Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
And there's more

Oh great. It's especially exciting to see two original episode cast members among the returnees.

But...

*****'s a nice, less obvious choice (if he does come back, it would be nice to think he'd somehow have Danny in tow).

Is it too late to campaign for this? Or another appearance from Jim's ghost?
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
I think it would be poetic if a Labrador walked onto Paul Robinson's front lawn, did a turd, and gracefully walked off to the Neigbours theme song and end credits.
 

JamesF

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Awards
3
I think I'm even more impressed with Guy than getting Kylie and Jason back.

I'm a lifetime viewer who has been very conscious of the ups and downs of Neighbours but the past 12 months in particular have been largely excellent. I'll be gutted to say farewell to the show but the cast and crew should be immensely proud of going out with such swagger and cultural impact - it's not the final months of a show that's been limping on life support and ever decreasing story returns; that's how soaps usually end. For that I'm grateful.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Does anyone know definitively how long the final episode will last for?

I’ve heard it said that it will run for 60 minutes.
Australia and the UK are airing it as an hour long “double episode”, which sounds like they’ve been filmed as two single episodes that are just being aired together. Ireland will air them as single episodes. As it happens, Australia will be airing double episodes from mid-June in order to catch up with the UK ahead of the finale. 10 Peach was only airing the show 4 days a week versus the UK’s 5 days, so it had fallen behind. By the time the finale comes, it’ll air on the same day in both Australia and the UK.
 

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
I think I'm even more impressed with Guy than getting Kylie and Jason back.
Me too. Funny, isn't it? It's hard to imagine many other instances of international movie actors or pop icons choosing to return to a funny little teatime show they started out on after so long. It seems very ... Australian.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Australia will be airing double episodes from mid-June in order to catch up with the UK ahead of the finale.

Fourteen year old me cannot get my head around the idea that Australia is now behind the UK. I just couldn't have imagined that would ever be possible.




That's really lovely. I'm so looking forward to the on-screen reunion, but I think the real-life reunion is probably even more fascinating. I hope there's some behind the scenes footage of this event. Perhaps a little documentary or retrospective.
 

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Star
LV
3
 
Awards
7
Fourteen year old me cannot get my head around the idea that Australia is now behind the UK. I just couldn't have imagined that would ever be possible.
I know! Behind Ireland too from what I can gather. Australia was also behind Ireland (and I think the UK) with The Heights while Ireland was premiering episodes of Out of The Blue ahead of BBC back in the 00’s. Just examples of the intricacies of international sales deals I suppose.
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
Poor Hendrix dies not long after getting his lung transplant because of complications.

God Bless Him, yeah I know it's only a soap.

Happens either this week or the following week. :(
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
A nice, chatty, lengthy interview with "Mike not-so-Young" himself, with a few little titbits about it all. Kate Winslet is "literally wetting herself" over his return. Who'd have thought?


Guy Pearce said:
I think Des received a phone call back in about, you know, late 1989 saying: "What? You're moving to Perth? You're gonna become a teacher in Perth and you're never coming back? OK. Seeya later. That's a shame. Bye."
 

Jock Og

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV
13
 
Awards
36
Everybody needs good neighbours, just a friendly wave each morining .............. to infinity. Nothing goes on indefinitely and so those residents of the infamous Australian cul-de-sac have pulled down the curtain. There is no more Paul Robinson; Jane, Toady, Clive, Glen and of course the memories of Madge; Nell Mangel, Harold, Lou, Scott et. al. All the best to everyone involved with NEiGHBOURS. You never know the 'Good Days' just might come back. There could always be a reunion DALLAS or DYNASTY style. The cars turning in Ramsay Street and then Madge appears. Harold!


The original version of the theme tune takes some beating, followed by the envelope years.
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Studio Ten has a Celebrating Neighbours playlist featuring interviews with cast old and new about the series ending, as well as behind-the-scenes looks, retrospectives and teasers.

I haven't watched all the videos yet, but the few I've seen suggest it's well worth exploring if you're feeling nostalgic (and isn't everyone at the moment?).
 

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV
7
 
Awards
15
Everybody needs good neighbours, just a friendly wave each morining .............. to infinity. Nothing goes on indefinitely and so those residents of the infamous Australian cul-de-sac have pulled down the curtain. There is no more Paul Robinson; Jane, Toady, Clive, Glen and of course the memories of Madge; Nell Mangel, Harold, Lou, Scott et. al. All the best to everyone involved with NEiGHBOURS. You never know the 'Good Days' just might come back. There could always be a reunion DALLAS or DYNASTY style. The cars turning in Ramsay Street and then Madge appears. Harold!


The original version of the theme tune takes some beating, followed by the envelope years.

There is a possibility that it could be revived further down the line.

Channel 5 do have a deal for more Australian content so perhaps we might get a reboot of Return To Eden along with more original drama content.

Return To Eden logo.jpg
 
Top