Dallas Actors Deborah Rennard Defends Ex-Husband

K

Karin Schill

Hi Everyone,

Apparently the actress who we recognize as "Sly" has gotten a divorce and now her ex-husband and the father of her son is accused of Rape. So she's issued a statement where she supports him:

A STATEMENT FROM AN EX-WIFE

As a woman, and an ex-actress in Hollywood, I have an unwavering support for the brave women, and some men, who
have come forward to speak out against sexual predators in the film business. But even great movements by brave and
sincere people can be used cynically.

I am not courageous. I don’t go out of my way to stick my neck out for others or champion an underdog. That would be
my ex-husband Paul Haggis. In all the years I have known, been married to, worked together with, and been Paul’s ex, I
have never known anyone more generous, caring, or selfless than him. When I met Paul, some 26 years ago, his credit
rating was terrible – because he had co-signed mortgages in order that six of his friends could buy homes. And to a one
they had all defaulted on those loans, bankrupting Paul.

Aghast, I asked how he could have put himself in that kind of position. His response was simple, “they’re my friends
and they needed it”. That is Paul in a nutshell.

When Paul left Scientology in such a bold and vocal way, I didn’t say anything. I didn’t feel comfortable speaking out
or even publicly supporting him, though privately I did. But now Paul’s name is being impugned, and I find I cannot sit
by in silence. I feel a responsibility to stand up for the man who always stands up for others.
In 2010, when Paul was in Haiti right after the earthquake, he discovered there was no free high school for the children
of the slums. Against all odds, he fought tirelessly to fundraise and build one. Today, four thousand of the poorest
children in the western hemisphere are getting a secondary education and the chance to break out of the cycle of poverty
because of him. He resigned from his charity only because of his paramount concern for this organization.
In December of 2017 Paul filed a lawsuit against a woman who had demanded a nine million dollar “settlement” in exchange
for her not going public about her supposed claim. Paul would not negotiate or capitulate. Instead, he went straight
to the District Attorney’s Office – who I understand did not know anything about this woman’s story – and insisted that
they question him in detail. He also filed a suit against the woman for emotional distress. In doing so, Paul was the
one who brought this woman’s accusations out publicly- not the woman, who was demanding millions of dollars in hush
money.

Paul has also categorically denied these new anonymous accusations of violent behavior. I don’t know the women who
are making these allegations against Paul; because they are anonymous. How is it even possible, in America in the year
2018, that someone can destroy another’s reputation and not even have to give their name?

I know Paul. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt and in my heart that he would never have committed any violent acts
against women. I know it because I know his character, and I know these allegations go against the core of who he is.
But then there are also facts that back up my convictions.

At the time of the claimed incident with Ms. Breest in January of 2013, Paul had just had serious back surgery. On
his doctor’s orders, he wore a surgical brace under his shirt through the recovery period. He wore it until his birthday
in March and during that time had to be very careful how he stood or sat. He was no physical condition to restrain a
young woman against her will. Also, the apartment in which he lives, that we used to share, has an elevator door that
opens right into the apartment. All that is required to leave is simply to press the elevator button. No key is
required. Ms. Breest alleges she couldn’t escape from Paul – however anyone can simply walk to the elevator door and push
a button to exit, or walk to either of the fire escape doors, located in both bedrooms.

Then there is the claim by an anonymous woman that, in 1996, she was an in-house publicist working on Paul’s TV show, and
that he allegedly raped her one night late in his office. In 1996 Paul and I were working together on that series. There
was no in-house “publicist” working in our offices – I would know, I had the office adjacent to Paul’s. We frequently
worked late, and I always stayed with Paul and we always left together. Although we were not yet married, we were
living together, and together we would make the half hour drive home. Every morning. Every night.

What I know for a certainty, even in those moments as a wife or ex-wife where I was furious with him at times, is that
Paul is not the type of man who would ever commit an act of violence or aggression against a woman. He has never forced
me to do anything against my will; has never been violent to me, no matter the provocation. This is not a man who has a
“pattern of violence against women” as is so luridly claimed.

And here is what else I know: Paul would use his dying breath defending a friend who was under attack or in need. He always
stands up and fights for what is right, no matter the consequences. And if one of Paul’s friends or family members,
a good acquaintance – or even a stranger – like the homeless man he had move in with him (and me!) after his first marriage
ended – were ever in need, Paul would bend over backwards to help or defend them, because that’s who he is. But who is
the champion for the champion of the underdog? I simply cannot stay quiet and let a good man’s reputation be impugned.
I’ve noticed lately there seems to be a shortage of good men, and I don’t happen to think we have any to spare.

