Desperate to Rewatch Knots!

Lisa H

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a huge Knots fan from back in the day and have the first two seasons on dvd. My husband and I really want to watch the entire series, but don't know where to find them. I'm open to either streaming them or buying the dvds (if there's a reputable seller that people can vouch for). I did an exhaustive Google search and found a lot of sites selling the series, but I don't know who to trust. Then I found this site (and joined today!) and figured that since you are all fans like us, someone would be able to direct me on how to see the episodes. We are so eager to do this and are binging the first two seasons this weekend. If anyone could help us, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I feel your pain. :) It's been decades since I've seen more than a spare episode or two; I'd love to rewatch the whole series to be reminded of all the fine points I've forgotten.

You are wise to be wary of people offering to sell copies of the show, since the legalities of it make me uneasy. The speed and efficiency with which Warner Brothers can have youtube copies of episodes taken down signals to me that they take a very dim view of those who flout intellectual property laws. I think our best hope is that one of these streaming services that keep popping up like weeds lately will buy the rights to the show and re-run it. I think too much time has passed for any of the traditional cable networks to be interested, and the DVD market gets less likely with every year.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The speed and efficiency with which Warner Brothers can have youtube copies of episodes taken down signals to me that they take a very dim view of those who flout intellectual property laws.
Which makes me think they might be saving it for their HBO MAX streaming service starting in May 2020. That's not to say a series like Knots Landing or Dallas will end up on HBO MAX but if WarnerMedia Entertainment had their wits switched on they should do it. And why not? If they are not going to release archived series like the aforementioned on the dying industry of DVD/Blue-ray or syndication it makes perfect commercial sense to offer these on a streaming platform to entice customers. Bring it on.

Fingers crossed​

Last edited:

Lisa H

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I'm hopeful, but I'd really want to watch them sooner rather than later. I've read about a lot of people rewatching them, but I just didn't know how they're doing that. Do they all have VHS copies from back in the day or something along those lines? I'm just kind of at a loss about that. Also, does anyone know why CBS All Access doesn't just stream the show? They show other classic series from the past. I'd pay whatever it takes to re-watch the show.

K

Karin Schill

Welcome to the board @Lisa H :)

When I did my rewatch of Knots Landing in 2017-2018 I watched it mostly on old VHS tapes. Some of them is really crappy quality too so I really wish there would be an official DVD release of season 3-14.

A friend watched the episodes online, as they were up on YouTube around the same time. Unfortunately those episodes has since been taken down. :(

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There was a British channel (called CBS Drama or something like that) airing the reruns a few years ago. I recall several members talking about the episodes that were airing then, and being so envious. :p But like most channels they aired the series twice, maybe three times, then moved on to other things. At 344 episodes, twice or three times is a major undertaking for them.

Lisa H

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Sadly, I think I'm going to have to take my chances on buying the series online. I just don't see any alternative because I don't think any outlet is going to be running the show any time soon. I've revisited this multiple times over the years and think I'm going to have to finally bite the bullet and purchase it.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Dailymotion and Youtube sometimes have the episodes up, I'd almost recommend creating a Google alert for new videos with KL in the title. They get taken down in a flash sometimes and at other times they'll stay up for a few weeks or months and then disappear. There's always the option of asking someone privately how they're watching the episodes if you can see them posting here, sometimes people have their own copies they're willing to share.

As for purchasing from an unofficial seller, I've done it for a few movies and other TV shows that aired 30+ years ago and had no real issues. You're not getting clear DVD quality sometimes and the ethics are questionable re buying from an unofficial seller but you do always have the option of a credit card disputed charge if you don't receive the item.

Lisa H

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago seeing a lot of episodes on Dailymotion, but now there's pretty much only the final season. I will set up an alert, though. Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone to share since I'm so new here, but would welcome it if anyone is willing to! If not, I'll look into buying it. If anyone has purchased from the internet and could recommend a site to me, I'd be very appreciative. Thank you all for your input!

Lisa H

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Also, I'll gladly pay whatever it costs if someone is willing to share.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I remember a few years ago seeing a lot of episodes on Dailymotion, but now there's pretty much only the final season. I will set up an alert, though. Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone to share since I'm so new here, but would welcome it if anyone is willing to! If not, I'll look into buying it. If anyone has purchased from the internet and could recommend a site to me, I'd be very appreciative. Thank you all for your input!

I'll send you a PM :)

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I did a rewatch about a year ago because all the episodes were on Youtube. As mentioned above, they go up and down. It’s really a great show and I hope Warner makes it available on HBO Max.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I bought from season 3 on from a member on this forum years ago. I cant remember who it was now though. I was desperate to see the show and it was the only option. If Warner Bros weren't interested in my money then someone else could have it. The seller sold me the show in two batches as it was expensive including shipping to the UK. And that worked out fine because there were maybe 6 seasons in the first batch so it took me a while to get through them and saved up for the rest of the show. There was an issue with one of the discs being faulty and one was a duplicate and they sent me the correct discs right away and paid postage. I just cant remember who the member was. It was before the site crash too so I cant even find her in my private messages.

CBS Drama reran the show about 3 times around 3 or 4 years ago here in the UK. They were in good picture quality too for such an old show and I remember members on here saying they had been recording the episodes. Those episodes would be in much better quality than the ones I had purchased some years before. My episodes were Soapnet recordings and the picture was often fuzzy and had obnoxious adds and bumpers on the commercial breaks. And on screen pop-ups.

If you are looking for unofficial copies of the show I would suggest you try and find recordings from CBS Drama. But be wary, try and speak to others on here who maybe bought them too and be sure that the members have been on the site a while and seem legit. I wouldn't by from someone who joined last month and had posted 3 times.

Good luck!

KarenJ8

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I ended up buying the whole set from DVD Universe about 2,3 months ago. They're recorded off Soap Net and the site says they pay licensing fees. It's 14 seasons, reunion and Return to the Cul de Sac. I've watched Seasons 3 and 4 and I'm thrilled that I'm able to watch Knots again after so many years!