Your series reboot/return wish list?

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We're recycling more than ever before. Old series comes back in new shapes frequently. Either picking up "a few years later" or rebooting from the start with new actors. Dallas, Dynasty, Full House, Heroes, Prison Break, Roseanne, The X-files, Twin Peaks, Will & Grace etc. etc. etc.

What other cancelled series would you like to return? Why and how?

And what series do you think is either impossible or pointless to start up again?

Make a little wish list. :)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
RETURN:
NuDallas
Dexter
Peyton Place (I had thought of a remake and it's possible to re-tell the story, but it's so difficult to recreate that era without falling in the traps of contemporary portrayal)

REMAKE:
Flamingo Road
James Michener's Texas, because the original mini-series only did one chapter.
John Jakes' The Kent Chronicles, because the original movies only did three chapters - and apparently they didn't have a big budget.
I, Claudius as a prime time soap.

And what series do you think is either impossible or pointless to start up again?
Some of my favourite cancelled shows like Popular, Central Park West and Carnivale wouldn't work as a remake or sequel.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would like returns of:
  • Frasier
  • Seinfeld
  • That 70s show (maybe just one short season, set in the 80s)
  • Absolutely Fabulous (with their recent movie, Edina & Patsy showed that they still got it)
  • Blackadder
  • Married... with Children
  • Scrubs
  • Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (Carlton & Will as parents of modern kids)
Series that could work as a reboot with new actors (if they find the 'right' actors):
  • Golden Girls
  • Sex and the City

Series that shouldn't be picked up again:
  • Revenge (most are dead, revenge completed and we've already seen many flashbacks of what happened before)
  • Father Ted (most important actor dead, let it be)
  • Allo! Allo! (the original was already perfect, don't mess with it)
  • Friends (the series feel like it needs a 30+ cast, having 50 year old friends living together feels sad)
  • How I Met Your Mother (we know the past, we know the future - no point)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Peyton Place (I had thought of a remake and it's possible to re-tell the story
Although it could be interesting if they did the original story from the novels and then combine it with stories from the tv version and soap it into multiple seasons.
*drools*

That 70s show
I'd love to see a drama variant. They could have continued with Mad Men, maybe a spin-off that focussed on the cosmetics branch.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Return: Cagney & Lacey - perhaps not a full series but I still think it's not too late to do a final wrap-up movie. Cagney as Chief of Police, Lacey as ... Mayor? Alice as a detective.

Reboot: Alien Nation - there was talk of doing this a while ago. Generally I'm not very interested in the remakes but in this case I think there was potential in the concept that was never realised. For instance, I'm sure it would be possible to do more with the Matthew/Cathy relationship than thirty years ago.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
The show i would like to see return is Waking the dead with Trevor Eve and Sue johnson and would like to see Prime Suspect type of dramas

i also liked Foyles war with Micheal Kitchen and that could continue thro the 1950

the only thing for F W and P S is the lead actors are maybe too old for the police force now!

I would be happy to see a re boot of Tenko with a different cast and as it set in WW2 - it wouldnt date

there are so many shows that belong in the era they were shown in, like Dallas - it failed with the re boot - please let it go and let me be happy with my memories and JR/Larry is dead,

Id rather see fresh NEW dramas and liked Liar, Love, lies and records, the missing, the last post, broken etc

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Return: Cagney & Lacey - perhaps not a full series but I still think it's not too late to do a final wrap-up movie. Cagney as Chief of Police, Lacey as ... Mayor? Alice as a detective.

Reboot: Alien Nation - there was talk of doing this a while ago. Generally I'm not very interested in the remakes but in this case I think there was potential in the concept that was never realised. For instance, I'm sure it would be possible to do more with the Matthew/Cathy relationship than thirty years ago.

A reboot of "Cagney & Lacey" is in the works:
http://wtax.com/news/030030-cagney-lacey-latest-tv-show-to-get-reboot/

I myself would like to see only sequels or continuations (since nobody seems interested in producing original stories or adaptations of new novels...): revampings, reboots, and retoolings are useless, and probably Battlestar Galactica is the exception.

upload_2018-4-16_19-19-36.jpeg

I wouldn´t mind watching new seasons of "Falcon Crest", "thirtysomething" (with another number, of course, what about "sixtysomething"? No better not...), "Ally McBeal", "Desperate Housewives"...

Though what I´d actually like to see is new seasons of more recently canceled shows, like TNT "Dallas" (minus Cider House), "Secrets & Lies", "Fortitude", "American Crime", "Helix", "Allegiance", "Hannibal", the Swedish original version of "Humans", "Missing" (the one with Ashley Judd), "Caprica", "The Killing", and even "Glee", and very especially...

#SaveSMASH #BringBackSMASH #SMASHSeason3
And, of course, millions of new Piggy-centric Muppet shows...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would also like to see another series of SPARTACUS.
It doesn't matter who plays him and it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, it was such a sexy and wicked show and I want more.

And also new episodes of Tales Of The Unexpected (or Thriller or Twilight Zone or Hammer House Of Mystery & Suspense). We don't have that kind of series anymore, although Black Mirror is something like that.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The late-1970s sitcom Soap always struck me as a great candidate for either a remake (because the material is still so scandalous and hilarious), or an update (picking up 35 years later). It's proably too much to hope for, though, since Susan Harris would not likely be willing to write or produce it, and it really was HER baby.

