Locations

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
I'm always amazed at what you guys come up with on here.:hat:

This guy, jm10, has an uncanny knack for finding locations. And he's like a dog with a bone once he starts, and won't let up. I don't know how he got to El Monte. Until he gets back, my guess is he was focused on LA area public buildings and checked 'em one by one. He's relentless.

And you're good yourself, Garry. You added your perspective and saw things here that I had not picked up on during my experience in location hunting, adding to my arsenal. Glad to learn something very useful from you. I look forward to your posts here. Keep checking in.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
To be honest I think I had discounted this location on a previous search due to the building modifications. Slight, but enough to throw me off.

I was checking for buildings that may contain a small courtroom (traffic court, commissioner court, municipal court). I had looked at City Hall, but didn’t find it at that time. I was looking at the main courthouses in LA County. “Driving” around to any side entrances I was actually looking at the main courthouse across the street, and the building across the street caught my eye. A bit of hard work, a bit of luck!

As I was investigating the changes made to the “Braddock” building, the building across the caught my eye and I knew this was a match.

On to the next hunt.
16FAC779-14A3-46B9-9886-C321631466B7.jpeg1C31948F-2AC4-45E7-A55C-EB4549B138FF.jpeg
 

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
What made the time period of early Dallas so great?

Let's look at the pictures that @johnmmil10 posted:


16fac779-14a3-46b9-9886-c321631466b7-jpeg.19461


This Lincoln is all about American Luxury. Now, I realize that this is a limousine, but even pretending that this was a regular length Lincoln like Jock's it mades a bold statement.

Notice the long hood, enclosing the V8 power. And the concealed headlights hinting at the technology found within the car. And the bold, large grill just demanding that the wind move out of the way.

And there are more subtle touches as well. The opera light turn signals just quietly wait for you to notice them, like a subtle perfume on a pretty woman.

American pride in automotive form for sure.

Now, let's look at how things evolved:

1c31948f-2ac4-45e7-a55c-eb4549b138ff-jpeg.19460



These cars just do not have the presence of the Lincoln. There is no bold statement being made.

Let's even look at the truck in the background. It's a nice enough truck, and I'm sure it's very comfortable and gets good mileage. But it's not the truck that you look at across the parking lot and fill up with pride thinking, "That's MY truck!"

Compare it to Ray's truck:
i242723.jpg


Again, this truck makes a statement. Bold, upright grill. Fender flares, upright windshield. If Jock needed a truck to go pick up some hay, you can easily imagine him stepping out of this truck.

Oh, yes! The vehicles back then made a statement about their owners.

I really enjoy when @johnmmil10 , @Bill Dilks , @garry and others take the time to research the filming locations because it is fun to watch the cars at the shooting location back at that time versus the vehicles at the shooting locations now.

So thank you all very much!
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
One more...

In Conundrum Bobby climbs out of window and over the balcony. The house number 256 is visible.

There is no street view available and the house hasn’t sold in a long time so there are no real estate pictures either. A blurry picture from Google Earth is what I am using to match up with.

256 W Stafford is in Thousand Oaks California. Interestingly, this house stands just a few houses down from where @Bill Dilks pinpointed the Mark Graison/Matt Houston home to have been once been located!

FF94B748-F47B-4975-B1C4-051B510B140F.jpeg D663C726-9886-4DAD-8474-BECA129C1B66.jpeg 76412F1D-625B-480E-BFAF-2CC00B635FC3.jpeg C944B01A-89D5-4381-8211-A4BC6824F1CA.jpeg
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
One more...

In Conundrum Bobby climbs out of window and over the balcony. The house number 256 is visible.

There is no street view available and the house hasn’t sold in a long time so there are no real estate pictures either. A blurry picture from Google Earth is what I am using to match up with.

256 W Stafford is in Thousand Oaks California. Interestingly, this house stands just a few houses down from where @Bill Dilks pinpointed the Mark Graison/Matt Houston home to have been once been located!

View attachment 19506 View attachment 19507 View attachment 19504 View attachment 19508
That's great! You're awesome! Along with the Federal Building.

Did they also shoot in the backyard? I don't remember what it looked like. Have to take a look now.

