What was the last film you watched?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
8a1bd42b20d18b135b33e469de705cce9337abad.jpg
I like the combination of colours used for this image.
 

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Last Christmas

My idea of a silly pleasure. I did love the music of George Michael as a soundtrack, and Emilia Clarke is great for these kind of rom-coms because she makes me care about what happens to her.
 
Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Game Night (2018)


Smug, entitled, middle-aged Americans act like the smart-talking sassy teenagers from Scream for no reason other than, apparently, because.

The constant pop-culture references were tedious. The lines were driven home with all the subtlety of the circus. One got the sense that the self-conscious actors thought they were incredibly clever to be delivering "funny" lines in a "naturalistic" way (which amounts to weird emphases, annoying pauses and saying "OK" at the end of sentences).

The self-indulgent existentialism of the three couples was highly unnecessary. Who cared that one couple wanted a baby and were having problems conceiving. Or that there had been infidelity in another relationship. Or that the third couple (the completely un-hilarious slow young guy and his incompatible date) weren't really sure if they were a couple. It's all there to pad out the wafer thin plot.

In place of actual intelligence was an over-abundance of self-awareness and a series of heavy, unoriginal twists which changed the reality of the film, each of which reduced my already fragile investment.

In terms of tone, one felt that it purloined from much of Nineties pop culture. Primarily sitcoms (the traditional game night scenes were lifted directly out of Nineties Will & Grace, while the "look how funny I am" delivery of dialogue had all the smugness of Friends - which at least had actual funny lines to support it) and the meta-horrors like Scream and Final Destination. On that level, it was quite accessible to me. But there was really nothing new. It was nowhere near as original as it seemed to think.

Although it doesn't sound like it, there was something strangely watchable about it. But I couldn't watch it again. Probably.
​
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
I´d been wanting to watch this for years and last night I did, at last. It´s an outrageously funny black comedy with a young(er) Nicole Kidman playing a very ambitious "weather girl". The cast includes a lot of actors who went on to bigger things, especially Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck, here as two very shady, sex-addicted high schoolmates. The end is very somber, which is a sign of how great Nicole was playing this character... because you kind of feel sorry for her.

 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
Last night I watched "Love, Simon". As outdated as one of Bill Cosby´s jerseys. "Glee" was Shakespeare compared with this (the parody of a Glee-like number must be the best scene here, btw...)
 

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV
0
 
Awards
4
It's been a little while since I watched a recent movie I could truly enjoy :( Most of new movies taste like crap to me... But there are a little few ones, I did love, deeply.
Midsommar is the first to come in mind. I loved, loved, loved that movie. So many Vikings cultural references, so many attention to details, foreshadowing, subliminal images (look at the trees... Yes, maybe you will see something you wouldn't see, if you don't pay attention). The movie is so fascinating. Nothing is "under the nose". You have to pay attention to everything : dialogs, sound, set, background set. You will even need to do some internet researches if your not familiar with some culturals Vikings myths and stories. Best movie of 2019. And I know a lot of people you juste hated it. Mainly because they were expecting something easy, with jump scares and explanations, à la BlumHouse.

It's a slow burn but but gradually gains momentum as it reaches it's very dark and effed up crescendo. Very atmospheric and unnerving, and you never quite know where it's going. I didn't really understand what was going on some of the time but that kind of added to the suspense. The performances are great, especially Toni Collete. All in all a pretty good modern horror movie.

Hereditary-DVD-2017-DVD-NEW.jpg

Same director than Midsommar actually . Again, I would say the same about Hereditary: everything is in the dialogues, the details, the set, the sounds. it's like a puzzle. When you connect every pieces, you can see the masterpiece.
 
Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
- "The Entity" (So much better that that "Hereditary" movie some people up there liked...) :rolleyes:;)
- "Married to It" (A mediocre 90s comedy only saved by a great Stockard Channing)
 

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
44
Some Will, Some Won't (1970)


What a cast: Thora Hird; Leslie Phillips; Ronnie Corbett and Michael Hordern all playing relatives of Wilfrid Brambell.

Throw in Arthur Lowe; Frank Thornton; Sheila Steafel and James Robertson Justice and it couldn't be more quintessentially 1970 Britain.





De bronafbeelding bekijken


This looked very funny, but my eyes and brains couldn't keep up with the frenetic animation. After 15 minutes I felt completely worn out.

I need a lie down just from looking at the poster.
​
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
"Room" (the 2015 one, of course...). Great, but must be seen with a positive mood. One of the most deserved Oscars of the Millennium for Brie Larson.
 
Last edited:

CryptCreeper72

Telly Talk Star
LV
2
 
Awards
7
"Room" (the 2015 one, of course...). Great, but must be seen with a positive mood. One of the most deserved Oscars of the Millennium for Brie Larson.

My God what a powerful movie. Best actress performance in movies since Meryl Streep in "Sophie's Choice."
 

Toni

Maximum Member
LV
11
 
Awards
24
I watched "Black Panther" again today...and I'm sure everyone knows why.

Rest in Power.

I myself watched the last (for now) Avengers, Endgame. RIP Chadwick Boseman. The movie was better than the previous entries despite its hyper-long running time (3 hours!).
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Lilies In The Field (1963)

e7706f164b559b5a1eb5a10854d5b4e0--lilies-of-the-field-classic-movies.jpg

The film for which Sidney Poitier became the first black actor to win the Oscar for best actor. I've wanted to see this film for many years and finally I have and I wasn't disappointed. Sidney Poitier plays Homer Smith who by chance meets a group of nuns and who persuade him to stay and build a chapel for them. It's an understated film that has drama and humour with just the right balance of each. Sidney Poitier is outstanding and gives one of the most charming and endearing performances you will ever see in a film.
 
Last edited:
Top