Jean Harlow: The Original Platinum Blonde

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
i have a copy of Goldie as well (1931) but like you said it's hard to watch i'm waiting for someone to remaster it i really dunno why they haven't yet, maybe they don't know who currently owns it maybe?
I think the copyright on Goldie hasn't been renewed. Probably why it's available on DVD-R. I ought to be receiving a copy in the next few days. The quality is said to be 8/10. I think Jean appears about half an hr in according to the streaming version I saw a while back, but the quality was pitiful.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i'd say the quality was more like 5/10 not 8 and you just may be right my guess they don't know who currently owns it to take a guess

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
i'd say the quality was more like 5/10 not 8 and you just may be right my guess they don't know who currently owns it to take a guess
Just got it. You're right, the quality is 5/10, but it was sent free of charge. Still looking for a good quality version. I love Jean Harlow.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
same here i've seen far worse to be honest, there's a copy of i think it's one of the little tough guys films i think? or maybe one of the dead end kids films that i have where it literally looks like someone was smoking the print cause of the transfer is that bad

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
same here i've seen far worse to be honest, there's a copy of i think it's one of the little tough guys films i think? or maybe one of the dead end kids films that i have where it literally looks like someone was smoking the print cause of the transfer is that bad
Probably a copy of a copy of a 8mm film projected on screen, poorly focused and recorded via camcorder. Like a copy of very poor pirate junk. Jean Harlow deserves so much better and so do we. The search continues...

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
this is true, i'm a gamer and the reason you don't see certain games do remakes or get new ports for older games well i know sometimes there's no audience but that's not always the case, sometimes is they don't know who owns it anymore for example if they want to port it from the PS2 to the PS5 if the company has closed they have no idea who they could pay to use the game? so rather than get into a legal battle they leave the property alone. course that's no doubt like movies as well where they have no idea who owns them anymore or even if they even have rights?? if there is a copywrite i mean and i there is, is it still good? and if the copywrite is still viable and the company is out of business who owns it?

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
this is true, i'm a gamer and the reason you don't see certain games do remakes or get new ports for older games well i know sometimes there's no audience but that's not always the case, sometimes is they don't know who owns it anymore for example if they want to port it from the PS2 to the PS5 if the company has closed they have no idea who they could pay to use the game? so rather than get into a legal battle they leave the property alone. course that's no doubt like movies as well where they have no idea who owns them anymore or even if they even have rights?? if there is a copywrite i mean and i there is, is it still good? and if the copywrite is still viable and the company is out of business who owns it?
The quality of Goldie both streaming and on DVD-R is exactly the same, as said 5/10. There must be something of better quality than this somewhere. It's Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy - movie legends!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
pretty much, what really pisses me off is they remaster The Wizard of Oz (1939) like at least a dozen times why not go for a lesser known film? The Wizard of Oz (1939) did need it at one time if you look at the (1989) VHS copy that transfer is f... terrible but it no longer needs it anymore. Goldie (1931) does

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
pretty much, what really pisses me off is they remaster The Wizard of Oz (1939) like at least a dozen times why not go for a lesser known film? The Wizard of Oz (1939) did need it at one time if you look at the (1989) VHS copy that transfer is f... terrible but it no longer needs it anymore. Goldie (1931) does
I understand that Goldie, is one of the films preserved at: Fox Film
Preserved at the UCLA Film & Television Archive. I've sent them an enquiry about the film.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jean Harlow certainly was a great beauty
Looking back, I'm not sure I agree with this earlier statement of mine any longer. Sure, Harlow was attractive, but I don't think she'd be called a "great beauty", even by 1930s standards. When thumbing through photos of other actresses of the same era, the likes of Dietrich, Garbo, and Crawford were more naturally pretty. Heck, even when made up right, Davis was a quite a looker in her prime.

But, when left to be herself, Harlow was certainly pretty. The more natural photos I've seen of her shows off her more homely attractiveness. Plus, I'd argue she was prettier when MGM finally decided to darken the shade of her hair. Beforehand, she was just a buxom platinum blonde, and the "sexy" angle was amped up more for Pre-Code raunchiness.