Looks like no. The pools are different in relation to the house.

Conundrum - Bobby by Pool.png Conundrum - actual back yard.png

Next door. On the golf course, including the 1/2 round gazebo.

upload_2020-1-5_19-17-46.png Conundrum - back yard scenes.png
 
Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Just made it through the dream season in this rewatch. Forgot about this scene in S10E02. Bobby choppers (is that a word?) to Navarro to see the explosion. Thankfully the McKinney FD was able to help! Not a specific filming location, but I think it is safe to say this was filmed in McKinney, Texas.

FBA82308-C51A-40C1-83A7-F9BAD8353F61.jpeg
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
In the season nine finale Angelica takes J.R. for a ride at gunpoint. When Angelica is finished talking, he drops her off where a car is waiting for her.
F14661FC-C6B5-44A3-BBD9-84211DCB6BB1.jpeg 65AD954F-9C25-472A-9D67-B32EB59BA5D0.jpeg
This home is located at 123 S Hudson in Los Angeles.

J.R. is then seen pulling away down S. Hudson towards W. 2nd Street.
9E1D1566-C934-472B-A2AD-6B6BA9727344.jpeg 7CDC66D3-59E3-4CC8-8915-83833EC51212.jpeg
The home at the end of the street (5180 W 2nd) as it looks today.

This activity is shown by the red marker in the upper section of the map below. Also marked is 365 S Hudson. You’ll remember this from a few posts ago as the location where Pam and Mark marry in the same episode!
22800E96-348F-49E2-8456-2004884AB797.jpeg
 

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Great finds above, jm10 and mt67. MT, is the top pic and original shot from the show? Looks like it.

Thanks for posting....they're awesome!
 

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Great finds above, jm10 and mt67. MT, is the top pic and original shot from the show? Looks like it.

Thanks for posting....they're awesome!

Yes, I watched the episode last week but can't remember the exact one. I believe it might be A Death in the Family (10x21) but if it's not it's around then when Cliff and Pam are in LA going through Jamie's things after she died.
 

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Wes Parmalee moves out of Southfork and finds himself at a motel (s10E05).

The motel was located at 758 S Central Expressway in Richardson, Texas was demolished somewhere around 2012, but the businesses that we saw across the street (Central Expressway) are still there!

Here, Punk and Miss Ellie pull into the motel to confront Wes.
Capture2.PNG

How those same buildings look today.
Capture3.PNG
 

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Winner
LV
5
 
Awards
12
Wes Parmalee moves out of Southfork and finds himself at a motel (s10E05).

The motel was located at 758 S Central Expressway in Richardson, Texas was demolished somewhere around 2012, but the businesses that we saw across the street (Central Expressway) are still there!

Here, Punk and Miss Ellie pull into the motel to confront Wes.
View attachment 19742

How those same buildings look today.
View attachment 19743

Boxes To Go's website is not too bad! https://www.boxestogo.com/
 

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV
0
 
Awards
3
Wes Parmalee moves out of Southfork and finds himself at a motel (s10E05).

The motel was located at 758 S Central Expressway in Richardson, Texas was demolished somewhere around 2012, but the businesses that we saw across the street (Central Expressway) are still there!

Here, Punk and Miss Ellie pull into the motel to confront Wes.
View attachment 19742






How those same buildings look today.
View attachment 19743
Capture d’écran 2020-01-20 à 08.17.15.png





the Motel in 2011
 
Last edited:

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV
0
 
Awards
3

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
1
April’s apartment was filmed at the Village Lakes apartments (8610 Southwestern in Dallas). Although the angle is slightly off, the building to the right of Cliff is shown in the distance in the second picture.

EDC10841-558B-41B2-89C6-4136830FDE1C.jpeg Capture.JPG

Sorry, @Bill Dilks. I have not been able to locate Afton's apartment yet.
 
Last edited:

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
4
 
Awards
9
I just have to say it again while looking at the pictures that @johnmmil10 posted:

Look at Punk Anderson's Lincoln. The car commands respect. You can picture Punk Anderson, Andy Bradly, Marilee Stone, or Jock Ewing driving this proud American car.
capture2-png.19742



I miss Punk and Jock and their cars.
 
Top