Coronation Street Corrie

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
12
Actress, Melanie Hill who plays Cathy Mathews is quitting the soap after seven years on the cobbles.
She exited the serial in last night’s episode.

It was a whimper of a departure with her character relocating to nearby Chorlton.

Now that she’s gone, what is the point of keeping Brian in the show?
 

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
12
I just saw on Twitter that today marks 20 years since Bet Lynch’s ill-fated return to the Street, which you can watch in all it’s glory here.

Thanks for posting this.

The brassy, ballsy but ultimately very vulnerable Bet played so superbly by the very able Julie Goodyear is easily my favourite ever character on the cobbles.

It’s a shame that her return in 2002 didn’t work out although she did reprise the role for a few episodes filmed in Blackpool the following year - to date, her final appearance in the show.

I would love it if she could return to Weatherfield one more time, even if it was only for a handful of episodes.
 

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
She exited the serial in last night’s episode.

It was a whimper of a departure with her character relocating to nearby Chorlton.

Now that she’s gone, what is the point of keeping Brian in the show?
Perhaps he will be Rita's side kick a little like Norris, but Barbara Knox is in very few episodes these days. I think the Kabin will be Brian's domain.
 

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Summer Summer Summer I don't care. :rolleyes:

Sad to see the talented Melanie Hill leave. Such a waste, treated badly by CS, they could have made more of the character, I preferred Cathy with Roy. I don't blame her for moving on. CS did the same with Claire King, I remember an interview with Claire and she remarked on how the script writers did not know what to do with her character.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Thanks for posting this.

The brassy, ballsy but ultimately very vulnerable Bet played so superbly by the very able Julie Goodyear is easily my favourite ever character on the cobbles.

It’s a shame that her return in 2002 didn’t work out although she did reprise the role for a few episodes filmed in Blackpool the following year - to date, her final appearance in the show.

I would love it if she could return to Weatherfield one more time, even if it was only for a handful of episodes.
I always thought that there was scope for her to return while Liz was still on the show, as it would’ve been believable for Bet to pop in to visit her friend. Nowadays, there’s unfortunately very little to plausibly draw Bet back to the Street. Even something like a terminally ill Bet returning to bury the hatchet with Rita before she dies, might be stretching it a bit, considering their friendship collapsed 27 years ago now!
 

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
12
I seem to remember that there was also talk, at one point, of Bet returning for old friend, Betty Turpin’s funeral, which would have also been plausible, but in the event, sadly, it never happened.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
I seem to remember that there was also talk, at one point, of Bet returning for old friend, Betty Turpin’s funeral, which would have also been plausible, but in the event, sadly, it never happened.
I remember this too. There was a period when Julie participated in quite a few Corrie documentaries or interviews around anniversaries, as well as the ill fated musical, so she was quite close to the show again for a while but unfortunately no producer saw fit to bring her back, even for a guest stint.
 

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
As much as it annoys me, I accept that when two characters are involved in a story they will meet every few hours in the street, or restaurant or shop, it's lazy writing, but that seems to be the case for all of our soaps right now.


What I don't bloody get is why they need to bring the bins round to the front of the house. Throughout the 60 years, we've been visiting the cobbles, the bins have always been at the back. What do they want the viewers to think? That the residents had wheeled their bins through the house, or they've wheeled them down the ginnel and onto the street?
 

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I haven't seen it for a little while but I assume Roy continues to be one of life's greatest hypocrites. Such wonderful life values.

Honesty - apart from lying to the police to cover up gun crime and murder.
Non violence - apart from beating someone half to death with a cricket bat.
Law and order - assisting suicide then covering it up.
Respect for other people and their space - apart from kidnap and stalking in the early days before he had a personality transplant.
 

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
In recent episodes Rita and Ken hiding behind a pot plant was so funny. More of this please.

Coronation Street this week has seemed more like Summernation Street.
 

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Leanne channelling her inner Pauline Fowler.

Leanne to Toyah: "You're 40, jobless, on bail and kipping in our spare room...why not sort your own life out before trying to fix everyone else's?"
 

Biggie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
4
 
Awards
14
Stella performances in Corrie this week.

Kelly was absolutely magnificent and thoroughly engaging on screen.

Leo, Jenny, Stephen et al.... very entertaining!

Finally Corrie is back on the upward swing of the soap pendulum.... here's hoping.
 

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
I quite enjoyed Friday's episode, completely Ott and unrealistic and more Holyoak's than Coronation Street but I still enjoyed it. I thought both Micky North and Millie Gibson put in a good performance even though the script was lacking.

I liked Evelyn and the charity shop owner with the red coat. You just know that coat was not going to be Hayleys. I did smile at Gail with Stephens wife and the not so posh crisps, and the fish fingers and I howled at David mimicking Stephen.
 
Last edited:

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
5
Sad to see Evelyn gone, but it is only for a short period, loved her having ago at everyone before departing. This Stephen storyline and the CGI effects so not Corrie, the show has lost its soul and with EastEnders being on the up only makes the contrast more noticeable. Sad times to be a Corrie fan
 
Last edited:

Ome

Admin Emeritus
LV
14
 
Awards
32
I’m bored with Stephen, the new Corrie killer.
I’m bored with weak characters Billy and Summer.
I’m bored with the implications of a possible affair between Tim & Aggi.
I’m bored with Stuart’s OTT story.
I’m bored with Maria and her council stuff.
Thank you for the younger characters in Asha, Addi, Nina Max & Amy.

Thank you for Jenny and the brilliant Daisy.

Thank you for the delightful Glenda.

Thank you for Dee Dee Bailey, showing Michael, James & Ed how acting works.

Thank you for getting rid of boring James.

I would normally be thankful of the older characters, but the stuff with Ken, Brian and Mary is beyond ridiculous.
 

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
12
I’m bored with Stephen, the new Corrie killer.
I’m bored with weak characters Billy and Summer.
I’m bored with the implications of a possible affair between Tim & Aggi.
I’m bored with Stuart’s OTT story.
I’m bored with Maria and her council stuff.
Thank you for the younger characters in Asha, Addi, Nina Max & Amy.

Thank you for Jenny and the brilliant Daisy.

Thank you for the delightful Glenda.

Thank you for Dee Dee Bailey, showing Michael, James & Ed how acting works.

Thank you for getting rid of boring James.

I would normally be thankful of the older characters, but the stuff with Ken, Brian and Mary is beyond ridiculous.

I agree with you - the show is going through a “low period” at the moment.

As for boring James, the writers didn’t get rid of him, it was actually the actor’s choice to leave.
 
Last edited:
Top