Angela and Chao-Li

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
"In a wonderful interview that Thomas did with Chao Li and that is included in one of his Newsletter
Chao told the following
In the beginning, Earl invited every actor to write a biography for his character. Then Earl developed the relationships
Obviously, Chao-Li's father was supposed to have done all the work there for the Giobertis. “And I [the character] grew up with Jane Wyman [Angela],” Chao-Li continued. “So I grew up serving her, but I was younger than her. And growing up here, I thought she was like an older sister and she protected me. That justifies Chao-Li's devotion. It was not because she was serving in this house, but we grew up together… ”, he explained. So they had a very special relationship despite being from different classes. As much as he cared for her, she cared for him."

Chao was ten years younger than Jane but on screen they looked the same age
Do you remember that at some point it was remembered that you grew up and played together?
More than childhood friends from my point of view, they were always the lady and the butler

Attachments

• imagen_2022-10-07_131040573.png
    imagen_2022-10-07_131040573.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 18

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
FALCON CREST just wouldn't have been FALCON CREST without Chao-Li. More often than not he hadn't many lines, when he had you sat up and took notice. He was an important character, rooted from his link to the Gioberti family. As I have said many times before Chao-Li's side of FC should have been beefed up, in the twilight years and I'm sure it wouldn't have broke the bank to have his sons appear, in season 8. Angela and the Chinese gent had some great scenes during the nine seasons; a bit of business, some moving emotional stuff and most importantly the two of them always had each other backs.

The formidable duo Chao-Li and Angela are heading out and taking a break from the grape action

Falcon Crest is now owned by Melissa and soon it will be Nick Agretti (her cousin) who controls the winery empire (albeit for a short stint). The formidable duo that is Angela and Chao-Li are breaking and entering into the mansion, during the night. Chao-Li equipped with a knife, is trying to gain access through a back window. Angela is getting impatient, (a scene from season 8, 1988 – ‘89):

Angela: “Oh, Chao-Li you are impossible!”

Chao-Li: “Perhaps my inner being is resisting burglary.”

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was always clear that Chao-Li and Angela had a long history that tied them together and although he worked for her, he was more of a friend than an employee. I think it was a missed opportunity that they didn't explore Chao-Li's family and background more.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
It was always clear that Chao-Li and Angela had a long history that tied them together and although he worked for her, he was more of a friend than an employee. I think it was a missed opportunity that they didn't explore Chao-Li's family and background more.
The producers behaved very badly with Chao-Li
In 2004 he commented he was very bitter about not being invited to the 200th episode party.d. He mentioned that he never received an invitation and seems to blame the people in charge of season 8 for this faux pas.
To Ana Alicia after the years she was still upset in an interview she commented in 2013
She recalls that he was so highly regarded among the main cast of "Falcon Crest" that they were all dismayed when they learned how the new producers of the show, during the eighth season, neglected to invite him to the lavish party celebrating the 200th episode of the series, "I do remember that incident and we were all very, very upset when we learned about it because he was such an important member of our cast, and he should not have been treated that way. It was a real privilege to have known him and worked with him all of those years."
Chao had worked on the previous episodes and later.
Cesar Romero who had last appeared in episode 2 of the eighth season if he was invited
Jane with all her power did nothing, with threatening not to go she would have fixed
By the way, Chao does not comment that after finishing the shooting they would have seen each other again. He didn't even attend her funeral
A member of the team commented Without denying the professional and artistic category of Jane Wyman, I consider that her divisiveness is misplaced. Despite her correct behavior, she does not integrate with us. She has built a wall next to which she is and the other, the other artists and her technical staff. It's ridiculous!"
By the way, I don't see Margaret Ladd in the photo.

