Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
As Susan told soap opera in 2001
"SUSAN: I think that what really happened was that my contract was up and I think they decided that perhaps they could pump some new life into the show. So they brought in Gregory Harrison and took the show in a whole new direction"
They fired her and with that money they will pay Gregory Harrison
Gregory had been hired by Lorimar to play a comedy Family Man that had been postponed for a year. To avoid paying him to do nothing they put him in Falcon Crest
In my opinion, with Angela being sick, losing Susan was a tremendous mistake.
Family Man premiered the following year and was a failure. It only took one year
1703065751680.jpeg

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I actually never liked Gregory Harrison more than on Falcon Crest, I found him pretty annoying on his breakthrough Trapper John MD, but I still prefer Susan Sullivan over him and every other new cast member in season 9.

I'm not sure, but didn't Gregory Harrison have an exclusive contract with CBS anyway and so he had to be used for one of the CBS shows?!? Personally, I would have found him more interesting on Dallas season 13 than on Falcon Crest season 9, but without Michael Sharpe, season 9 would probably have been significantly worse.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
I actually never liked Gregory Harrison more than on Falcon Crest, I found him pretty annoying on his breakthrough Trapper John MD, but I still prefer Susan Sullivan over him and every other new cast member in season 9.

I'm not sure, but didn't Gregory Harrison have an exclusive contract with CBS anyway and so he had to be used for one of the CBS shows?!? Personally, I would have found him more interesting on Dallas season 13 than on Falcon Crest season 9, but without Michael Sharpe, season 9 would probably have been significantly worse.
It wasn't with Lorimar for family man
The problem is that it was expensive although Susan's salary hired Gregory Harrison, Wendy Philips and Andra Thomson

Arlene Halloran

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As Susan told soap opera in 2001
"SUSAN: I think that what really happened was that my contract was up and I think they decided that perhaps they could pump some new life into the show. So they brought in Gregory Harrison and took the show in a whole new direction"
They fired her and with that money they will pay Gregory Harrison
Gregory had been hired by Lorimar to play a comedy Family Man that had been postponed for a year. To avoid paying him to do nothing they put him in Falcon Crest
In my opinion, with Angela being sick, losing Susan was a tremendous mistake.
Family Man premiered the following year and was a failure. It only took one year
View attachment 49859
There is no contest, in my opinion. Susan Sullivan every time.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot

Jerry Thorpe, the producer of the ninth season announced that to redress declining ratings, he was going to transform this saga into a soap opera "located somewhere between 'Wiseguy and Miami Vice'
That Michael Sharpe was a gangster or a drug dealer?
Michael never seemed like a financial genius to me.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
He was going to transform this saga into a soap opera "located somewhere between 'A Cop in the Mafia' and 'Miami Vice'
Is "A Cop in the Mafia" actually "Wiseguy"?

"Miami Vice" was like FC in ratings trouble and was canceled at the same time as FC and "Wiseguy" was never a ratings smash, so if Jerry Thorpe really made that statement then sorry, he had no idea what was really successful in the drama field in 1988/ 89. "Murder, She Wrote" and "Matlock" were strong dramas, but with Jane Wyman not really available, they couldn't have gone in this direction of the older lead character fighting for justice. "L.A. Law" was also successful, but how were they supposed to turn FC into "L.A. Law"?

Maybe with Angela and Maggie out and Richard being in prison (off-screen to save money) Falcon Crest could have been turned into an exclusive hotel that Lance and Pilar run next to the winery. Chao-Li could have directed the staff, Emma could have been the senior housekeeper. Since Falcon Crest loved guest stars anyway, there could have been guest stars as hotel guests every week.

Last edited:

WarriorsFan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bad Boys
Is "A Cop in the Mafia" actually "Wiseguy"?

"Miami Vice" was like FC in ratings trouble and was canceled at the same time as FC and "Wiseguy" was never a ratings smash, so if Jerry Thorpe really made that statement then sorry, he had no idea what was really successful in the drama field in 1988/ 89. "Murder, She Wrote" and "Matlock" were strong dramas, but with Jane Wyman not really available, they couldn't have gone in this direction of the older lead character fighting for justice. "L.A. Law" was also successful, but how were they supposed to turn FC into "L.A. Law"?
Miami Vice ended in the 1988/1989 season, as did Simon & Simon, The Equalizer, Moonlighting, Dynasty, Highway to Heaven.

At the start of the 1989/1990 season, dramas were not looking good. Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest were the oldest dramas and were declining. Murder She Wrote, Matlock, L.A. Law, In the Heat of the Night, Hunter were decent in the ratings. MacGyver, Beauty and the Beast, Jake and the Fatman, Tour of Duty, Wiseguy weren't really successful in the ratings. Thirtysomething and China Beach were critically acclaimed but that didn't lead to successful ratings.

One would think a producer would be up to date on what was happening in television, but apparently this one wasn't.

