Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
The "Up" documentary series (Seven Up! to 70 Up)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 444920" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Last night, having watched the first part at the weekend, I watched the final part of <em>70 Up</em>.</p><p></p><p>What a profound experience it's been. And it's a little ironic that the first episodes I've watched at the time of their release are also the final ones (except never say never).</p><p></p><p>If this is indeed the last time we spend with the Uppers, I feel we've had closure. It was a highly reflective visit and feels the subjects seized the opportunity to speak about their journey as a whole, and to say goodbye. </p><p></p><p>For me, this time round, it's the quieter characters who have stood out.</p><p></p><p>Through almost all the episodes focusing on adulthood, I've expressed disappointment at the absence of Charles, and while he didn't appear here in the conventional way, I very much appreciate that he did finally return to straighten some things out and to update the audience in a way that he managed. It's an example of a complete turnaround. He began as this seven year old, grouped in with two others from his school who he barely knew and didn't feel any kinship with, and yet associated that group until he was in his twenties, to his great discomfort. And he's signed off as someone who has claimed his own identity and shared his story and his image in a way that he controls. And he probably only did this in light of Michael Apted's death and this being intended as the last episode. </p><p></p><p>Likewise, Paul and Symon are perhaps the series' two most grounded characters. Paul's quiet ways always make complete sense to me (I'd say he's the wisest Upper), and Symon reaping the rewards of carving out the simple family life he never had is just beautiful. </p><p></p><p>There were a couple of surprises. I had known about [ISPOILER]Nick's death back in 2023, so was pleasantly surprised to see new footage of him recorded before his death. Seeing that he had died just three days after the interview was recorded was incredibly touching, but also felt very right given his passionate views (expressed in the Wake of Apted's death) that the series should follow its subjects to the grave. It's sad he died so young, but I'm glad he got that wish fulfilled and had his closure, as well as appearing to live a life that gave him a wealth of experiences. [/ISPOILER]</p><p></p><p>Given the interview was recorded, it seems there must have been some notion of doing<em> 70 Up</em> as far back as 2023. </p><p></p><p>It really felt the gang was all here. </p><p></p><p>One disappointment was the minimal time spent on the reunion. We glimpsed them together, but there was very little time with them as a collective. This is, I think, the first time they've been gathered since <em>21 Up,</em> so I wanted to see more of the dynamics and hear their conversations. Still, it will do me that it happened. </p><p></p><p>Any series running for 63 years is an achievement. This documentary doing that is nothing short of remarkable. As always - and especially with the more recent visits - this has got me reflecting about my own life. And a series which makes its audience connect so deeply is a must-watch. </p><p></p><p>I hope to re-watch the entire series in due course.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 444920, member: 23"] Last night, having watched the first part at the weekend, I watched the final part of [I]70 Up[/I]. What a profound experience it's been. And it's a little ironic that the first episodes I've watched at the time of their release are also the final ones (except never say never). If this is indeed the last time we spend with the Uppers, I feel we've had closure. It was a highly reflective visit and feels the subjects seized the opportunity to speak about their journey as a whole, and to say goodbye. For me, this time round, it's the quieter characters who have stood out. Through almost all the episodes focusing on adulthood, I've expressed disappointment at the absence of Charles, and while he didn't appear here in the conventional way, I very much appreciate that he did finally return to straighten some things out and to update the audience in a way that he managed. It's an example of a complete turnaround. He began as this seven year old, grouped in with two others from his school who he barely knew and didn't feel any kinship with, and yet associated that group until he was in his twenties, to his great discomfort. And he's signed off as someone who has claimed his own identity and shared his story and his image in a way that he controls. And he probably only did this in light of Michael Apted's death and this being intended as the last episode. Likewise, Paul and Symon are perhaps the series' two most grounded characters. Paul's quiet ways always make complete sense to me (I'd say he's the wisest Upper), and Symon reaping the rewards of carving out the simple family life he never had is just beautiful. There were a couple of surprises. I had known about [ISPOILER]Nick's death back in 2023, so was pleasantly surprised to see new footage of him recorded before his death. Seeing that he had died just three days after the interview was recorded was incredibly touching, but also felt very right given his passionate views (expressed in the Wake of Apted's death) that the series should follow its subjects to the grave. It's sad he died so young, but I'm glad he got that wish fulfilled and had his closure, as well as appearing to live a life that gave him a wealth of experiences. [/ISPOILER] Given the interview was recorded, it seems there must have been some notion of doing[I] 70 Up[/I] as far back as 2023. It really felt the gang was all here. One disappointment was the minimal time spent on the reunion. We glimpsed them together, but there was very little time with them as a collective. This is, I think, the first time they've been gathered since [I]21 Up,[/I] so I wanted to see more of the dynamics and hear their conversations. Still, it will do me that it happened. Any series running for 63 years is an achievement. This documentary doing that is nothing short of remarkable. As always - and especially with the more recent visits - this has got me reflecting about my own life. And a series which makes its audience connect so deeply is a must-watch. I hope to re-watch the entire series in due course. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Speciality TV
Documentaries
The "Up" documentary series (Seven Up! to 70 Up)
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top