Locations

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Back to California:

A frantic, drug-addled Lucy rushes off in her sporty new Fiat with a fancy necklace she just bought at The Store in downtown Dallas. Amazingly, she ends up on Sepulveda Boulevard in LA, racing past Apex Aquariums (which is still there with a new awning but the same exact overhead sign) to the pawn shop to get her much-needed pill money.

c3j2BzC.png

9In3rjQ.png
She also goes to the pawn shop at the corner of Sepulveda and Wagner. Bobby was at the same pawn shop five episodes prior to Lucy’s visit!
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
JR Office behind desk.png

You guys are good!

OK. Here's a current view from the selected office building toward the background at JR's desk. Using episode ELECTION, the opening scene has JR/Bobby at JR's desk, with view behind. The building on the left shown with Bobby is the one I couldn't find. The building on the right I think comes up behind JR's head as he's pondering info on Martin Cole. Note the wide concrete strip down the side facing the office. The 5-story building marked by the red arrow may be in the shot too. It looks to me like the one with the purple arrow is also in there behind JR's head. The other mentioned at 2727 Turtle Creek to me does not come into play, unless there is another shot or background I'm not recalling. Glad to know where the smoke stacks were.
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
re: Kristen Affair and kids in the street.

Yeah...I think you came pretty close... :) you can see the radio tower in both, to the right of the Ewing Building, in front of another building.
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Johnmmil10: You are correct! In the early episodes of season two, filming took place in an actual office on Turtle Creek Blvd. The Ewing Office sets replicated the offices including the views out the windows. Glad I am not the only one that studies this kind of thing!

I didn't know this. This is excellent! Thanks!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
View attachment 16488

You guys are good!

OK. Here's a current view from the selected office building toward the background at JR's desk. Using episode ELECTION, the opening scene has JR/Bobby at JR's desk, with view behind. The building on the left shown with Bobby is the one I couldn't find. The building on the right I think comes up behind JR's head as he's pondering info on Martin Cole. Note the wide concrete strip down the side facing the office. The 5-story building marked by the red arrow may be in the shot too. It looks to me like the one with the purple arrow is also in there behind JR's head. The other mentioned at 2727 Turtle Creek to me does not come into play, unless there is another shot or background I'm not recalling. Glad to know where the smoke stacks were.

You are correct about the building you identified on the right.

bobby.PNG Stoneleigh.PNG As for the one beside Bobby, are you talking about this one, Bill? If so, I think it is the Stoneleigh. You have an arrow above it in one of your image above.

2727 Turtle Creek came to mind when I watched one of the earlier episodes of season 2 before they switched to a view of the pained backdrop. It is obstructed by other buildings now, but may not have been when they originally filmed at 3131 Turtle Creek. I have attached an angle that gives a matching view, but from a different angle.
jrs office.PNG2727.PNG
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Do you live in Dallas, or are you like me, just 'over the top' with location stuff?

I live less than an hour from Dallas. I think that may have something to do with my obsession with filming locations. I like to match up what I see on screen with the real-life counterpart. This search sometimes leads me to locations in the Dallas area and sometimes in the Los Angeles area. Sometimes it is easy to find them, but sometimes it is challenging because of the amount of time that has passed or demolition/new construction. Then other times, stock footage is used that could be any place (New Orleans, Oregon, Minneapolis).
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
You are correct about the building you identified on the right.

View attachment 16491 View attachment 16492 As for the one beside Bobby, are you talking about this one, Bill? If so, I think it is the Stoneleigh. You have an arrow above it in one of your image above.

2727 Turtle Creek came to mind when I watched one of the earlier episodes of season 2 before they switched to a view of the pained backdrop. It is obstructed by other buildings now, but may not have been when they originally filmed at 3131 Turtle Creek. I have attached an angle that gives a matching view, but from a different angle.
View attachment 16493View attachment 16494

I am watching season five's Five Dollars a Barrell now and it appears that the same building is now outside of Bobby's office.

