The Loretta Young Thread

Johnrich2002

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Shaun of the dead
That doesn't look like Robert Taylor and her hairstyle looks more 1940s than 1930s, but I couldn't say with any certainty that the isn't PRIVATE NUMBER.

The entire movie on Youtube. I skimmed through it and didn't see any actor that looks like the man in the film you have, but I may have missed him.

Agreed, hair style ect doesnt Match up

Johnrich2002

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Shaun of the dead
i'm really that much of a fan but honestly the era of i've seen of her the most to be honest are some of her silent pictures in the (1920)'s some of them though are sadly lost but i believe she was a child actor cause she started really young or was she in her teens? i forget you'd have to look up her filmography on IMDB
I have her filmography, got a team going through one at a time ticking off the list!
Then to figure out why the film was on a Scottish beach!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i think it's just funny that i've seen more of her silents than anything she did after that

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well Loretta's in one of my favorite Christmas classics - The Bishop's Wife (1947), so that's enough to consider her important in my book. Her and Cary are great together and the movie has that special kind of holiday magic about it.

Her other great performance is in fact her Oscar winning one - The Farmer's Daughter (1947). I watched this once and remember loving it and laughing a lot. Definitely need to see it again. Her Oscar was deserved. I haven't seen Come to the Stable (1949), her other Oscar nominated, holiday themed classic but hope I can for this year's Christmas perhaps.

She had a good role in The Stranger (1946), the only Orson Welles movie to make a profit, together with a great cast and a fascinating plot (Nazi hiding in a small town America).

Also saw her in an enjoyable western, Rachel and the Stranger (1948), where she's torn between William Holden and Robert Mitchum.

One of her final movies, Cause for Alarm! (1951) is also one of her most interesting. A tense, suburb noir was a change of pace for Loretta but she did a good job playing a tormented wife dealing with extraordinary circumstances. This one is in public domain and barely over an hour long, so you can find it easily on You Tube and watch it quickly.

I have The Accused (1949), but haven't seen it yet, the quality of the print looks terrible so I don't feel like watching, but the plot sounds interesting since she plays a rape victim.

Clearly all the movies I've seen are from the late 40s, which seems to be her peak/best period but she made so many movies in the 30s and early 40s as well, I hope to watch some occasionally, especially her pre-codes which are interesting cause she had a grand lady image later in career and from what I've read some of her pre-codes were controversial.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's several of Loretta Young's movies on YouTube right now. I'm hoping to get them downloaded to my laptop before they're gone, among them being her Oscar-winning vehicle THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER from 1947.

1639670665573.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've read some of her pre-codes were controversial.
I'm not too sure how "controversial" her Pre-Code movies are, but I'd assume some of them can get a little racy, especially considering censorship wasn't heavily enforced at the time. I read once that Young's 1934 film BORN TO BE BAD was originally intended to star platinum blonde Jean Harlow, but MGM refused to loan Harlow to 20th Century Pictures (which had yet to merge with Fox Film Corporation). Young didn't like the movie at all, and it ended up loosing $50,000 at the box office.

1639760645745.png
1639760674659.png

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always wanted to see more of her movies such as The Accused and The Stranger because I loved her in The Bishop's Wife. That's a true classic and she gives a lovely, soulful performance.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
An absolutely beautiful picture of Loretta Young:

1657557337445.png

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ever since I was a teen, I've rarely run across a horoscopic configuration more formidable than Sun in Capricorn/Moon in Capricorn -- they know exactly what they're doing. They assimilate information very well, to the point of being downright spooky-smart... John Forsythe once observed about Loretta Young "she was always right" while Joan Crawford said about her best buddy William Haines (the top box office star of the early-'30s, now completely forgotten because he refused to give up his husband on studio demands, so he went and became a major designer instead) "he knows everything." (He was also Sun in Capricorn/Moon in Capricorn). Just ask our @garry .

Always benign? That's another matter. But they are utterly focused as a rule.

Sure, Victoria's Aquarius Rising makes her a little breezy-bitchy, but nobody's perfect.