Contracts

Bobby Southworth

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone know how long each actor was offered a contract for on Falcon Crest? I'm assuming, but could be wrong, that most of the main cast of season 1 were offered 7 season deals. I do remember seeing on here that Foxworth only opted for 5. However, so, when David Selby and Ana Alicia joined, did they get offered a 6 season deal to fit with the rest of the cast, or how did that work? Also, Falcon Crest put a lot of people in the credits. How many seasons, for instance was Paul Freeman offered; does anyone know? I know he was written out unexpectedly after episode 19, but what was the original plan? 1 season? 2 seasons? How about Pamela and Greg? Was Pamela also cut short because of the abandoned Nazi plot? Did Greg sign up for 2 seasons only, and only stay for that time? It seems like I've read he chose to leave. Does anyone have any insight on this sort of thing?

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't know too much about who was offered what, but I have often read that Ana Alicia was very smart when it came to her contract, The actors who played Greg and Pamela were let go because Jane Wyman didn't like the one who played Greg and Sarah Douglas made some disparaging remarks on a talk show.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Does anyone know how long each actor was offered a contract for on Falcon Crest? I'm assuming, but could be wrong, that most of the main cast of season 1 were offered 7 season deals. I do remember seeing on here that Foxworth only opted for 5. However, so, when David Selby and Ana Alicia joined, did they get offered a 6 season deal to fit with the rest of the cast, or how did that work? Also, Falcon Crest put a lot of people in the credits. How many seasons, for instance was Paul Freeman offered; does anyone know? I know he was written out unexpectedly after episode 19, but what was the original plan? 1 season? 2 seasons? How about Pamela and Greg? Was Pamela also cut short because of the abandoned Nazi plot? Did Greg sign up for 2 seasons only, and only stay for that time? It seems like I've read he chose to leave. Does anyone have any insight on this sort of thing?
David seems to me that he was offered a contract until the end of the sixth.
Jane Wyman had a contract until the end of the seventh
I know that Greg was fired because Jane didn't like him, I've also read it.
What intrigues me is Anne Archer Casandra Wilder. Was she fired in the middle of the fifth?
When you sign a contract for a television series, if the character does not like her, he can be fired even if the contract is still in force

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know that Greg was fired because Jane didn't like him, I've also read it.
But that's not true. I read an interview with Simon MacCorkindale in which he said he chose to leave because he didn't want to be in the final cast when the show finished, which at the time he thought was gong to be quite soon.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
But that's not true. I read an interview with Simon MacCorkindale in which he said he chose to leave because he didn't want to be in the final cast when the show finished, which at the time he thought was gong to be quite soon.
Well Susan Sullivan also said the same thing. but she got fired from her. She had a shouting match with the producer for that reason
Our sweet Maggie had a lot of character

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In an interview in 2005, Simon MacCorkindale said the following:

Question: Who were your favourite cast members to work with?
Simon: Jane, naturally. I learnt a great deal and loved the fact that she liked the early shift, so I had often finished my day by lunch having played 3 or 4 scenes. Selby was always challenging as was Foxworth. Ana-Alicia was also a joy to play with.

Question: You left after the end of season 5. I was always wondering what the reason was.
Simon:
I thought the show might not survive for more than one more season. I don't now recall on what that perception was based but I certainly felt I didn't want to be in the last cast.

So it seems he had more of a problem with David Selby and Robert Foxworth than with Jane Wyman although relations, either good or bad, with other cast members was not behind the reason for his decision to leave.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
In an interview in 2005, Simon MacCorkindale said the following:

Question: Who were your favourite cast members to work with?
Simon: Jane, naturally. I learnt a great deal and loved the fact that she liked the early shift, so I had often finished my day by lunch having played 3 or 4 scenes. Selby was always challenging as was Foxworth. Ana-Alicia was also a joy to play with.

Question: You left after the end of season 5. I was always wondering what the reason was.
Simon:
I thought the show might not survive for more than one more season. I don't now recall on what that perception was based but I certainly felt I didn't want to be in the last cast.

So it seems he had more of a problem with David Selby and Robert Foxworth than with Jane Wyman although relations, either good or bad, with other cast members was not behind the reason for his decision to leave.
David was a very good actor, he loved acting and he loved his role.
He liked to improvise. I think the challenge refers to the field of acting
In an interview published in Spain Greg commented
David was a charming quiet man, with whom he could talk about many things without realizing that time flew.

Attachments

• Greg Reardon.jpg
    Greg Reardon.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 20

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most contracts depend on the ability of the actor's agent to negotiate, as well. All actors know that despite having a contract, it does not give them true job security; the contract exists solely for the benefit of the producers, so they have that actor "locked in" as long as they need him/her. They can let an actor go when their character is no longer needed, no matter how long their contract was. A good agent can negotiate some better terms, though, like maybe have the actor get paid for the remainder of a season if they're fired mid-season without notice.

