Russia begins the invasion

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards

First casualties reported as Putin launches full-scale invasion​

Video footage indicates that Russian rockets have hit population centres in major Ukrainian cities despite claims by the Russian military that it is only targeting military infrastructure.

Putin warns the world that if anyone tries to stop him, they will see concequeses the world has never seen before. Of course, we're all thinking nuclear weapon.

Let's see, who are Putin's friends now again. Iran & China for example.

Yeah, this is turning quite scary.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
His friends are Donald Trump who has consistently defended and praised Putin and Boris Johnson whose Conservative Party has taken millions of pounds from close friends and allies of Putin.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones

First casualties reported as Putin launches full-scale invasion​

Video footage indicates that Russian rockets have hit population centres in major Ukrainian cities despite claims by the Russian military that it is only targeting military infrastructure.

Putin warns the world that if anyone tries to stop him, they will see concequeses the world has never seen before. Of course, we're all thinking nuclear weapon.

Yeah, this is turning quite scary.
I think that we should all be praying for the people of the Ukraine, and that we should express our support for these people

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think that we should all be praying for the people of the Ukraine, and that we should express our support for these people

They need much more than that. But they won't get it. If they ask NATO & EU to join the war against Russia, the reply will be "no". All NATO and EU will do is to freeze Russia out economically. Small comfort for Ukraine.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes. Moldova is by a long way the poorest country in Europe and has already said they are ready and willing to accept Ukrainian refugees which this conflict will inevitably create. All European countries should be doing the same.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Putin has been quite successful in his disinformation to Russians. A Swedish correspondant in Moscow walked around asking the people their opinions of what is happening right now. Some said they think Putin is a dangerous lunatic, but others are believing Putin's lies. One woman said that "since Ukraine has been threatening Russia, it's the right call to defend Russia by a couple of well placed bombs. Things are going according to plan". Another said it's right to take back areas from Ukraine that belongs to Russia.

:fp:

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's all very eerie and scary to watch.

A conflict with state of the art weapons, huge fire power, tanks - the invasion of a European country is something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Putin is a madman, god only knows what he's capable of.

As for the UK, the EU and the U.S, they won't do anything other than financial sanctions. You have to feel so sorry for the people in Ukraine.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
With everyone, understandably, is watching Russia & Ukraine - I wonder if we will forget to keep track of what's going on elsewhere. The Taliban regime in Afghanistan. The terrorist groups and their goal of taking Syria, Iraq and other countries. China's dictator Xi becoming more and more like Putin. Turkey's Erdogan. Brazil's Bolsonaro. Etc. Etc. And we'd better not forget the pandemic or the climate changes.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
With everyone, understandably, is watching Russia & Ukraine - I wonder if we will forget to keep track of what's going on elsewhere. The Taliban regime in Afghanistan. The terrorist groups and their goal of taking Syria, Iraq and other countries. China's dictator Xi becoming more and more like Putin. Turkey's Erdogan. Brazil's Bolsonaro. Etc. Etc. And we'd better not forget the pandemic or the climate changes.
Your general point is a good one.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is rightly being condemned by many countries however, many of those same countries condone or even defend Israel's illegal invasion and annexation of Palestine. They would have more credibility if they were consistent in their approach to these matters.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
They need much more than that. But they won't get it. If they ask NATO & EU to join the war against Russia, the reply will be "no". All NATO and EU will do is to freeze Russia out economically. Small comfort for Ukraine.
You are correct. I wish I knew a better answer

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Your general point is a good one.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is rightly being condemned by many countries however, many of those same countries condone or even defend Israel's illegal invasion and annexation of Palestine. They would have more credibility if they were consistent in their approach to these matters.

Proud that Sweden is not one of them. We've recognized the state of Palestine.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
You are correct there are multiple events that need our attention.
If people ignore these events, the results will be catastrophic.
Do the leaders of the free world have the will and the ability to stand up against these horrors?
I wish that I could be more optimistic

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In a perfect world, we wake up tomorrow to the news that Putin was assassinated by his own military.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Russia has taken Chernobyl. A perfect "safe place" considering it's extremely unwise to shoot or bomb there.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Russia has taken Chernobyl. A perfect "safe place" considering it's extremely unwise to shoot or bomb there.
Newsagencies here said that radioactivity is already slightly rising in that area, so who knows what the heck they are doing there. That could become a very dangerous threat to whole Europe, if Putin decides to do something stupid there, if European Gouvernments won't do, what he wants... :(

I really hope this is not the beginning of something globally very bad, where everyone can only lose...

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was listening to an interesting conversation on the radio the other day. A legal expert with an interest in international matters suggested because Russia has invaded without provocation then Putin could technically be tried at Hague for War Crimes. As if that would happen. Meanwhile over at the U.N. another emergency council meeting has commenced...headed by Russia...laughable.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
It can be argued that there is only one sanction that may be effective, but the western world is reluctant to impose it.
I have attached the link

I have been researching the history of Russia/Ukraine and the dynamics that are at work.
I have strong opinions on the causes and (lack of) reaction to recent events, and how previous western leaders(post WW2 - 1990's) would have
been more effective and more proactive in dealing with this crisis.

However, I will urge people to keep informed about these events, offer prayers and support for the Ukrainian people,
and remember the lessons of history, especially in the 20th century, about the staggering consequences
of ignoring/appeasing tyrants.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
It can be argued that there is only one sanction that may be effective, but the western world is reluctant to impose it.
I have attached the link

I have been researching the history of Russia/Ukraine and the dynamics that are at work.
I have strong opinions on the causes and (lack of) reaction to recent events, and how previous western leaders(post WW2 - 1990's) would have
been more effective and more proactive in dealing with this crisis.

However, I will urge people to keep informed about these events, offer prayers and support for the Ukrainian people,
and remember the lessons of history, especially in the 20th century, about the staggering consequences
of ignoring/appeasing tyrants.

I'm not so sure. Russia have there own system, SPFS, to carry out digital transactions which they would adopt more widely if they weren't allowed to use SWIFT. China, India and quite a few other major economies are already linked up to it. Denying Russia access to SWIFT would be damaging for the Russian economy but it wouldn't be as fatal as some commentators seem to be suggesting.