The daytime soap opera The Edge of Night had a crime drama/mystery tone to it that could easily translate to modern times, though it would probably fare better as a primetime soap rather than daytime. It would be fun either way: in daytime, you can unwrap an intricate mystery daily over many months, whereas a weekly primetime show can take a similar story and have it unravel quicker (maybe 10-12 episodes) with a lot more 'action'.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The daytime soap opera The Edge of Night had a crime drama/mystery tone to it that could easily translate to modern times, though it would probably fare better as a primetime soap rather than daytime. It would be fun either way: in daytime, you can unwrap an intricate mystery daily over many months, whereas a weekly primetime show can take a similar story and have it unravel quicker (maybe 10-12 episodes) with a lot more 'action'
I think that's a brilliant idea! Take a famous daytime soap and remake it into a prime time soap. It doesn't have to be the whole story, just the best bits.
Capitol, perhaps? Santa Barbara, was that a good show?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They did a wonderful primetime remake of Dark Shadows in 1991 where they took about a year of daytime storylines and boiled them down to 13 episodes. With a large budget and a cast of beautiful actors, it was the sort of remake I would love for nuDynasty to be.

I forgot when I originally posted that The Edge of Night was intended to be a daytime version of Perry Mason when it premiered in 1956. So I guess the concept could very easily move back and forth between day and night...and already has. Of course EON became so much more than a Perry Mason rip-off over the decades, but enough time has passed since EON's 1984 cancellation that they could tweak the format in any number of ways.

I think a show like Capitol would probably be impossible to reboot in the current political climate, since they were not willing to depict any of the characters' political affiliations or make any sort of comments about current events. Many tuning in would immediately expect their political opinions to be reinforced, that the good characters must be "on my side" politically, while all those on the "other side" all have to be villains. It would also be impossible to have stories that reflected what was happening at that exact time in DC, since the show has to film a month ahead.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A reboot of "Cagney & Lacey" is in the works:
I'd watch it out of interest and I do like Sarah Drew, but I'd still prefer one last go-round with Gless and Daly.

Here's another revisit I thought of: The Paper Chase, with Mr Hart (James Stephens) now the professor passing on the torch to a new generation of students.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Reboot?

Return To Eden. I'd like to see a modern version of this series with high production values and played straight, even if the story is over-the-top.

Cate Blanchett as Stephanie Harper. She has the ability to play frumpy and transform into an object of beauty.

Chris Hemsworth as Greg Marsden. For a change I'd like to see Chris play an unlikeable character.

It has to be filmed in the stunning Kimberley location before relocating to Sydney.

K

Karin Schill

A part of me really wants Dallas to come back again. But with a new writers team who understand what made the original so popular in the first place. I don't want a reboot though. But a continuation.

Except for that I would also love to watch a Dynasty Prequel series focusing on Blake and Alexis marriage. I wish they had gone with this idea instead of the reboot.

Another Knots Landing Reunion Movie would also be nice.

I just love the continuation of Full House. IMHO "Fuller House" is the best thing on TV right now! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There really isn't anything.

I'm against remakes almost as a rule. There's a reason they almost never work.

I wanted a reboot of DALLAS but they blew that with a show runner who had no interest in its origins, and couldn't even tell a modern story.

DYNASTY got a remake; I watch it out of curiosity, but little more.

They did a wonderful primetime remake of Dark Shadows in 1991 where they took about a year of daytime storylines and boiled them down to 13 episodes. With a large budget and a cast of beautiful actors, it was the sort of remake I would love for nuDynasty to be.
The reason the 1991 remale of DS couldn't work was because they hired pretty actors, and not lycanthropic thespians similar to those of the original.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
and not lycanthropic thespians similar to those of the original.

I think shows produced today just cannot play the material straight in the way the original DS actors did, or even the way the 1991 remake did. There always has to be this undercurrent of "smirkiness" that breaks the fourth wall and lessens my enjoyment.

I'm still in awe of how genuinely immersed all the actors are in the original DS. Even Grayson Hall, with her businesslike tone and ball-busting demeanor, seemed committed to playing the ingenue in peril more than once...and sold it, braying screams and all. There was no wink and nod to the audience, no eye-rolling. Of course she may have just been dipping into her character's bottomless bag of "sedatives"...

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I loved the 1991 Dark Shadows, though I know forum fans (in the original sense of the word) of the black and white show consider such statements anathema.
This is the kind of a reboot I get. I also got why the team of Battlestar Galactica thought the original show had not justice to its story, which it hadn't.

But other than that I am more for bringing back shows that did not get a chance in their original run. For instance, LONE STAR which FOX cancelled after just two episodes in 2010, or MURDER ONE which has the kind of high concept more suitable for binge watching and the current environment than the ridiculous Thursday night competition of the networks in the 80s and 90s.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think shows produced today just cannot play the material straight in the way the original DS actors did, or even the way the 1991 remake did. There always has to be this undercurrent of "smirkiness" that breaks the fourth wall and lessens my enjoyment.

I'm still in awe of how genuinely immersed all the actors are in the original DS. Even Grayson Hall, with her businesslike tone and ball-busting demeanor, seemed committed to playing the ingenue in peril more than once...and sold it, braying screams and all. There was no wink and nod to the audience, no eye-rolling. Of course she may have just been dipping into her character's bottomless bag of "sedatives"...
Totally right. Nothing today seems to be able to take itself seriously (or the go way overboard). It's turned me against a lot of stuff.

Any theories as to why?

I loved the 1991 Dark Shadows, though I know forum fans (in the original sense of the word) of the black and white show consider such statements anathema.
Most of the '60s show was in color (though a lot of the color episodes only exist today in B&W).