Dallas Random Thought Thread

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I mean, yes - Holly set SE up, but JR is the one who couldn't keep his pants zipped up. If he had remained faithful, Holly wouldn't have had the opportunity to push SE over the edge.

This is sad to watch, but it gave Linda Gray the opportunity once again to show her amazing skills as an actor.

Think about it like this:
When we watched the early seasons of Dallas, did we ever think we would be rooting for Sue Ellen? Physically trying to protect her? And by physically, I mean truly leaning forward in our chairs, "No! Sue Ellen! Don't push open that door!"

And you all know today is Front End Friday! In honor of Linda Gray's performance, let's dedicate Front End Friday to the camera shot capturing Sue Ellen directly from the front as she sees J.R. with Holly:

Look at how Sue Ellen is framed, Not only filmed from the front, but the lighting comes directly from the front.

There are no shadows. There is no place to hide from the truth.

1715364445145.png

Last edited:

KayLloyd

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And Patrick had some excellent juicy moments in seasons 6 and 7, why did he think he'd do any better? Why was it so awful to earn some good money and some good scenes? I read his explanation and it was all ego. What could have been if Duffy had stayed? He survives the hit-and-run, recovers, and marries Pam.
I agree, it was absolutely ego driven. My sense is that even as buddy-buddy as they say they were, Patrick resented that Larry called all of the shots on the set and having to play second fiddle to him, and he thought that the world was going to be his oyster if he left Dallas.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is sad to watch, but it gave Linda Gray the opportunity once again to show her amazing skills as an actor.

Think about it like this:
When we watched the early seasons of Dallas, did we ever think we would be rooting for Sue Ellen? Physically trying to protect her? And by physically, I mean truly leaning forward in our chairs, "No! Sue Ellen! Don't push open that door!"

And you all know today is Front End Friday! In honor of Linda Gray's performance, let's dedicate Front End Friday to the camera shot capturing Sue Ellen directly from the front as she sees J.R. with Holly:

Look at how Sue Ellen is framed, Not only filmed from the front, but the lighting comes directly from the front.

There are no shadows. There is no place to hide from the truth.

View attachment 52971
The first time I saw this, I was too young to appreciate it. Now though - no matter how many times I watch it knowing exactly what is coming, it breaks my heart every time. Without saying one word, Linda Gray managed to convert how shattered Sue Ellen was. It's this scene when SE overtakes Pam as my most beloved female character in the series.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Excellent observations - but I maintain JR was just as responsible for SE as Holly. I mean, yes - Holly set SE up, but JR is the one who couldn't keep his pants zipped up. If he had remained faithful, Holly wouldn't have had the opportunity to push SE over the edge.
THats true and it made for an outstanding performance by Linda.... Anything to get rid of Holly. Ugh.

The Mickey Trotter storyline hits even harder on re-watch because you know that he's not going to make it.

Another thing we need to acknowledge about this storyline:

Mickey was the only boy who made Lucy truly happy. We never saw Lucy this happy before, and we will not see Lucy this happy again.

Mickey was it for her.
Good point. I dont understand why Lucy wasn't given another good story after this.... Mickey was better than Mitch as he wasn't a liar.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
How did JR immediately know Wes Parmelee when he first saw him? When Miss Ellie addressed the family about him, JR wasn't there. Yes, he worked on the ranch, but other than Ray, Clayton, Miss Ellie and very briefly Bobby, no one in the family met him.

What was he for...?

1715883497799.png

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas Random Thought
Front End Friday!

Some trivia about the license plate. It's not screwed on, it's held on with double sided tape. On the back, the prop department wrote, "Miss Ellie VW Rabbit"

1716006219618.png