Keep in mind that some actors get hired to play a role that the producers know will not last forever, such as a villain who will be killed off in the season-ending cliffhanger, or have a piano fall on them in episode 13. The role is important enough to "lock them in" with a contract, but not a lengthy one; the producers and actor will typically negotiate the length with an eye to how long the plot will last. Many actors (such as the guest stars FC loved to write in and out) did not want to be tied down to a show for years and years, so they would only agree to short-term contracts.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
No wonder Pierce Brosnan was offered the role of James Bond.
The producers thought to cancel Remington Steele but taking advantage of the publicity they did not cancel it and Pierce had to wait a few years to play the role.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Duel of agents?
We commented in another thread that Jane ended her contract at the end of the seventh season. And that she badly changed agents. An agent of many years and friend. It was outdated said Jane
David Selby had Ed Limato from the beginning of his television career, who in the years of Falcon Crest was one of the most powerful agents in Hollywood and also a friend
It was because of David's contract that Jane changed agents. ?
In Lorimar's control groups in the seventh season, fans commented that the only essential characters were Angela and Richard.
At the end of the eighth ONLY Richard was essential for the fans.
Were the fans consulted to remove Richard?
Were both too expensive for a series that was losing audience? .
It was thought to eliminate David by killing him in the seventh and sending him to jail at the end of the eighth
Angela was absent due to money problems.
Harrison was hired with the intention of replacing Richard.? Sharpe would have killed Richard and then Angela would have come back to face him.
This is the cause of the disastrous changes in the scripts of the eighth and ninth
Ed Limato Mel Gibson Dezel Washinton

Attachments

• Ed Limato Mel Gibson Denzel Washinton.jpg
    Ed Limato Mel Gibson Denzel Washinton.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 19

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The plot as it was:
Just as Richard and Laura's marriage was on its last legs, she discovered she was pregnant. As they argued about their predicament, Laura suggested an abortion. Richard slapped her. He immediately regretted it, apologized profusely and tried to explain that when she said "abortion," he immediately thought of their son Jason. The merits of, or the very idea of her having an abortion were never mentioned again. Ultimately, she kept the baby (my namesake) and they tried to make their marriage work, which turned out to be a disaster.

Though I picture this scene as reflective of the era---where they brought up abortion, but almost never went through with it---I always felt that the part where Richard slapped Laura was too much. It would not "play" these days, for sure (even if Laura had not been pregnant). He could express his horror at the idea of aborting their baby in many other, less shocking ways. Slapping Laura that way would be included only if it was intended to be the official end of their marriage, an action that could not be explained away or allowed to pass. Instead, it was just used as a way of telling the audience that Richard was teetering on the brink, and if Laura didn't fall into line as the dutiful wife, there was no telling what he'd do to her. Also, their decision to stay together "for the kids' sake" was very "1980s soap" and modern soap writers don't fall into that storyline trap as often.

Most contracts depend on the ability of the actor's agent to negotiate, as well. All actors know that despite having a contract, it does not give them true job security; the contract exists solely for the benefit of the producers, so they have that actor "locked in" as long as they need him/her. They can let an actor go when their character is no longer needed, no matter how long their contract was. A good agent can negotiate some better terms, though, like maybe have the actor get paid for the remainder of a season if they're fired mid-season without notice.

Keep in mind that some actors get hired to play a role that the producers know will not last forever, such as a villain who will be killed off in the season-ending cliffhanger, or have a piano fall on them in episode 13. The role is important enough to "lock them in" with a contract, but not a lengthy one; the producers and actor will typically negotiate the length with an eye to how long the plot will last. Many actors (such as the guest stars FC loved to write in and out) did not want to be tied down to a show for years and years, so they would only agree to short-term contracts.
However, there are cases such as the one with Ana Alicia in which she was fired, but they had to pay her for the full season. I believe they had to pay her extra when she returned as Melissa's doppelganger, but I could be wrong. I always read Ana was very smart when it came to contracts.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
However, there are cases such as the one with Ana Alicia in which she was fired, but they had to pay her for the full season. I believe they had to pay her extra when she returne
Very good question .
You eliminate a great character with a wonderful story the fight of two lionesses Angela and Melissa for Falcon Crest
And you spend on her and Pilar Ortega's salary
BECAUSE ?

