upload_2019-2-7_3-9-35.png

Should I also buy LOS Colbys?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What's the kind of crowd you usually entertain?
Arty people, the kind of people that snigger behind your back when you display a cliché coffee table book - hence my distress.

Btw, I didn't buy another The Colbys set just for the heck of it. I encountered a playback problem with an episode (distorded image) although it plays fine in my DVD player.
Nevertheless I panicked and immediately bought the UK box set, and I'm keeping both, of course.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Arty people, the kind of people that snigger behind your back when you display a cliché coffee table book - hence my distress.

Wow. They sound kinda like jerks. But they're your friends, so I wouldn't know. Heh, maybe you should go ahead and display both versions: be brazen, show them you don't give a rap because you like what you have and don't care if they snigger?

"What ARE you sniggering at?"

Btw, I didn't buy another The Colbys set just for the heck of it. I encountered a playback problem with an episode (distorded image) although it plays fine in my DVD player.
Nevertheless I panicked and immediately bought the UK box set, and I'm keeping both, of course.

I can understand that. :)

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's Madonna's Sex book isn't it?

I'd display both. Too much is never enough.

Never, Never! Never enough!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd display both
Yeah, I could put the big box on a different shelf, maybe between Twin Peaks and Footballers Wives...although it's very daring to put fuchsia pink between dark green and yellow.
I could try it for a few days, maybe I'll get used to it.
And I could pretend to be casual, and tell my arty friends "oh, well...I just put it there".
Casual is cool.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Yeah, I could put the big box on a different shelf, maybe between Twin Peaks and Footballers Wives...although it's very daring to put fuchsia pink between dark green and yellow.
I could try it for a few days, maybe I'll get used to it.
And I could pretend to be casual, and tell my arty friends "oh, well...I just put it there".
Casual is cool.

Whatever you decide will be elegant, fancy and fashionable. But you MUST find new friends soon...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, Toni, I've decided to compromise. I'm putting the UK discs in the German box sets (and vice versa). The big pink DVD set goes into a box or storage closet.
Problem solved.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Yes, they look more elegant. That pink of the UK set is just ... ewwww.. :lol:
The thin font for that fat set looks ugly as well... kind of amateurish.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Do you like this cover?

Spain is finally seeing your fav show released on dvd in a very very low profile, years (decade?) after the release of only the first two seasons of both "Dallas" and "Falcon Crest", and the whole garbage pack of "The Colbys". :fp:

Its rights have been bought by a quite infamous company known for using the Spanish dubbing out of the pirate versions to download, paying no right to anyone, neither the channel who ordered its dubbing at the time (TVE) nor, of course, the fans who joined forces to have the show in Spanish.:re:

This version features 3 discs for Region 2 in Dolby Digital. The cover, as you can see, doesn´t even specify if it´s Season 1 (only "Volume 1") and the pic shows, well, not only missing Joan Collins, but, ahem, also Heather Locklear, who both debuted in the next season. The cast info also mistakenly lists the names of Thomson and Nader (cough, cough...) :spinning:

More info here:
https://www.moviesdistribucion.com/dvd/ficha/?Dinast%EDa+%2D+Vol%2E+1

Thanks to my darling @E-JULIAN for letting me know these terrible amazing news!!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They even dubbed the pirate versions? How persistent!

Not at all Willie! When a show is not for sale, fans put it "out there" in Spanish, and take the English dvd's and add the Spanish language quite artfully, because those dialogues come from VCR tapings from the 80´s. Why? Well, because English for people who grew up in that decade was not as usual as in other countries, let's say Sweden, where kids really grow up being bilinguals. Besides, there is the laziness...and the fact that "Dynasty" didn´t have Spanish subtitles in the dvd versions you all bought and watched religiously.

Sometimes the dialogue quality is not too good, but you know how we fans are...And whoever wants to re-watch it, until now that was the only option. I won´t get into detail but those dvd copies with the added Spanish dialogues are "shared" (with no problem with our laws because only big sites devoted to that are the ones that may be put off-line and / or fined).

Summing it up, what this company may have done now is, buying the rights of "Dynasty" legally for my country, and then, instead of buying the rights for the Spanish dialogues too (sometimes also really expensive), they just go and take the "amateurish" copies of the shows with dialogues added, and make a profit out of it.

This has been done before with some anime series from the 70´s and I can tell you they used home-recorded dialogues for some episodes, very badly cleaned and even with some typical sounds from the home recordings of the era. Besides, in my country, "soaps are for housewives and gays", and they must think that too and try to earn some euros from the people who just is too lazy to download anything.

So far, this is speculation, but here there were no more "Dallas" or "Falcon Crest" on dvd after their second seasons, partly because the sales numbers were low. Should "Dynasty" (or even "Dallas") be released this way? Well, not IMHO, because they are treating the shows like subproducts that were hardly re-run in Spain, and they must think they will attract the fans (ignoring the fact that those who really want to watch the series, bought the original dvds and ALSO got the Spanish pirate copies some way). Oh and please don´t ask me about "Knots Landing"... (Thanks to the Dailymotion Gods for that!)

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not at all Willie! When a show is not for sale, fans put it "out there" in Spanish, and take the English dvd's and add the Spanish language quite artfully, because those dialogues come from VCR tapings from the 80´s.
That must be a very complicated process, I mean with the timing of the vocals and all that.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think I'm in love with the Australian boxset.

View attachment 27125
Ooh...so pretty! And look at the font, the most authentic version I've seen so far.

I love it. But I prefer the Mojave Collector's Edition :

Aspace.jpg

A very nice set indeed. A bit spoilery though.

Last edited: