The Rewrite (2014)
This came up as a suggestion after I watched
Gambit. Never having heard of this, all I knew was that Hugh Grant starred and (from glimpsing the unavoidable blurb) it was about a disillusioned screenwriter who moved from Hollywood to the East Coast.
It's a perfectly competent with some nice performances (I believe this is the first time I've seen J.K. Simmons playing someone other than J. Jonah Jameson). Marisa Tomei is fine, and the young actors playing the students are engaging enough (I especially liked Steven Kaplan, whose character emerged from a one-note hypochondriac character to one I found myself rooting for as his talent was discovered).
But it's also underwhelming in most regards, particularly for someone who doesn't have much of an appetite for romcoms. The casting carries the film, but the writing isn't the best.
With the main character teaching a screenwriting class, there are plenty of film references. Unfortunately, most are rather clunky (the
Star Wars obsessed character became particularly irritating with each reference. Once or twice would have been plenty). Still, it does yield some nice moments, such as Grant's character, Keith Michaels, trying to get round the Jane Austen loving feminist teacher by presenting her with a set of DVDs of films based on Austen's work... including
Clueless.
Grant's character is nicely flawed. Keith slept with a student; selected his class based on how pretty they were (with the exception of two token male geeks); and spoke openly to the feminist teacher about how weary he was with the vogue for kick-arse heroines (tellingly, the entire faculty came to a shocked silence when he asked why women kicking men's arses couldn't be reversed for a refreshing change).
Considering the genre of film, it very much felt we were being set up for a feminist film via the mean, old-fashioned misogynist learning a valuable lesson and winning the approval of the other characters and the audience. There is that arc to be found, but I was pleased to find it wasn't as sledgehammer as expected.
Considering the film was released shortly before the resurgence of the MeToo movement, I found myself questioning if the film could even be made today. Could the character even be allowed to express his unfashionable views in order to have them challenged, or would he have to be somewhat on the same page to begin with in order not to be cancelled?
I thought it interesting that this character is played by Hugh Grant who has had his own moments of controversy when it comes to objectifying women. There's even a rather meta moment where Keith Michaels watches old footage of himself winning an award for screenwriting, and it appears to be real footage of a much younger Hugh Grant winning an award. Something about it felt rather exposing and brave on his part.