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Duel of agents?
We commented in another thread that Jane ended her contract at the end of the seventh season. And that she badly changed agents. An agent of many years and friend. It was outdated said Jane
David Selby had Ed Limato from the beginning of his television career, who in the years of Falcon Crest was one of the most powerful agents in Hollywood and also a friend
It was because of David's contract that Jane changed agents. ?
In Lorimar's control groups in the seventh season, fans commented that the only essential characters were Angela and Richard.
At the end of the eighth ONLY Richard was essential for the fans.
Were the fans consulted to remove Richard?
Were both too expensive for a series that was losing audience? .
It was thought to eliminate David by killing him in the seventh and sending him to jail at the end of the eighth
Angela was absent due to money problems.
Harrison was hired with the intention of replacing Richard.? Sharpe would have killed Richard and then Angela would have come back to face him.
This is the cause of the disastrous changes in the scripts of the eighth and ninth
Ed Limato Mel Gibson Dezel Washinton
This is what they thought the end of the ninth was
Falcon Crest was still supposed to belong to Michael Sharpe, who had plans to pave it over to turn it into an industrial park. Angela's attempts to get the property back with the help of her family de ella were supposed to be supported by Sydney. Angela and Sydney were to come up with a plan to publicly destroy Michael Sharpe — at the wedding of Sydney and Danny. While Danny was supposed to really love Sydney and have turned against Sharpe, Sydney was supposed to marry him out of convenience only. Although Danny was to know she is not in love with him, he was to agree to the wedding. The ceremony was to be Sharpe's final victory, however as Angela's plan was supposed to backfire. The writers' ideas called for final scenes in the style of "The dfather" movie where Sharpe was to orchestrate the demise of all of his enemies from him during the sacred event of the wedding. He was supposed to destroy them all — to quote the season 9 bible, "whether financially, emotionally, or physically — leaving all of our 'Falcon Crest' characters to pick up the pieces of their lives next season."
Angela relies on a 19-year-old girl to fight Michael, one of the idiocies of the writers of the ninth
And Richard? Had Michael killed him?
Angela's return would have coincided with Richard's death and David's departure from the series.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
I do remember seeing on here that Foxworth only opted for 5
That's right, then I sign a contract for another season. As Jeff Ferlich commented to @TJP. He told him, in front of the entire team, that he was not going to renew Robert's contract. After a strong discussion.
According to what I read in the Dallas forum, Lorimar was not in favor of signing contracts for one year but two. Apparently Victoria Principal commented that she left Dallas because Lorimar wanted to renew for two years and she for one.
I really don't understand why he was renewed at the end of the fifth season. John Saxon commented to @TJP that he earned the same as Jane. He was a difficult actor. If he was shot dead by Jeff Wainwright, they would have been spared the stupid story of abandonment due to Maggie's rape.
The same can be applied to David. He renewed for one more year after the sixth. Kinda silly I guess he would ask for a raise. With Chase dead he was the male lead. In the credit titles he went from fourth place to second.
In an interview David said that he was bored. He would like to leave the series .He had to renew at the end of the seventh. For the eighth and ninth Another salary increase. He had the same agent as Mel Gibson and Richard Gere.
As after the seventh, Jane also renewed. Cast costs rose. That's why there were no guest stars in the eighth
What I don't know is about Susan. She found out that she was not going to be renewed when she read the script for 9-01. Did she have a contract for two years or just one?
How about Pamela and Greg?
Sarah was not in the third season Bible. She didn't have a contract, she was paid by episodes.
In the fourth she did have a contract but also the story of the Nazis ended. She made an inappropriate comment about the actress who played Lorraine. She said Kate Vernon was promiscuous on a TV show.
In this YouTube clip he does not comment on this incident.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Paul Freeman
He had a contract for one season with the option of another season.

Last edited:

Caryscott

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's right, then I sign a contract for another season. As Jeff Ferlich commented to @TJP. He told him, in front of the entire team, that he was not going to renew Robert's contract. After a strong discussion.
According to what I read in the Dallas forum, Lorimar was not in favor of signing contracts for one year but two. Apparently Victoria Principal commented that she left Dallas because Lorimar wanted to renew for two years and she for one.
I really don't understand why he was renewed at the end of the fifth season. John Saxon commented to @TJP that he earned the same as Jane. He was a difficult actor. If he was shot dead by Jeff Wainwright, they would have been spared the stupid story of abandonment due to Maggie's rape.
The same can be applied to David. He renewed for one more year after the sixth. Kinda silly I guess he would ask for a raise. With Chase dead he was the male lead. In the credit titles he went from fourth place to second.
In an interview David said that he was bored. He would like to leave the series .He had to renew at the end of the seventh. For the eighth and ninth Another salary increase. He had the same agent as Mel Gibson and Richard Gere.
As after the seventh, Jane also renewed. Cast costs rose. That's why there were no guest stars in the eighth
What I don't know is about Susan. She found out that she was not going to be renewed when she read the script for 9-01. Did she have a contract for two years or just one?