Attachments

• 200th episode of Falcon Crest at The Four Seasons Hote.jpg
    200th episode of Falcon Crest at The Four Seasons Hote.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The producers behaved very badly with Chao-Li
In 2004 he commented he was very bitter about not being invited to the 200th episode party.d. He mentioned that he never received an invitation and seems to blame the people in charge of season 8 for this faux pas.
To Ana Alicia after the years she was still upset in an interview she commented in 2013
She recalls that he was so highly regarded among the main cast of "Falcon Crest" that they were all dismayed when they learned how the new producers of the show, during the eighth season, neglected to invite him to the lavish party celebrating the 200th episode of the series, "I do remember that incident and we were all very, very upset when we learned about it because he was such an important member of our cast, and he should not have been treated that way. It was a real privilege to have known him and worked with him all of those years."
Chao had worked on the previous episodes and later.
Cesar Romero who had last appeared in episode 2 of the eighth season if he was invited
Jane with all her power did nothing, with threatening not to go she would have fixed
By the way, Chao does not comment that after finishing the shooting they would have seen each other again. He didn't even attend her funeral
A member of the team commented Without denying the professional and artistic category of Jane Wyman, I consider that her divisiveness is misplaced. Despite her correct behavior, she does not integrate with us. She has built a wall next to which she is and the other, the other artists and her technical staff. It's ridiculous!"
By the way, I don't see Margaret Ladd in the photo.
I find some of this hard to believe. All the main cast were invited and none of them questioned why Chao-Li wasn't there? I would imagine Earl Hamner would have been invited and was ok with that omission? Ana-Alicia is no shrinking violent so if she was so upset why didn't she do anything? I think the whole story was made up for clickbait and over the years it's just became accepted as being the truth.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
I find some of this hard to believe. All the main cast were invited and none of them questioned why Chao-Li wasn't there? I would imagine Earl Hamner would have been invited and was ok with that omission? Ana-Alicia is no shrinking violent so if she was so upset why didn't she do anything? I think the whole story was made up for clickbait and over the years it's just became accepted as being the truth.
Chao Li himself told the president of the German club so that he was going to lie,
The one she should have protested was Jane at last. Almost all the scenes had Chao with her.
Chao Li is not in the photo. Cesar Romero did, although after episode two of the eighth he NEVER appeared again. The 200th episode was the 17th of the series so I don't know what I was doing there
Carl Held Gath if this . The one I don't see is Margaret Ladd Emma y David Selby Richard
TJP could inform us of what really happened

Attachments

• 200 party.jpg
    200 party.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 21

Arlene Halloran

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The writing for Chao-Li as a main character was mediocre. Although the fact that he was an Asian American in a popular 80s primetime show was probably good enough, for the decade that was in it. He got an important health storyline in season 6 and 7, which showcased his acting. I agree with the major points in this thread i.e. very loyal and actually he was more like a husband to Angela, than her actual spouses Douglas, Phillip, Peter and Frank. They knew each other for 40 years, warts and all.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Indeed, Mike Filerman and his cohorts on the executive side of Lorimar selected who should be invited for the 200th episode celebration.

I honestly don't know if it was a deliberate decision not to invite Chao-Li or not, but the fact is that he wasn't invited. Chao-Li told me an my colleagues, and we don't have any reason to believe that this wouldn't be the truth. Chao-Li was a very polite and humble person. I don't know many people who were / are as honest as he was.

Earl wasn't invited either, and the reason was quite obvious. Earl and Filerman never got along, which was the reason why Filerman had to be "bought out" in the first place — as everyone knows by this time (I think), Filerman was removed from his executive producing duties after # 012 <1.12>, but since there was a contractual obligation to keep him on staff, he and Lorimar agreed he would not be working on the show, but still receive an executive producer's credit for each episode and $ 25,000 per episode.
When Lorimar called Filerman back to actually work again on the show two years after Earl had left, he had no intention to invite Earl to the 200th episode party.
Filerman was a powerful figure at Lorimar since he was pretty much involved in business decisions for many of Lorimar's shows.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Indeed, Mike Filerman and his cohorts on the executive side of Lorimar selected who should be invited for the 200th episode celebration.