Paul and I had our troubles. If we didn’t we wouldn’t have separated in late 2009, and we wouldn’t have divorced after
that. He has flaws, as do we all, he is by no stretch of the imagination a perfect man. But I know Paul better than just
about anyone on the planet. I have seen him in the best and worst of times, I know who he is inside and out, and I know
he would never use coercion, threats, or violence to have sex with a woman.

Sincerely,
Deborah Rennard
January 10, 2018

Source: http://deadline.com/2018/01/paul-ha...and-rape-allegations-dallas-crash-1202241096/

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A very powerful statement from Deborah, I hadn't realised that she and Paul Higgis were divorced. I'll always remember her joy at the Oscars when she celebrated with him about Crash being named best picture.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
They were both at fan Source in 2008 and got my pics taken with them both, He seemed a very nice guy and was very personable and approachable and sociable.

As a female - im not sure what i believe any more about females/ or so called Victims who come crawling out of the woodwork to destroy the reputation of men and ive siad it on other posts, mud sticks and people will always have that niggling doubt that maybe its true - even if they are found innocent of the charge.

I do think its getting out of hand - and i do appreciate that there are men out there who do carry out such acts and people like pervy Jimmy Saville got away with it for years in UK.

Im not sure what I believe any more - but what a lovely and powerful defence of her former husband

All i think of is who will be next to be named and shamed.................. as it will run and run.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Deborah Rennard said:
When Paul left Scientology in such a bold and vocal way, I didn’t say anything. I didn’t feel comfortable speaking out
or even publicly supporting him, though privately I did. But now Paul’s name is being impugned

Many of the comments below the article suggest a connection between these events.

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's crazy, who is going to be accused next? Its a shame that we have allowed kangaroo courts in mainstream society, I'm not denying that the victims are lying or that some men can be violent, what disturbs the most about all of this is that there hasn't been one bit of focus on child victims in Hollywood, who us championing them?

As a male its gotten to the point where I'm scared to offer my seat on the bus in case I'm accused of sex crimes or misogyny.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
As a male its gotten to the point where I'm scared to offer my seat on the bus in case I'm accused of sex crimes or misogyny.

And thats sad!

I think its got so out of hand and have to be honest - the Hollywood (over paid, haven't done an honest days work for years) diva actresses all wearing black to an awards show! give me strength. My heart bleeds (not)
Plus there is a difference between putting a hand on a knee to forcing someone to have sex but all seem to get lumped together.

My heart would sink if anyone i ever liked, loved, adored was named as an perpetrator.

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And thats sad!

I think its got so out of hand and have to be honest - the Hollywood (over paid, haven't done an honest days work for years) diva actresses all wearing black to an awards show! give me strength. My heart bleeds (not)
Plus there is a difference between putting a hand on a knee to forcing someone to have sex but all seem to get lumped together.

My heart would sink if anyone i ever liked, loved, adored was named as an perpetrator.

I totally agree.

I'm quite disheartened by "liberal" Hollywood now, there's nothing but division and finger pointing to the "evil white, straight, cis male" and I say that as someone who is ethic minority and old school left wing.

Its really sad that people like Corey Feldman is dismissed, even though what he went through had clearly damaged him and his friend Corey Haim.

KayLloyd

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's crazy, who is going to be accused next? Its a shame that we have allowed kangaroo courts in mainstream society, I'm not denying that the victims are lying or that some men can be violent, what disturbs the most about all of this is that there hasn't been one bit of focus on child victims in Hollywood, who us championing them?

Well said, absolutely agree. It strikes me as too scarily similar to the mass hysteria of the Salem witch trials. It may very well be a catastrophic blow to equality for women in the workplace that will take a very long time to recover from. If I were a male employer, there's no way I'd hire any women or want them on any team that I supervise. It's too big of a risk.

There is most definitely a huge difference between pedophiles who molest children and sleazy married men who take advantage of grown 20 something women who know darn well that they aren't being invited up to a hotel room for a game of Scrable and hot cocoa and are willing exchange sexual favors and their dignity for career advancement. I'm inclined to suspect that the actresses who claim that Weinstein raped them are just making up their stories as a cover for their shame over what they allowed themselves to do for their careers and to make themselves look more respectable to the public. Tippi Hedren is an excellent role model, she made the decision that her career wasn't worth her self respect.

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As a male I had changed my behaviour in the way I interact with women at work many years ago. That's not to say I was some rat to women prior to that. My father raised his three boys to always be respectful of and to women. But something has changed in our society where I'm extremely careful what I say and where I say it. Nowadays I'm polite and nothing more. I don't ask, "How was your weekend?", in fear they may retaliate by lodging a complaint that I'm some nosey peerve.

Thank GOD for smartphones and tablets because when I go to the lunch room for my break my eyes are glued to Soapchat rather than engaging in small talk.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series