1654522242591.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jean has a wonderfully positive effect on me like no other actress from any decade. Jean has given me a whole new lease on life. I love Jean Harlow ❤️
I am glad Harlow's body of work is bringing you so much joy. My interest in Harlow was initiated through Marilyn Monroe, who, as you might know, was a huge fan of Harlow when she was a child in the 1930s. She even copied Harlow's trademark platinum hair color.

I believe the first movie I saw Harlow in was DINNER AT EIGHT, the 1933 dramedy where she plays Kitty Packard, the selfish and adulterous young wife to the roaring Wallace Beery. Harlow and Beery's scenes in that movie are nothing less than spectacular. The two worked together previously in THE SECRET SIX (1931), and would repair two years later in CHINA SEAS (1935). Both those films also featured Clark Gable.

Harlow is truly one of cinema's finest on-screen comediennes. She's right up there with the likes of Carole Lombard and Irene Dunne. Of course, Harlow's sense of comedy was often brassier... well, until MGM decided to soften her "bimbo" image once the Production Code began cracking its whip for Hollywood to clean up their films. Even in her later movies, such as LIBELED LADY (1936) and PERSONAL PROPERTY (1937), Harlow still echoes a fine sense of comedic timing. She was consistently maturing in that genre, and might've even surpassed Lombard and Dunne as the "Queen" of the screwball comedy has she lived longer. She would've definitely found an easier transition into the 1940s at MGM, while the studio's other big-name stars -- Garbo, Crawford, Shearer, and Rainier -- were slowly edged out.

I wish someone out there would do a good restoring of Harlow's films. The 100th anniversary-of-her-birth collection that was ushered out back in 2011 contains some fine films, but the audio and video quality leaves a lot to be desired. In hindsight, I shouldn't be complaining really. Considering the age of Harlow's movies (her "newest" film is SARATOGA, and as of 2022, it is 85 years old), it's quite surprising she even got a box set issued.

Scrolling through these pages dedicated to Harlow gets me sentimental. One of these days in the near future I might just dust off my Harlow DVDs and pop one into my laptop. Perhaps I'll try and introduce my wife to DINNER AT EIGHT or CHINA SEAS.

1654532872793.png

For Harlow to be considered the first sex symbol of the talkies, it's interesting to note that she didn't even want a movie career. Her desire was to marry, settle down, and raise a family. But her mother, the real Jean Harlow, always had ambitions to be a movie star. When "Mama Jean" -- as she was often called -- went to Hollywood in the 1920s, she was casually shown the door. At a time when many mainstream film stars were young girls in their 20s, there wasn't any room for a 30-something trying to find her spot in the sun. Mama Jean later turned her attention towards turning her daughter into an actress. When a teenage Harlean Carpenter finally decided to apply for work as a film extra, she did so under her mother's name -- Jean Harlow. It wasn't until right before her passing in 1937 -- well, maybe two years before -- that Harlow finally started enjoying the career she never even wanted. Many scholars point to her romance with film star William Powell as the turning point in her life to desire a Hollywood career.

1654533111082.png

Another interesting tidbit: Many commentators -- then and now -- found Harlow's mother, the affectionately dubbed Mama Jean, to be more attractive than Jean Harlow herself.​

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
It was my love for Ava Gardner which drew me to Jean. I'd heard Ava's film Mogambo was a remake of Red Dust. I thought it would be a creaky old movie with little to merit it. I bought it on DVD-R not expecting much. It was just curiosity. Then BAM! Jean Harlow appeared and I fell in love. Bit by bit I collected all her films, and most in great quality. The only problem was getting a good quality copy of Goldie. The copy I have is very bad, poor sound and picture. I feel optimistic on finding a good quality copy. My homemade collection amounts to 4 cases, mostly 6 DVD-Rs per case complete with basic artwork, the best I could do.

Each year I create a homemade calendar. This year was Jean's turn. It ain't half bad. It was quite a lot of work to get it just right. My printer died just as I was about to print. The new one turned out to be quite a beast, but I've just about tamed it. The results are pretty much okay...

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Each year I create a homemade calendar. This year was Jean's turn. It ain't half bad. It was quite a lot of work to get it just right. My printer died just as I was about to print. The new one turned out to be quite a beast, but I've just about tamed it. The results are pretty much okay...
I'd love to see the finished product if you feel up to posting it. :)