Maybe with Angela and Maggie out and Richard being in prison (off-screen to save money) Falcon Crest could have been turned into an exclusive hotel that Lance and Pilar run next to the winery. Chao-Li could have directed the staff, Emma could have been the senior housekeeper. Since Falcon Crest loved guest stars anyway, there could have been guest stars as hotel guests every week.

Remake Hotel and risk a lawsuit from Aaron Spelling.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gregory Harrison gets my vote. Not especially because of the actor himself but I just can't picture Maggie doing those scenes with Genele.
Flawed as it may be, I like to look at the things that actually worked in this revamp season.
And the first thing he does is stripping off his fireman gear.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
One would think a producer would be up to date on what was happening in television, but apparently this one wasn't.
The problem is that I didn't even know it was Falcon Crest.
What happened to the New Globe?
In the era of comedies, almost all the characters that appeared in the opening credits looked sad. They didn't have faces of drama but of tragedy.
By the way, it was Jerry Thorpe's last series as a producer.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Gregory Harrison gets my vote. Not especially because of the actor himself but I just can't picture Maggie doing those scenes with Genele.
Flawed as it may be, I like to look at the things that actually worked in this revamp season.

Genele could have had scenes with Lance

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
It was Kevin Spacey, he was an arms dealer. His sister was very attractive
Starring Ken Wahl as Vinnie Terranova, a cop working undercover as a criminal enforcer, the series introduced Spacey as part of an incestuous brother-and-sister team
1703245151700.jpeg

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The season 9 producers apparently had a preference for abnormal sexuality.

Sharpe's incestuous behavior was disgusting.

The season 9 bible also planned for Ian to be impotent, which is why he never touched his underage wife (except slapping her). Not everything the bible suggested became part of the final version, and a lot in that context was more hinted than executed on screen, for example that he got a kick out of being spanked by Sydney, which was meant to be a compensation for his inability to orgasm.

I think at least some of the season 9 producers had somewhat perverted fantasies they tried to put into the scripts.

CBS was usually very rigid as far as sexual content was concerned. I think the CBS executives intervened, or else we would have gotten even more of that trash on screen.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
The season 9 producers apparently had a preference for abnormal sexuality.

Sharpe's incestuous behavior was disgusting.

The season 9 bible also planned for Ian to be impotent, which is why he never touched his underage wife (except slapping her). Not everything the bible suggested became part of the final version, and a lot in that context was more hinted than executed on screen, for example that he got a kick out of being spanked by Sydney, which was meant to be a compensation for his inability to orgasm.

I think at least some of the season 9 producers had somewhat perverted fantasies they tried to put into the scripts.

CBS was usually very rigid as far as sexual content was concerned. I think the CBS executives intervened, or else we would have gotten even more of that trash on screen.
Those stories were suitable for Wiseguy, starring criminal gangsters and with other actors.
We don't believe Genele madly in love with Rod Tatyor, nor Sharpe in love with Wendy Philips

Walker
Richard knows that you only want to sleep with him because you can't sleep with your brother

Sharpe
You know something. You know what I used to wish when we were teenagers. Sometimes I wished that we weren't brothers. You know, that we were adoptive children. different homes that live in the same house that fate wanted us to meet
Sharpe
Whatever you want me to do, I will do it. Don't abandon me because you don't see how much I love you. I see it Michael I'm your sister
Lauren
I'm your sister you can't have me

