Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Willie Oleson" data-source="post: 444738" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>Village Of The Damned (1995)</p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]59674[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>It's not the kind of film I would have ignored while browsing the video shelves and I'm sure it was perfectly serviceable for the much younger and less demanding version of me.</p><p>The film looks nice enough, a bit nondescript in that typically post-eighties Hollywood kind of way, and the beginning of the story actually looks very intriguing. I guess every unexplainable phenomenon is inherently fascinating, and this story would have been so much better if it had been written as a quasi-paranoid "what if?" scenario.</p><p>Once the aggressive alien toddlers with stupid hair appear on screen it becomes an ordinary survival story with a little bit of entertaining carnage.</p><p>All the characters in the story know what's going on and yet it never looks as if the isolated community is being terrorised.</p><p>And where are all the normal kids? They'd make for better and more juicy victims than a bunch of old guys.</p><p>There's nothing genuinely creepy about the alien kids and there were several moments in the film when I felt downright bored.</p><p></p><p>The highlight of this film - albeit for all the wrong reasons - is Kirstie Alley's portrayal of the sassy, cigarillo-smoking scientist with glamorous hair, usually dressed in dramatic black to express a sense of ambiguous authority.</p><p>Probably best described as "unintentional camp" but at least it made me laugh.</p><p>The score and sound effects are very good and easily upstage anything that's going on on-screen.</p><p>I don't know how it compares to the first version made in 1960 but the story is what it is therefore I don't expect it to be <em>much</em> better.</p><p>It's an interesting premise that may benefit from a more spiritual/literary approach. As physical sci-fi it kinda sucks, imo.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Willie Oleson, post: 444738, member: 8"] Village Of The Damned (1995) [ATTACH type="full"]59674[/ATTACH] It's not the kind of film I would have ignored while browsing the video shelves and I'm sure it was perfectly serviceable for the much younger and less demanding version of me. The film looks nice enough, a bit nondescript in that typically post-eighties Hollywood kind of way, and the beginning of the story actually looks very intriguing. I guess every unexplainable phenomenon is inherently fascinating, and this story would have been so much better if it had been written as a quasi-paranoid "what if?" scenario. Once the aggressive alien toddlers with stupid hair appear on screen it becomes an ordinary survival story with a little bit of entertaining carnage. All the characters in the story know what's going on and yet it never looks as if the isolated community is being terrorised. And where are all the normal kids? They'd make for better and more juicy victims than a bunch of old guys. There's nothing genuinely creepy about the alien kids and there were several moments in the film when I felt downright bored. The highlight of this film - albeit for all the wrong reasons - is Kirstie Alley's portrayal of the sassy, cigarillo-smoking scientist with glamorous hair, usually dressed in dramatic black to express a sense of ambiguous authority. Probably best described as "unintentional camp" but at least it made me laugh. The score and sound effects are very good and easily upstage anything that's going on on-screen. I don't know how it compares to the first version made in 1960 but the story is what it is therefore I don't expect it to be [I]much[/I] better. It's an interesting premise that may benefit from a more spiritual/literary approach. As physical sci-fi it kinda sucks, imo. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
What was the last film you watched?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top