Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV
0
 
Awards
6
Verbotene Liebe ended after 20 years, if we are talking European soaps.

Not bad considering the show it was based on only lasted 6 years in Australia.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
The tabloids are reporting that Fremantle has failed to find a new production partner and the show will definitely end for good this summer. An official announcement will reportedly be made tomorrow (Thursday).
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
An official announcement will reportedly be made tomorrow (Thursday).
Sadly, that's now happened...

BLvrxq.jpg
krTRtC.jpg
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
I haven't watched it in years but it'll be interesting to see who they bring back to mark the show's final months.

Same here. I'm already curious about how it will end and I'm hoping it will come full-circle somehow.


I've read that Harold Bishop and Shane Ramsay have already been confirmed.

Interesting. I'd read about Harold but Shane's a nice, less obvious choice (if he does come back, it would be nice to think he'd somehow have Danny in tow).

I wonder who else is on the producers' radar.
 

Monzo

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
1
 
Awards
9
I'm always torn about how long-running series should end. On the one hand, I like nostalgia, but it's meant to bring back these viewers who left years ago and caused the show to be canceled. Those who are still watching the show are probably more interested in the characters who are currently on air and want to know what happens to them.

Since Neighbors always honored the past, I assume they will do the same in the finale.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
I'm always torn about how long-running series should end. On the one hand, I like nostalgia, but it's meant to bring back these viewers who left years ago and caused the show to be canceled. Those who are still watching the show are probably more interested in the characters who are currently on air and want to know what happens to them.
ER got a nice balance by spreading various cast returns over its final season while continuing to develop new and ongoing stories and characters - so there's a flashback episode to before the show began which establishes a new character's back story by showing them interact with characters who died during the series' run, another old favourite returns as a regular towards the end, while a few more show up for a mini-reunion, etc., so you get little nostalgia fixes along the way without completely drowning in the past. But maybe a hospital setting lends itself more easily to people coming and going than the more domestic world of a soap does.

In the meantime, I expect there'll be a lot of these:

 
Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
The Neighbours superfan who owns both the Robinsons' home and the house where Terri shot Paul is campaigning for the street to be given heritage status.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the street when filming stops. Will it affect the value of the houses? Will it become more or less desirable to live there? I remember Brookside Close ended up derelict and unkempt until it was purchased by a developer and renovated to its former glory (albeit that was a different situation with those houses being used solely for filming inside and out for the run of that series).
 

soapfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV
0
 
Awards
2
I just hope Home And Away is able to sort itself out, otherwise it could end up going the same way as Neighbours. The fact Alf Stewart is the Ken Barlow longest serving character says it all really, a character over 70, the truth is, Home And Away hasn't been the same since Sally Fletcher/Kate Ritchie left around 2009.
 

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV
4
 
Awards
12
I’ve not seen Neighbours in years since it used to pull in 20 million viewers on the BBC but, following this announcement, will now tune in for the finale.

Production on the serial ends on 10th June with the final ever episode scheduled to air on 1st August.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
Top