Christina Pike survives execution attempt

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Champion
LV
3
 
Awards
9
That's not the first time this has happened to somebody either. She may be evil, but lifetime confinement should have been suitable enough punishment.

The fact that they sent her to the hospital to save her life just so they can presumably try to kill her again proves that the state is just as mentally unstable as Pike is.
 
Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
And then there are those relishing in the cruelty of the botched execution as justice for Colleen Slemmer. Someone wrote an eloquent comment under a story I read here in Australia. Christa has enjoyed 31 years of sunrises/sunsets and little things like birthdays and Christmas. Colleen has not. She wasn't offered the opportunity of marriage, children, becoming a grandmother and contributing to society. Her life was snuffed out by monsters...with violent intent. What's that old saying?

...poetic justice​
 

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Champion
LV
3
 
Awards
9
And then there are those relishing in the cruelty of the botched execution as justice for Colleen Slemmer. Someone wrote an eloquent comment under a story I read here in Australia. Christa has enjoyed 31 years of sunrises/sunsets and little things like birthdays and Christmas. Colleen has not. She wasn't offered the opportunity of marriage, children, becoming a grandmother and contributing to society. Her life was snuffed out by monsters...with violent intent. What's that old saying?

...poetic justice​
I get the sentiment, but I don't know if you can really "enjoy" those experiences from prison.

I'm honestly surprised that many death row inmates fight so hard for life in prison over the death penalty. If I was in that situation, I would prefer death over losing my freedom.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the situation. I don't support the death penalty on principle, but at the same time, I can't muster any sympathy for Pike either.
 

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Star
LV
1
 
Awards
6
I don't have empathy for Pike, I just think that if the state is going to insist on carrying out the death penalty, they ought to at least get it right.

I read a comment yesterday that pointed out that the electric chair, the gas chamber, and lethal injection were all "inhumane" and complicated enough that a lot could go wrong. The writer suggested a firing squad would be faster and more humane. Surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with that.
 

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
9
 
Awards
20
I had to laugh when I heard it. All the controversy and it turns out like this. It's funny in a bad horror movie kind of way.
 

Crimson

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV
2
 
Awards
9
I read a comment yesterday that pointed out that the electric chair, the gas chamber, and lethal injection were all "inhumane" and complicated enough that a lot could go wrong. The writer suggested a firing squad would be faster and more humane. Surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with that.

The French solved this like 200 years ago.

I'm ambivalent about the death penally, provided the crime is heinous and unambiguous enough to justify it. But if we, as a society, are going to condone the death penalty then there's no point in being squeamish about it.

That said, seems like the Canadians have perfected humanely killing people when assisted suicide is on the table, so I don't know why an execution gets so complicated.
 

Laurie!

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
6
I don't have empathy for Pike, I just think that if the state is going to insist on carrying out the death penalty, they ought to at least get it right.

I read a comment yesterday that pointed out that the electric chair, the gas chamber, and lethal injection were all "inhumane" and complicated enough that a lot could go wrong. The writer suggested a firing squad would be faster and more humane. Surprisingly, I found myself agreeing with that.
I skimmed over an article where I thought I read that she requested an all female firing squad?? Something to do with her fear of men confining her after her childhood of being sexually abused. Maybe it was a fake article.

I'm honestly surprised that many death row inmates fight so hard for life in prison over the death penalty. If I was in that situation, I would prefer death over losing my freedom.
I think most murderers are far too narcissistic so when it comes to their own death, they're cowards.

I don't support the death penalty...mostly because there are innocent people convicted somewhere every day by being set up or railroaded. Even if it's one in every thousand convictions, that risk is too high i.m.o.
 
Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Champion
LV
3
 
Awards
9
I skimmed over an article where I thought I read that she requested an all female firing squad?? Something to do with her fear of men confining her after her childhood of being sexually abused. Maybe it was a fake article.
I read that too, but it said the request was denied because Tennessee doesn't offer a firing squad as an option.

Her legal team also suggested hanging as an alternative, but that was denied as well.

I think most murderers are far too narcissistic so when it comes to their own death, they're cowards.
Yeah, that makes sense.

I don't support the death penalty...mostly because there are innocent people convicted somewhere every day by being set up or railroaded. Even if it's one in every thousand convictions, that risk is too high i.m.o.
Yeah, that's basically how I feel about it as well. That said, I'm apathetic about the use of capital punishment when the guilt of the accused is unquestionable. Of course, as long as the death penalty is on the table, there should be measures to ensure it's done as humanely as possible. After all, there's a provision against "cruel and unusual punishment."
 
Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
Yeah, I'm against capital punishment on moral grounds -- unless I get really, really mad...

But retroactive abortion seems to be popular now. Maybe if we hang her from an exercise band, that will click all the boxes and we can move on.
 
Top