Sue Ellen," he cried. "I'm here to help you! I'm hurt you'd think I had an ulterior motive!" "Get out!" Sue Ellen seethed angrily. "And don't you ever come back here, Cliff!" She watched as he shrugged his shoulders, walked to the door, and left her apartment. How dare he? "How could I have ever thought I loved that man?" She muttered to herself. It was clear to her now that Cliff Barnes had been one more bad decision in a life long string of bad decisions. *** Kristen hummed softly to herself as she carried her bags into the kitchen. She's had a very productive day. The DA had called her this morning and asked her to come in for an interview. She'd told him everything, handing him her sister's head on a silver platter. Sue Ellen was going to prison for a very long time. JR was half crippled and half a man. They were both getting what they deserved. And Kristen was going to make sure she has a front row seat to it all. *** JR couldn't sleep. Why had he done that? Why had he started a fight with her? Why had he said those things… He had wanted to know if there was a lover. He wasn't sure why he even cared, but he needed to know. He still couldn't quite bring himself to believe she'd shot him. He knew he had treated her like garbage. He knew she'd been drunk. He knew she had every reason in the world to want him dead. Still, he'd held out hope that it hadn't been her, and it had hurt him when she didn't deny it. She'd hurt him, and so he'd lashed out at her. Just like always, they couldn't even seem to be in the same room for five minutes without being at each other's throats. They had once been so happy and so in love. What had happened to them? "YOU happened, JR," he mumbled to himself. "This is all on you." *** "Do you understand what I've told you, Sue Ellen?" She looked up at the lawyer with wide eyes and nodded. "Yes. But I don't understand. I thought we were going with temporary insanity." "That was my original plan," Kiefer told her, "I've used that defense successfully in the past when a cheating husband was the victim. But in the Berringer case, I had the shock of a naive wife actually walking in and seeing her husband with another woman. With you, we have years of adultery. It'll be hard to convince a jury that you suddenly snapped after all those years." "But…" "Sue Ellen, all we need is one juror to have a reasonable doubt that you shot your husband. We are going to serve up half a dozen other suspects and scenarios. Half the people in Dallas wanted JR dead." "My prints are the one on the gun," she reminded him. "Yes, your prints are on the gun that was kept in your closet. I can explain that away. I also have a forensic expert who can testify that another person could have touched that gun with gloves on, not leaving any prints and leaving yours intact." "I don't know," Sue Ellen hesiststed. "JR…" "You can't think about JR. You can't think about the Ewing family. You can't think of anyone but yourself. You need to trust me. I know what I'm doing." "Alright," she agreed softly. "Good," Kiefer nodded in satisfaction. "Now, about Mr. Barnes, if he comes back here, call me immediately. Do not let him in this apartment. Or anyone else for that matter. Just Pam Ewing and your son. Do you understand me?" "Yes." "Alright," he glanced down at his watch. "Pam will be here with John Ross soon. We'll talk more after they leave." *** "None of them?" Jock growled. "That's right," Harv sighed. "No one in your house is missing any money whatsoever. Whoever is helping Sue Ellen, it isn't a Ewing." "Then who?" "I don't know, Jock. But a defense like the one Kiefer is mounting isn't cheap. Then there's the apartment and food and household bills. Someone is spending a fortune. Have you considered…" "What?" "JR has a lot of very wealthy enemies. Maybe one of them has decided to get back at him by footing Sue Ellen's bills?" "Can you find out?" "I can try," Harv told him. "But I can't promise anything." "Let me know what you come up with. I want whoever is helping her exposed. I'll put a stop to it. One way or another." *** "Yes? Yes. Pam and John Ross are with her now. They were planning to go to the park…" Kiefer stopped talking when the person on the other end of the phone broke out into a furious rant. He listened, his eyes narrowed with his own anger. "How exactly do you know that Cliff Barnes went to see my client? Yes. I know you had conditions. I've already spoken to her about it. It won't happen again." Kiefer sat back in his chair and listened as the rant continued. "Listen," he finally interrupted, "that's not what's going on here. Barnes was in that apartment less than ten minutes before she kicked him out. I made it clear she was never to let him inside again. You have got to calm down and let me do my job! Yes. I understand completely. As I said, it won't happen again." Kiefer hung the phone up and tried to calm himself down. This anonymous donor was getting out of control. He needed to figure out how to keep everyone calm and happy. If he didn't, Sue Ellen would lose everything - including her freedom. *** [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Dallas the TV series
Dallas Writers Room
JR & Sue Ellen Fan-fiction
Shot Through the Heart
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top