Which means I can now veer directly into the series proper of
Porridge for the very first time.
Despite airing seventeen months after
Prisoner and Escort, the series picks up immediately following it with Fletch being admitted/inducted and meeting his new wing-mates. I was expecting this aspect to be a little jarring after the reasonably quiet three-hander that preceded it, but it's very carefully done. Four episodes in I feel we're
still easing into the broader cast, with new faces in each episode. In addition to Fletch, Barrowclough and Mckay, the first episode introduced the governor and just two other prisoners: Godber and Heslop.
Naïve young first-time prisoner Godber serves an important function in this and other early episodes. In addition to being a kind of straight man to Fletch, we're also introduced to prison life through his eyes. Whereas experienced Fletch flips back into prison mode immediately, it's Godber who experiences the ups and the downs, from the isolation of night-time lockup to going without sex to the excitement of digging a trench outdoors. In many ways he's the heart of the series and the one who grounds it in reality. Some of his reflections have been quite touching.
Heslop is at the other end of the scale: slow-witted to the point of caricature. I'm a bit thrown by seeing Brian Glover in this kind of role since I associate him with threatening hardman type roles, and there's something about him even in this role that I find very discomfiting.
Familiar faces in the second regular episodes came with Biggins (last seen with Barker in
Spanner's Eleven) and two famous scousers - Ken Jones and Ray Dunbobbin. Except the latter - who will forever be
Brookie's Ralph to me - is using a dodgy Welsh accent as Evans, a prisoner who self-harms by eating lightbulbs and mirrors. Meanwhile, frequent Ronnies collaborator Johnnie Wade (best known to me from
You're Only Young Twice) appeared as Scrounger to join them for
A Day Out.
Looking at the series visually I can understand why it never appealed to me when I was young. As you'd expect, the aesthetics feature lots of brick walls painted in neutral and dark colours and clanging metal doors and walkways. It's no doubt authentic and quite atmospheric, but by its nature it's cold, grim and oppressive and most unwelcoming.
The warmth, of course, comes from the writing. I'm impressed by the balance between character and situation in the writing and both are well utilised in the stories, with the gambling and chain gang episodes slightly heavier on situational comedy while
A Night In gave us a lot of lovely, little character moments with much of the episode being a simple conversation between Fletch and Godber during lockup, which gave the episode an appealing play-like quality.
With this series it feels very much as though the Devil's in the detail. It's in the craftsmanship of the writing and it's certainly in the performances. There's a lovely, small moment in
A Night In where Fletch and Godber are chatting and Fletch sits on Godber's bed with chocolate and offers some of it to Godber. Considering what we know of prison life so far, and of Fletch's tendency to be one of life's takers (pocketing Godber's fags at every opportunity, swiping supplies from the kitchen) it feels very significant and one gets a real sense of their bonding. Another wonderfully subtle little physical comical moment comes during one of Mackay's tirades where as he finishes, he briefly juts his head forward and back again. Fletch has anticipated this and does exactly the same movement at the same time, facing Mackay but slightly off to the side so they appear to almost collide (this also means Mackay doesn't see). It's really funny and it also feels very truthful.
I'm really looking forward to continuing with this series.