WIN_20190526_14_18_04_Pro.jpg
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Stoneleigh and 2727 Turtle Creek

Yep to Stoneleigh. That's definitely the one. I'm sure you're right about 2727 Turtle Creek. And agree about Bobby's backdrop in S5. Above his head, the 2 small windows with the 3rd above match up. Great find! Guess he was demoted to the ground floor.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Do you recognize the apartment at 3618 Gillespie Street in Dallas? I will give you two hints... she didn’t live there long. Also, the address given on the show was different than the actual address I used above.
I'm thinking Jamie. But the corner shot made me think of Swellen's townhome, but it doesn't look right. And I don't think it was Lisa Alden. I just don't recognize the building...guess it didn't catch my interest at the time. But it has now!!! I'll admit...I DON'T KNOW! And that's a tough admission for me on Dallas locations.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
I'm amazed you can match up the buildings with maps, I don't think I'd have the energy. Really cool pictures and info here :)
I'm also surprised they actually filmed indoor office scenes in a real building, I always assumed things like that were sets on TV shows.
Hi MT,

Yeah, I suspected but didn't know early office scenes were actually filmed in an office building north of downtown.

It's not really energy, it's just a point of interest in the show. I lived outside of Dallas for about 9mos during, I'd say, season 4. And I may move back to the area in a few years...not sure yet. So to me it helps me keep ties to the show, the area and memories from when I was living there. And this is a great forum for us share the interest in locations, without, as someone mentioned earlier, being called odd. I just call myself OCD about it.
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
The scene in dvd S2 where Bobby drops early Kristen off to look at architecture. I key off of the two tall angled white towers (behind the glass building only one of which is seen), the tannish building at the end of the street under the pair of red lights, and the brown building to the left. It's Ave of the Stars and Constellation Ave. The scene street sign says Ave of Stars. The brown building on the left was there in the 80's, as the camera pans left. It's all a bit different in the 80's...ya think?

Arch CCity 1.png

Here's a shot from the other direction. Somewhere around here was an outdoor shopping mall where Bobby met Pam the day after Pam moved from JULIES RETURN II and Cliff's framing for murder. I scrolled around and couldn't find that shopping mall.

CCity from Bev Hills.png
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Back to California:

A frantic, drug-addled Lucy rushes off in her sporty new Fiat with a fancy necklace she just bought at The Store in downtown Dallas. Amazingly, she ends up on Sepulveda Boulevard in LA, racing past Apex Aquariums (which is still there with a new awning but the same exact overhead sign) to the pawn shop to get her much-needed pill money.

Just saw the episode where Lucy follows Beam to a clandestine meeting with JR. You can see the blue awning again. Excellent!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I'm thinking Jamie. But the corner shot made me think of Swellen's townhome, but it doesn't look right. And I don't think it was Lisa Alden. I just don't recognize the building...guess it didn't catch my interest at the time. But it has now!!! I'll admit...I DON'T KNOW! And that's a tough admission for me on Dallas locations.
This was the apartment that belonged to Rita Briggs for a very short time. She Ellen got her the apartment, but J.R. got her a ticket to California!
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
The scene in dvd S2 where Bobby drops early Kristen off to look at architecture. I key off of the two tall angled white towers (behind the glass building only one of which is seen), the tannish building at the end of the street under the pair of red lights, and the brown building to the left. It's Ave of the Stars and Constellation Ave. The scene street sign says Ave of Stars. The brown building on the left was there in the 80's, as the camera pans left. It's all a bit different in the 80's...ya think?

View attachment 16504

Here's a shot from the other direction. Somewhere around here was an outdoor shopping mall where Bobby met Pam the day after Pam moved from JULIES RETURN II and Cliff's framing for murder. I scrolled around and couldn't find that shopping mall.

View attachment 16505

I didn’t compare to the specific episode you mentioned, but there was quite a bit of filming that took place at Westfield Century City in season two.

https://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/
This blog has a few entries on how it has changed over time.
 
Top