I honestly don't know if it was a deliberate decision not to invite Chao-Li or not, but the fact is that he wasn't invited. Chao-Li told me an my colleagues, and we don't have any reason to believe that this wouldn't be the truth. Chao-Li was a very polite and humble person. I don't know many people who were / are as honest as he was.

Earl wasn't invited either, and the reason was quite obvious. Earl and Filerman never got along, which was the reason why Filerman had to be "bought out" in the first place — as everyone knows by this time (I think), Filerman was removed from his executive producing duties after # 012 <1.12>, but since there was a contractual obligation to keep him on staff, he and Lorimar agreed he would not be working on the show, but still receive an executive producer's credit for each episode and $ 25,000 per episode.
When Lorimar called Filerman back to actually work again on the show two years after Earl had left, he had no intention to invite Earl to the 200th episode party.
Filerman was a powerful figure at Lorimar since he was pretty much involved in business decisions for many of Lorimar's shows.
But because Cesar Romero was invited, he is at an extreme with Ana Alicia. He only appeared in one episode of the eighth and was not thought to return to the series.
I also don't see Margaret Ladd that if she came back at the end of the eighth

Attachments

• party200 - copia.jpg
    party200 - copia.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 18

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
From what I know Margaret was invited. I don't know why she isn't in the picture. Maybe she had a scheduling conflict.

Falcon Crest I

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I heard before about Chao-Li Chi not in attendance at the 200th episode party. I just thought it was a oversight. It was just downright wrong for Earl Hamner not to be there. After all he was the creator.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
I heard before about Chao-Li Chi not in attendance at the 200th episode party. I just thought it was a oversight. It was just downright wrong for Earl Hamner not to be there. After all he was the creator.
Carl Hed Gath was at the party although he had only been since season six and was not listed in the credit titles
Chao li was in the title credits and had been since the pilot episode.. An ugly gesture
And Jane did nothing?
D:\Photo David\Falcon\R & All Cast\1989 02 11 200 programs - copy.jpg

Attachments

• 1989 02 11 200 programas - copia.jpg
    1989 02 11 200 programas - copia.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 18

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if Jane knew who was invited or not. But we should not overestimate the talent's powers. Actors and actresses — even though they might be the leading faces of a series — realistically have not much power in a TV show. It was a blessing that some of the producers at least listened to Jane's creative advice here and there and that they let David get away with his constant change of lines and ad-libbing, but that's not the norm at all. Let's not forget that Jane, despite being disgusted about season 9 and threatening to quit, was not able to prevent the producers from leading the show into this abysmal disaster — I think that says all about her "power".

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
I don't know if Jane knew who was invited or not. But we should not overestimate the talent's powers. Actors and actresses — even though they might be the leading faces of a series — realistically have not much power in a TV show. It was a blessing that some of the producers at least listened to Jane's creative advice here and there and that they let David get away with his constant change of lines and ad-libbing, but that's not the norm at all. Let's not forget that Jane, despite being disgusted about season 9 and threatening to quit, was not able to prevent the producers from leading the show into this abysmal disaster — I think that says all about her "power".
Carl Held was there which was a slight to Chao Li
In the final speech he names Richard and Emma but not his faithful friend.
She demanded that they hire Rod Taylor and cover his studio at Falcon Crest and couldn't get Chao-Li to be invited.
In an interview with Diario 16 - General information newspaper, he commented
"I recognize that I am in such a position that I can send the whole world to ride, if I feel like it, because I have the power and the money to do what I want

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chao Li had a co-star role in the pilot, that continued for a while...then I believe guest star...then he was in the opening credits! Sort of like Howard Morton on Gimme A Break! Such a small part in the Pilot, then guest star, then main cast!

Chao Li is sad in season 9 and explains when they were younger, Angela protected him or something and now she's not there anymore to protect him. It was when she first went into the coma. He told Lance and Pilar. It was a short story of how when they were younger, some kids or such were teasing him or bullying him and she protected him from them or something.