What was the last film you watched?

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
I think this is the movie that is part featured in the musical film Annie (one of my favourites). Daddy Warbucks and Grace take Annie to the cinema and that is what they go to watch I think.
You are correct! And I totally forgot about that as I haven’t seen Annie in quite a few years. It was Camille.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
I think this is the movie that is part featured in the musical film Annie (one of my favourites). Daddy Warbucks and Grace take Annie to the cinema and that is what they go to watch I think.
It's also referenced in the song That's Entertainment in the film Bandwagon (1953). The lyric goes:

No death
Like you get in Macbeth
No ordeal
Like the end of Camille

This goodbye
Brings a tear to the eye
The world is a stage
The stage is a world of entertainment
!

 
Last edited:

Biggie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
4
 
Awards
14
People Just Do Nothing: Big In Japan.

Transitioning to the big screen pretty well. The characters offer pretty much what you're expecting if you're familiar with the TV series.

Not the greatest comedy movie ever, but still a few laughs to be found.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
People Just Do Nothing: Big In Japan.

Transitioning to the big screen pretty well. The characters offer pretty much what you're expecting if you're familiar with the TV series.

Not the greatest comedy movie ever, but still a few laughs to be found.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this so I'm pleased that you are reasonably positive about it.
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
45
Harpoon (2019)


Quite different from anything I imagined based on the write-up. It went to some... interesting places.

iu


​


I think this is the movie that is part featured in the musical film Annie

Wasn't there a Dallas connection as well? I seem to remembering one of the books mentioning an episode that featured two characters having seen it at the cinema.

It was done as a tribute to Camille Marchetta, and happened around the time of her final episode as story editor (End Of The Road). I'm thinking it was Sue Ellen and Clint (though it could have been Pam and Alex. Or even Ray and Donna).



I've not heard of this film but it sounds really interesting so I'm going to get a copy to watch it. As I said in a earlier comment, I really like Steve Coogan as an actor so it will be interesting to see him in this role.

Oh gosh. I hope you like it.
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Harpoon (2019)


Quite different from anything I imagined based on the write-up. It went to some... interesting places.

iu


​




Wasn't there a Dallas connection as well? I seem to remembering one of the books mentioning an episode that featured two characters having seen it at the cinema.

It was done as a tribute to Camille Marchetta, and happened around the time of her final episode as story editor (End Of The Road). I'm thinking it was Sue Ellen and Clint (though it could have been Pam and Alex. Or even Ray and Donna).





Oh gosh. I hope you like it.
Is there any animal cruelty in this? (Says the huge Jaws fan)
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
The Sea Hawk (1940)
Errol Flynn is looting the Spanish ships as they invade England in the late 1500s. But when he captures a ship with Brenda Marshall aboard he falls in love with her (the captains niece). I usually don’t like movies set that far back in time but I really enjoyed this one.
 

Spells & Karma

Admin
LV
16
 
Awards
45
Is there any animal cruelty in this? (Says the huge Jaws fan)

Unfortunately yes. A tuna is beaten to death and a seagull is stoned.

The tuna ends up thrown back overboard because one guy is afraid his best friend will beat him with it. But they do make use of the seagull by drinking its blood.

Speaking of Jaws, there's a bit of a Jaws diss in this film when one character claims that Brody and Hooper would never have made it to shore at the end of the film (he clearly wasn't paying attention, as they were almost back to shore by that time and they used the barrels as floats).
 

Sarah

Moderator Emerita
LV
5
 
Awards
15
Unfortunately yes. A tuna is beaten to death and a seagull is stoned.

The tuna ends up thrown back overboard because one guy is afraid his best friend will beat him with it. But they do make use of the seagull by drinking its blood.

Speaking of Jaws, there's a bit of a Jaws diss in this film when one character claims that Brody and Hooper would never have made it to shore at the end of the film (he clearly wasn't paying attention, as they were almost back to shore by that time and they used the barrels as floats).
Ok I pass.

Dead tuna AND dissing Jaws. It’s a no from me.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
Back From Eternity (1956)
This is one I’ve never seen before. It’s basically about a plane that crashes in the South American jungle with 11 people on board. Then the real fun begins as the locals start chasing them around. Not the greatest movie I’ve ever seen but I did find it highly entertaining. Picture Gilligan’s Island meets Survivor if you want an idea of what it’s like.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
Days of Heaven (1978)
Set in early 1900s Texas, it’s mainly about the conning of a rich wheat farmer. This film didn’t do very well monetarily but it did win an Oscar for cinematography, which is pretty clear to see why. The images throughout the movie are quite stunning.
 

Werewillie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV
9
 
Awards
27
1631021198935.png
A quirky, outlandish, Roald Dahl-esque thriller. It's been 25 years since I had watched this relatively unknown Aussie gem on television and now I got the chance to rewatch it in crystal clear picture quality on "that other website". (crystal clear by my standards, not the 4K HD Blu-ray crowd).
Fabulous sets, good camera work, twists & turns and a great performance by Phil Collins.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Suddenly Last Summer (1959)

d397ab148ded6b52fe6744ccff8cfaf1.jpg


This was Montgomery Clift's 12th film and my 17th and last film in my journey through his entire filmography. A film about Catherine, a character played by Elizabeth Taylor who is traumatised after witnessing her cousin's violent death and she is committed to an asylum. Her aunt (the cousin's mother) played by Katharine Hepburn wants to cover up the events surrounding her son's death by asking a neurosurgeon, played by Monty Clift, to perform a lobotomy on Catherine. The film is adapted from a play be Tennessee Williams and it shows. The scenes are long and packed with dialogue and the action is limited to a few locations. The reason for all the secrecy is that the dead cousin was gay, although this is only hinted at and by not addressing this issue directly, the film does feel like it's dancing around the main point and this takes away from the drama. However, it's not a bad film.
 

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
5
 
Awards
17
The Arrangement (1969)
Kirk Douglass’s marriage to Deborah Kerr is falling apart and between that and his affair with Faye Dunaway he has a serious breakdown. Terrific acting performances all the way around. I’m just wondering how much worse the breakdown would’ve been for him had he met Faye about 12 years later when she was known as Mommie Dearest.
 

Angela Chilling

Telly Talk Veteran
LV
19
 
Awards
53
Je T'aime Moi Non Plus (1976)

media.jpg


I was long aware of the Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin song with the same title but it wasn't until I was checking what films Gerard Depardieu had made for the Movie Top 10 thread that I became aware of this film's existence. The film is a bit of a mess. It's the story of an androgynous looking young woman who meets 2 gay truckers when they enter the café she is working in. One is attracted to her boyish looks and they start a relationship, much to the annoyance of his partner. The jealous boyfriend tries to kill her but is stopped by his partner only to be subjected to homophobic abuse from the woman. That is the thread bare plot which is padded out with some of what must be the least erotic sex scenes ever made for a feature film. The only thing I like about this film was the soundtrack.
 
Top