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
This is a chat from 2001 with Gregory Harrison
How did you like portraying Michael Sharpe?
I gotta tell you, Michael Sharpe was a real weird experience for me. I had just finished up Trapper John [a few] years before, so I was used to playing a good guy
He was a very nice guy I think! And then Michael Sharpe!
id you enjoy your time with the Fc cast?
Yes and no. There were a lot of problems because of Jane's health, and she was unhappy with the show, and things just weren't very positive backstage
But my relationships with the people were great.
And David [Selby] and I have run into each other on the theatre circuit
What did you personally think of the kind of relationship Michael had with his sister.?
I knew that was coming! Wendy and I never really understood it, to be honest, so I just tried to play it the way it was written
We had a team of writers that season that I understand were kinda new, and we never saw them, so there wasn't [much of a] chance to get explanations
Here we all feel the new writers didn't understand Falcon Crest
That must have been difficult...
Most fans tend to react negatively to those last few seasons,
.Because of the writer change. It was very strange!
Did you watch the show before you started playing Michael Sharpe
Believe me, we felt it. I can remember the oodles of fan mail that was just utterly crucifying us for what was happening, but what people didn't understand was that we were just there doing our jobs. We're actors, we're paid to perform the scripts we get.
I had watched it on occasion, but I wouldn't say I was a regular viewer. I watched about the last 10 episodes of the season before I started so I'd be familiar with characters and things
Was it hard to jump into a show that was so established, and where you were portraying the new 'bad guy' besides?
It was hard because there was such a feeling of negativity going on backstage, and here I was jumping into this boat and the show's heroine dies in the same episode.
The fan reaction to the show was the hardest
I can imagine - that was quite a tumultous time!
And especially when Susan Sullivan left. I never got much chance to work with Susan, but I understood real quick that the audience loved her
Okay. I only seem to catch you in 'baddie' roles. Do you prefer playing good or bad?
Bad is more fun artistically, I guess. Playing good all the time is boring. I was so glad when Trapper John went off the air
I was getting a little tired of playing Goody Gonzo.
But, to be honest, too much of one or the other is boring. I prefer, as an actor, to play roles that are a little meatier, that have some depth and substance
When did you get the rôle of Michael Sharpe? Did they hire you during the show was on hiatus after season 8? And who came up with the idea of your character?
And I'm working with Columbia Television on a new pilot for a courtroom drama we're hoping to shop to the networks
That sounds interesting. Will the pilot be airing this year in the U.S.?
Harrison I was hired before the season ended. When Warner Bros approached me, they told me they wanted a ruthless playboy with a heart of stone. I think that's what I gave them. The show with Columbia is still in pre-production. We haven't actually filmed the pilot yet.
How did you personally feel about Michael Sharpe? And how much of you did you put into his character?
Harrison If I just met Michael Sharpe, I certainly wouldn't want to have a beer with him, so I guess you could say I didn't much like him.
And I'd like to think that whatever I used from myself for the character is a part of me that is well hidden from the worldHow did you like the work with the FC-saff?
Like I mentioned before, I really enjoyed all of the cast. The people were great, but it was such a tough time because of all the backstage turmoil
When Lauren married Richard, do you believe Michael and Richard kissed and made up? Or would the hostilty still continue if there had been a season 10
Kissed and made up? No way. The way they wrote them, I couldn't see them being buddy buddy if there had been another season.
So the writers were trying to write some closure for Michael and Richard, I think

t was really a pleasure to have met you

- thank you It's been my pleasure.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Jerry Thorpe, the producer of the ninth season announced that to redress declining ratings, he was going to transform this saga into a soap opera "located somewhere between 'Wiseguy and Miami Vice'
That Michael Sharpe was a gangster or a drug dealer?
Michael never seemed like a financial genius to me.
Lorimar decided to bring Gregory in so as not to pay him after canceling Family Man
And that's why it was decided to hire Thorpe and Suenow so that Michael Sharpe would fit in.
Sharpe would have been perfect as a mobster in the 1920s when Prohibition
Thorpe became famous for The Untouchables is an American crime drama that ran from 1959 to 1963 on the ABC television network it fictionalizes the experiences of Ness as a Prohibition agent fighting crime in Chicago in the 1930s with the help of a special team of agents handpicked for their courage, moral character and incorruptibility , nicknamed the Untouchables
But he had to do 'Wiseguy and Miami Vice with Falcon Crest
Tuscany and Miami. And Angela, Richard Pilar and Richard with criminal gangsters
As David Selby commented to TJP
They brought in another new character, Sharpe or whatever — he had nothing to do with the show. That was not the tenor of Falcon Crest.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Did you watch the show before you started playing Michael Sharpe
Believe me, we felt it. I can remember the oodles of fan mail THAT WAS JUST UTTERLY CRUCIFYING US FOR WHAT WAS HAPPENING, BUT WHAT PEOPLE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WAS THAT WE WERE JUST THERE DOING OUR JOBS. We're actors, we're paid to perform the scripts we get.
It was hard because there was such a feeling of negativity going on backstage, and here I was jumping into this boat and the show's heroine dies in the same episode.
Apparently Sharpe didn't have much success.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot

But he stays in his shirt and pants.
At Falcon Crest we saw him many times in a T-shirt showing off his muscles.

Attachments

• Michael Sharpe.jpg
    Michael Sharpe.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 27

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Filerman, the producer of the eighth and part of the first, commented
He explained that Lorimar hired Joel Surnow for the next season, nowadays the producer of 24. Michael Filerman left no doubt he did not agree with yet another new direction of Falcon Crest in season 9. “It had nothing to do with the show!” he exclaimed and stated he had watched a few epi- sodes, but lost interest completely. He explained that no one from his season 8 writing and producing staff stayed except Phil Parslow, the line producer, and Joanne Brough.
Then, he came back to season 9: “And I think killing Susan [Sullivan’s character] was fatal.” He compared Maggie with Karen McKenzie from Knots Landing and Pamela Ewing from Dallas: “She is the center. The center was not Jane. She [Maggie] is the one we identify with. She is the protagonist, Jane [Angela] is the antagonist
Susan would have made up for Jane's absence
1703763436606.jpeg

This is the announcement of the first episode of the ninth ONLY MEN and Jane is not listed

Last edited: