The World Cup 2022

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Not long now until the World Cup starts in Quatar (Thats a whole thread in itself! And you know that Mr Beckham will profit from it regardless :( )

Who do you think will win?

Personally would like to see England to do well (althought i know my father will tut tut everytime they pass the ball back to the goalkeeper and comment on negative play! )

Not sure who will win this year, might be a S American team once more - Id love to see my fav player Messi with the World cup above his head as his last world cup was disappointing - but the field is open and Brazil as always will be hard to beat
maybe Europe, but cant wait!!

PS Why was Happy Harry MacGuire picked!?

The countdown is on to the Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022.

The tournament kicks off on 20 November with hosts Qatar facing Ecuador.
England and Wales are in action the following day against Iran and the United States respectively in Group B.

But where can you watch those games? When are the other group fixtures? What day do the knockout rounds start? And when is the final?

BBC Sport provides you with all the fixture and TV information available for the first World Cup to be held outside the northern hemisphere summer.

1668272545910.png

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think it's more unpredictable this World Cup because of the time of year it is being played in the middle of the Premier League season. England (and I'm sure many other countries) haven't been able to do their usual preparations which would normally include a series of friendly in the run up to the tournament. Also, managers only have a few months of the season to assess the form of their players instead of the full year. That said, I think it will be England's time. They have come so close in the past 2 international tournaments and there is every chance they will go one better this time. France have to be considered strong contenders and of course Brazil and Argentina. Beyond those 4 it's hard to think if any other team wins it will be a major upset but like I said, it's more unpredictable this year.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

Netherlands leave it late to beat Senegal 2-0​

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

Gareth Bale rescues draw for Wales against USA​

Bale didnt exactly shine in this game until he scored - i was trying to stay awake

Did realise the USA player who scored father was George Weah and President of his country

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Not half, I see the Saudis have been given tomorrow off as a national holiday!!

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
well that was boring, and USA were a tad unlucky
However 1 point is 1 point!

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
@Englishboy - The Argentina / Mexico game was a tad boring until a little bit of Messi magic, I just love watching him play...........

And why didnt Gareth Southgate play Foden? He is one of the best - and Im a tad bored with passing back to the goalie - I wonder if Kane will be rested for Tues game

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with you @Barbara Fan about Messi the messiah. It’s a pity that at 35 yrs of age this is almost certainly going to be the last World Cup he plays in.

As for Phil Foden, I’m at a loss as to why he wasn’t brought on as a sub against the USA given that he is one of the most gifted midfielders around. Personally, I would have him in my starting line up. I would play him in place of Jordan Henderson who has scored a solitary 2 goals in 71 appearances for the England squad.

As for tonight’s game, it is imperative for England to beat Wales and top their group table (rather than coming 2nd) as this will mean an easier passage for England in the knockout stages of the tournament.

Last edited:

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As for tonight’s game, it is imperative for England to beat Wales and top their group table (rather than coming 2nd) as this will mean an easier passage for England in the knockout stages of the tournament.
Having finished top of their table, England will now face Senegal in a last 16 berth on Sunday having avoided a clash with the Netherlands who they would have faced had they finished second in their group.

Should they prevail against Senegal on Sunday this will likely set up a clash with either the mighty Argentina or France in the quarter finals.

Last edited:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Im on hols and catching highlights.

But its so exciting and down to the wire.

Delighted for Japan and S Korea and cant believe Belgium and Germany are out

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Strong performance last night from England but France in the next round will be a much tougher test. The draw was quite favourable for England and every match up to now would have been a major shock had they lost. That won't be the case against France who must be one of the favourites (along with England and a couple of other teams) to win the tournament. If England win on Saturday, I think they could go on it win the World Cup.