Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Dynasty
CW Dynasty
The Ratings Thread
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Carrie Fairchild" data-source="post: 94860" data-attributes="member: 673"><p>I found this recently and it's the clearest of any upload I've seen so far. Unfortunately, they haven't uploaded any further episodes.</p><p></p><p>[MEDIA=youtube]EexAQZVoY28[/MEDIA]</p><p></p><p>There were a few reasons why the show bombed. As you said, CBS in 1995, was a network with a much older audience. It was the home of more gentle shows like <em>Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, Due South, Murder She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder </em>and<em> Touched By An Angel. </em>A soap about young Manhattan clothes horses, scaling the social ladder on their backs (to quote the great Linda Fairchild Rush) just didn't fit in on CBS. I still believe that the show would've lived had it aired on FOX. Their soaps were still rating well and <em>Central Park West</em> would've been a good companion piece to <em>Melrose Place</em>. FOX actually made an offer for the show but were unable to match the money offered by CBS (I recall $1m an episode being quoted). </p><p></p><p>Even on CBS, there's a chance it could have survived but they didn't box clever with the timeslot. It was hailed as the most hyped show of the new season. As a result, FOX counter-programmed against it, first with a two hour premiere of 90210 up against the first episode of <em>Central Park West</em> and then again the following week, they put a special 100th episode of <em>Melrose </em>against it (it was actually the show's 99th episode but they promoted it as the 100th). Both FOX soaps were at the height of their powers at the time so <em>Central Park West</em> didn't stand a chance. Had they scheduled the show in a 10pm timeslot, either on Wednesday or elsewhere, it may have fared better among soap fans as it would've been clear of any of the FOX soaps, given that the network's primetime programming finishes up at 10pm.</p><p></p><p>I think the first thirteen episodes of the original are <u>almost</u> perfect (I'm not that bothered with the Alex arc) so I'd have mixed feelings about seeing it being remade on an inevitably lower budget on today's CW.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Carrie Fairchild, post: 94860, member: 673"] I found this recently and it's the clearest of any upload I've seen so far. Unfortunately, they haven't uploaded any further episodes. [MEDIA=youtube]EexAQZVoY28[/MEDIA] There were a few reasons why the show bombed. As you said, CBS in 1995, was a network with a much older audience. It was the home of more gentle shows like [I]Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, Due South, Murder She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder [/I]and[I] Touched By An Angel. [/I]A soap about young Manhattan clothes horses, scaling the social ladder on their backs (to quote the great Linda Fairchild Rush) just didn't fit in on CBS. I still believe that the show would've lived had it aired on FOX. Their soaps were still rating well and [I]Central Park West[/I] would've been a good companion piece to [I]Melrose Place[/I]. FOX actually made an offer for the show but were unable to match the money offered by CBS (I recall $1m an episode being quoted). Even on CBS, there's a chance it could have survived but they didn't box clever with the timeslot. It was hailed as the most hyped show of the new season. As a result, FOX counter-programmed against it, first with a two hour premiere of 90210 up against the first episode of [I]Central Park West[/I] and then again the following week, they put a special 100th episode of [I]Melrose [/I]against it (it was actually the show's 99th episode but they promoted it as the 100th). Both FOX soaps were at the height of their powers at the time so [I]Central Park West[/I] didn't stand a chance. Had they scheduled the show in a 10pm timeslot, either on Wednesday or elsewhere, it may have fared better among soap fans as it would've been clear of any of the FOX soaps, given that the network's primetime programming finishes up at 10pm. I think the first thirteen episodes of the original are [U]almost[/U] perfect (I'm not that bothered with the Alex arc) so I'd have mixed feelings about seeing it being remade on an inevitably lower budget on today's CW. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Dynasty
CW Dynasty
The Ratings Thread
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top