What was the last film you watched?

James from London

International Treasure
LV
6
 
Awards
18
%7B3F1635DA-BC24-42BA-BD6C-80F5866906FF%7DImg100.jpg


I was completely gripped throughout. This quote from a review of the film sums it up for me:

"At any one time, nothing is happening, and everything is happening."

I´m talking about the gay favorite of 2018 "Call By Your Name". It should better be titled "Call Me Bi". I only liked the Italy scenery. Both leads are pathetically unexpressive and their characters are even more pathetic and undefined, and the writing is as outdated as Miss Piggy´s fake eyelashes. I didn´t expect this from such a talented writer as James Ivory but hey, I think the director here is the one to blame.

I didn´t buy the love story and most characters seem to be stupid in one or other way, which makes the film itself rather stupid too.

Gosh, I had the exact opposite reaction!

I also loved the songs in the film written and sung by Sufjan Stevens.

The song at the end is especially haunting (except I thought he was singing "Is it a video? Is it a video?" which I actually prefer).

 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Jojo Rabbit (2019).

Some of the reviews I read about this film said people will either love or hate this film. They were correct, I hated it. Even the stunning performance of the child star who had an engaging screen presence and was a brilliant actor, couldn't save this film for me.

fid19515.jpg
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood (2019)

I don't know if this film was written with Tom Hanks in mind but there is no current actor that is better suited to play Fred Rogers than he.

I saw he recent documentary on Fred Rogers last year and was looking forward to see how they were going to make a film of his life. However, this isn't really a biopic, more of a story to illustrate how Mr Rogers could make anyone he met feel special and how he used his goodness to touch people's lives to help them become better people. I really liked this film and Tom Hanks didn't disappoint.

beautiful-day-poster.jpg
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Bombshell (2019).

A fascinating film for the #metoo era. John Lithgow is superb in this and his performance is Oscar-worthy so it's amazing he wasn't even nominated. It actually quite a dry story but it's so tightly written, directed and performed that it is compelling to watch.

small_05f26a6da6541561.jpg
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Ford v Ferrari (2019)

I'm not a fan of motor sports (I don't even drive a car) but I really liked this film. Although parts of it were a bit clichéd the race scenes were genuinely exciting and brilliantly staged.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F78658283%2F223616609218%2F1%2Foriginal.20191029-185617
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Dolemite Is My Name (2019)

I knew nothing of this film until the recent Golden Globes awards and it was a surprising delight. I've never really liked Eddie Murphy as an actor but he is very good in this.

MV5BMzFiYWQxYzgtOThmYi00ZmIwLWFlZWMtMzk2NTI2YTYzMjkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ%40%40._V1_SY1000_CR0%2C0%2C675%2C1000_AL_.jpg
 
Last edited:

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Portrait de la Jeune Fille En Feu/Portrait of a Lady On Fire (2019)

A gentle, beautiful and stunning piece of French cinema.

image.jpg
 
Last edited:

Richard Channing

Eternal Member
LV
13
 
Awards
25
I thought Joker was incredible, it totally lived up to all the hype. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is nothing short of astounding and he absolutely deserves to win the Oscar for best actor. I couldn't imagine any other actor working today doing what he did. A tour de force.

s-l400.jpg


Interestingly as I watched the credit roll I saw that the part of Thomas Wayne was played by Brett Cullen. And only cause I watched a Falcon Crest opening credits earlier today did I recognize the name. Dan Fixx is Batman's father!

Thomas-Wayne-Joker.png DxgvaQdVsAAZS1D.jpg
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
Jojo Rabbit (2019).

Some of the reviews I read about this film said people will either love or hate this film. They were correct, I hated it. Even the stunning performance of the child star who had an engaging screen presence and was a brilliant actor, couldn't save this film for me.
Haven't seen it yet but the concept does seem calculated to divide opinion.

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood (2019)
This is being advertised here as "based on a true story". I'm aware of who Mr. Rogers is but not being from the States I naturally don't have the emotional background. I grew up with an entirely different set of TV personalities who I'm sure would be quite unknown overseas.
 

Sea - Boo! - Er

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
21
The Handmaid's Tale (1990)

I watched this mainly out of curiosity to compare it with the TV series.

The movie goes into a bit more detail explaining how Gilead came to be and obviously the pace is a bit faster to get the whole story into two hours but the most disconcerting differences are the fact that Offred's real name is Kate rather than June, and the casting of Victoria Tennant as Aunt Lydia - a very different choice than Ann Dowd.

Next stop I suppose will be to go back even further and read Margaret Atwood's original novel.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Haven't seen it yet but the concept does seem calculated to divide opinion.
I had no problem with the concept of making a comedy about Hitler and the Hitler Youth movement, I just didn't think it was funny or a particularly interesting film.

I grew up with an entirely different set of TV personalities who I'm sure would be quite unknown overseas.
I'm from the UK and I was trying to think of an equivalent British children's TV star to Mr Rogers and there wasn't really one, the closest I could come up with was Brian Cant (my era) or Justin Fletcher who is more current.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
1917 (2019)

There's no denying that this is a stunning example of film making. Telling the story as though was one continuous camera take makes the experience more immersive but the way the camera moved throughout did make it look a bit like a video game.

1917-british-movie-poster-md.jpg
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Harriet (2019)
I generally find films about slavery to be depressing but this one focussed more on her escape from slavery and what she achieved next. The uplifting story of Harriet Tubman transformation from slave to an American hero whose determination lead her to freeing hundreds of others. A really good film.

e0f7408a514adf381b5d75511d51263b.jpg
 
Top