Sarah was not in the third season Bible. She didn't have a contract, she was paid by episodes.
In the fourth she did have a contract but also the story of the Nazis ended. She made an inappropriate comment about the actress who played Lorraine. She said Kate Vernon was promiscuous on a TV show.

I’m not surprised Sarah was familiar with Jane Wyman she was a very popular star in the UK. She won the Picturegoer Magazine readers poll award as “Best Actress” 3 times for “Johnny Belinda”, “The Blue Veil” and “Magnificent Obsession”. Her films were probably quite popular on television when Sarah was growing up and fondly recalled by her mother’s generation. Wyman was also named Best Actress of 1948 for “Johnny Belinda” by the London Daily Express. She gave the cash prize to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts(RADA). “Zing a Little Zong” reached #10 in the UK in the 50’s.

When she went to the UK to shoot “Stage Fright” in 1949 for Hitchcock she finally got to meet Laurence Olivier whose “Hamlet”won so many awards in the US the year she won for “Johnny Belinda”. She was present when he was given his Academy Award statuettes in London.

Good reminder from someone who was actually there about the nature of the tabloid press in the 80’s. So much misinformation.

Another reliable first hand account of a “Falcon Crest“ costar about Jane Wyman.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Lee Rich president of Lorimar said
The link to the interview Its in Chapter 6 around 10.20 when he talks about Dallas, Knots and FC getting renewed for 9 series: "
I think comes out of the other more positive side of the Lorimar experience was that when Warner Brothers bought Lorimar they inherited a number of serious commitments were you in that when you win then process
It this probably never happened again in the history we had three series on the air at CBS Knots Landing Falcon Crest in Dallas they all came up for renewal at the same time now that wouldn't happen again in a million years and when they came up for renewal I let everyone know that they were available and II even syndicated people came to me and said we'll take the show will take you know the ABC came to me NBC came to me everybody came and CBS knew this so we went in and negotiated with CBS and beside getting great financial help I mean tremendous amounts of money for these three shows they gave us commitments for nine series and that's part of what Warner Brothers inherited that may have even paved the way for a lot of the series that are on the air

Someone said that the series were renegotiated by season.
"So because it this probably never happened again in the history we had three series on the air at CBS Knots Landing Falcon Crest in Dallas they all came up for renewal at the same time"
Every year the renewal of the three series would coincide
It would be in the period 1981 -1989 when the three coincided but on what date?
I mean tremendous amounts of money for these three shows
In the book Prime Time by Joan Collins it is discussed
The chain has said it will pay $20,000 out of pocket the salary of an actor
Elsewhere I read: Donna Reed. The Actress is fired by the Producers after suffering public rejection. However, she denounces Lorimar for breach of contract, asking for her continuity in the Series, or compensation of $7,000,000. Through a contractual clause, the Producers reserve the right to terminate his participation, as long as his salary continues to be paid, so CBS is forced to maintain his contract for 2 more years, at a rate of $17,500 per week...although her character is played again by BBG, now recovered.
Who paid CBS or Lorimar?
1711017617147.jpeg

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Lorimar went to find David in Boston in October 1981 to try to save Flamingo Rosad.
David had one of the most powerful agents in Hollywood as, so he would sign a good contract.
David Selby In a 1984 interview with Tele Guide he commented
"That's why it's a kick to put on a white suit and stand up and be delightfully despicable. In real life, they'd lock you up. On television, they give you SIX FIGURES ?????.
He also commented that his contract ended at the end of the sixth season
Coincidentities Robert Foxwort also ended his one-year contract at the end of the sixth
I guess David would ask for a raise . If he hadn't renewed it Richard would have drowned while rescuing Kevin.
I also read that he renewed for two years at the end of the seventh
In another from 1989
I know where it might seem stupid for an actor, but I'm shy. For years, I didn't even dare to look into in front of a camera! This is what I like to put on so much today: a white tuxedo and playing the megalomaniac. This is my defoument. In reality, they would send you to the asylum for that. To the television, we offer you FEW MILLION DOLLARS’.
@TJP . *We have most of the original cast members' contracts in our archives
You have David's contract from Flamingo Road. And the one of the five seasons. The one from the sixth. And the eighth and ninth

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
@TJP . *We have most of the original cast members' contracts in our archives
You have David's contract from Flamingo Road. And the one of the five seasons. The one from the sixth. And the eighth and ninth

We don't have production documents from "Flamingo Road", so we don't have David's contract from that show.

Neither do we have David's contract for "Falcon Crest". He was not an original cast member.