Locations

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
ah, the days when they'd play the Dallas theme to stock footage of downtown Las Vegas, then Bobby and Pam inside a Dallas hotel pretending to be in Vegas! (with a sneaky Gary #1 following them as they hobnobbed with the titans of the independent oil industry)
I remember that elevator ride well in the lobby. It went up like 20 floors, all open to the lobby, then right through the roof to outside of the building. Was a great experience at night!
 

Piggyrella Sanderson

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
25
I want to know where Jack bought his socks!!
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Found this across the street from Sony Studios..S&W Country Diner. The location is likely near the studio. Don't know if it was Mitzi's, but is similar, tho' updated.
Mitzis.png
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
johnmmil10 said:
But where was it in real life? I assume somewhere in Culver City, but I have been unable to pinpoint it. Up for a challenge?

Yeah..due to the filming of many indoor shots around Culver City, I figured, like Faraday's apt, that it would be close by the studio. I pulled up S & W out of curiousity, not a hunch, and it might be it. From a filming standpoint, it makes sense.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
TV guide cover from 40 years ago.
15814C69-5F0C-4A32-BDBE-4524EF69D477.jpeg

Alternative shot taken during photo shoot shared by Dallas Fanzine.
3C762AFE-DA66-4101-9684-593A219E93CF.jpeg
What’s that thing in the background? That lighthouse looking structure always caught my eye because it isn’t typical on ranches.

Then last week while we were virtually strolling along Potrero Road last week what did I see?

64A1780D-BAC6-4FB2-B41E-16B4A497306F.png

https://goo.gl/maps/Nkk6d9uSsrvHTtrn9

What do you think? I think this could be a match, although from a different angle.

I know we are usually posting things that show up in the program as opposed to advertisements, but I thought it was too neat to pass up!
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Here's a fun Dallas location from Season 1's Black Market Baby: Sue Ellen and Cliff meet for the first time outside Gatsby's Bicycle Bar, at the Statler Hilton on 1914 Commerce St. (the 'bicycle' part was enough to help me find it... apparently more recently there was a swanky nightclub called Gatsby's, which I assume was unrelated)

ILCjebP.png
OeMHjP5.png


Sue Ellen is here to meet mildly shady attorney BJ "Buzz" Connors (no apparent relation to fiery tennis star Jimmy) to discuss adopting the baby of the future wife of George Clooney and Roger Sterling. Cliff just happens be to an acquaintance of Buzz, and had just bumped into him on the street seconds earlier.

the location is mentioned in this fun little NYT article from 1974: https://www.nytimes.com/1974/04/21/archives/dallas.html

"The Statler Hilton, 1914 Commerce, is also a fine downtown hotel with a good restaurant, coffee shop and Gatsby's Bicycle Bar in the lobby."

how times change: "And Alexander's is one of the few restaurants in the city where you can get espresso —one mark of a truly refined restaurant."

I'm tempted to sign up for an account just to see the original article!

r5TtiZc.png


and... available on ebay! Swizzle sticks from the place Cliff and Sue Ellen first met!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ga...hite-Cocktail-Swizzle-Sticks-x2-/253841121584
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
johnmmil10 said:
TV guide cover from 40 years ago.

That's awesome. The roof on the lower structure matches, and is merely a different angle. Makes sense, too...since so much was done around the JMJ ranch. Definitely impressive.
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
I agree. Nice job finding the location for that photo shoot, Johnmil.

@Taylor Bennett Jr. Do you have a recent pic of the sidewalk where you threw the football to Bobby?
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Taylor Bennett Jr. said:
Here's a fun Dallas location from Season 1's Black Market Baby

I may just have to go watch that episode now, what with this and the apt JM10 found. And only $3.99 for the swizel sticks...not a bad deal.

I just found IMDB also has this. I didn't realize it had series locations.

Found this:

Ground level restaurant/bar at the northwest corner of the Statler Hilton. This area was originally a series or retail spaces before being turned into Gatsby's Bicycle Bar in later years.

Gatsbys Dallas.png
 
Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
I may just have to go watch that episode now, what with this and the apt JM10 found. And only $3.99 for the swizel sticks...not a bad deal.

I just found IMDB also has this. I didn't realize it had series locations.

Found this:

Ground level restaurant/bar at the northwest corner of the Statler Hilton. This area was originally a series or retail spaces before being turned into Gatsby's Bicycle Bar in later years.

View attachment 16776

oh wow, I didn't know that about IMDB! And here I was all impressed by my googling skills!
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
I agree. Nice job finding the location for that photo shoot, Johnmil.

@Taylor Bennett Jr. Do you have a recent pic of the sidewalk where you threw the football to Bobby?

I'm not sure where it was, and Dad never told me (Like JR, I'm a 'Junior'!). It's somewhere near an address '3300' and a 'Wilshire Mart', with a cross street beginning with 'C' (but definitely not 3300 Wilshire, which appears to be a church. Interestingly, they found a spot in LA where there was a red awning in the background that says 'Texas' or maybe 'Texaco' - I wonder if they put that there to distract from the palm tree.

rzlmPNd.png

WYzPMiS.png


(the 'Wilshire' sign above Bobby's left shoulder says 'Wilshire Mart', but by the time we see the 'Mart', we no longer have the nice view of the former Texas Longhorns aerial combination.)
 
Last edited:

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
3330 Wilshire is correct.

Bobby is crossing the street in the shot, but it's compressed and I could only tell by a red car as he's crossing. Note the white building columns.

Guzz3.png

Below, see the building columns on the other side of the street he crossed.

Guzz1.png

Below, the building facade in red has 3330 on it.

Guzz2.png

You noted you were looking at 3300, which is the church. Just misplaced digit.
 
Last edited:

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
Nice work Bill!

Maybe the sons of Willie Joe Garr and Jeb Ames will show up and add to the discussions much like Taylor Bennett Junior does.
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
3330 Wilshire is correct.

Bobby is crossing the street in the shot, but it's compressed and I could only tell by a red car as he's crossing. Note the white building columns.

View attachment 16779

Below, see the building columns on the other side of the street he crossed.

View attachment 16777

Below, the building facade in red has 3330 on it.

View attachment 16778

You noted you were looking at 3300, which is the church. Just misplaced digit.

Nice! I guess 3330 had too many 3's for me to process :)
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Interesting tidbit.

Here's Harve's office pic from a previous post.
Harves Office.jpg

Harve's office today, from Google.
Meadows Bldg.png

After a meeting in Harve's office on how to divide up Ewing Oil assets in preparation for the competition, Punk and Ellie exit the building. Thing is, they're walking at the 'striped' building next to Renaissance Tower (Ewing Oil building downtown) that has those large white columns shown.. One Main Place (Cliff at the OLM) is the next block across the street from Renaissance Tower.
Harves w Punk & Ellie.png
 
Top