- Awards
- 7
I am one all in favor of diversity here as a reboot and would like to see a lot more made of diversity than I've read about and thus more of a jet setting lifestyle (albeit based in Denver). BUT, I don't want stereotypes like poor Cristal from the slums of Mexico City. Here are my ideas:
Cristal and her family (Sammy Jo) are from second and third generation immigrants. Cristal's father went from factory laborer to foreman but died when she was in college along with he mother in a car accident leaving her to grow up fast and be responsible for her family, such as her niece. Cristal should be well educated, solid middle class, an ad executive with her own agency, partnered with Claudia. This shouldn't be issues if the poor moving up but the middle class moving up - much toucher subject.
Claudia's diversity was mental illness, something they already touched on in the original and needs to be explore further, her struggles, her issues with ignorance and discrimination.
Steven was gay and should remain so. If anything I'd make this less of an issue and Blake's issue be that his son works on oil rigs as a laborer and keeps having relationships with what Blake considers gold diggers. This could be where the show explores the lower classes.
Fallon I'd have more into the business of her father's company then a "woman's place" as in running a hotel. I'd make her brilliant at business, even more so than her father, but I'd also make her dyslexic and note her struggles in school. Where school would have come easy for Steve but he didn't want it, it came hard for Fallon and she desperately wanted it.
Blake I'd make half 1/2 eastern seaboard English, very majority type even if the Carringtons aren't as rich as new money, and 1/2 Greek (like the Royal family in a sort of a way). The Greek side could be fabulously wealthy and Blake's inspiration to get rich on his own.
The Colby's could be an English Black family switching out LA for London and merging the characters of Connie and Dominique. Jason and Cecil could be twins - an interesting way to keep the same actor. They could be Walton family rich but in oil and mining. And Alexis could be married to Cecil for a long time, securing her inheritance and making her business acume plausible.
Alexis I'd make 1/2 Arab. Raised in England and Swiss boarding schools, the daughter of an investment accountant for an EAU royal family. Able to live among the elite of Europe but not necessarily elite herself. Her often quoted mother could be from an empoverished but high ranking noble family of England - all the pomp and little of the money.
I'd like to see the show deal more with the current political climate and bring in the Russians, the Chinese, etc. In the current climate just dealing with Hispanics, Blacks and Arabs could prove interesting. But with foreign affairs with the Russians and Chinese and others there's no end to diversity, and I do believe the show could profit from it.
Set in 2017/8 but the same house. Same music. The same threads of storylines at first but NOT getting the characters to close (or unfavorable comparisons will be made). Mining the first few seasons' stories to set it up and then run with their own stories. Feels like Dynasty but it cannot be Dynasty as a reboot (where Dallas 2012 did that and it should have BEEN Dallas as it was a continuation). I think widespread diversity would serve this goal well and if written and acted well it will work (original fans should not feel ripped off expecting Dynasty but feel the same thrill and an old familiarity with a new show, while new fans should get that same thrill we got decades ago).
And as a side note they could handle stories better like mentioning Alexis and Adam way before they show up.
Cristal and her family (Sammy Jo) are from second and third generation immigrants. Cristal's father went from factory laborer to foreman but died when she was in college along with he mother in a car accident leaving her to grow up fast and be responsible for her family, such as her niece. Cristal should be well educated, solid middle class, an ad executive with her own agency, partnered with Claudia. This shouldn't be issues if the poor moving up but the middle class moving up - much toucher subject.
Claudia's diversity was mental illness, something they already touched on in the original and needs to be explore further, her struggles, her issues with ignorance and discrimination.
Steven was gay and should remain so. If anything I'd make this less of an issue and Blake's issue be that his son works on oil rigs as a laborer and keeps having relationships with what Blake considers gold diggers. This could be where the show explores the lower classes.
Fallon I'd have more into the business of her father's company then a "woman's place" as in running a hotel. I'd make her brilliant at business, even more so than her father, but I'd also make her dyslexic and note her struggles in school. Where school would have come easy for Steve but he didn't want it, it came hard for Fallon and she desperately wanted it.
Blake I'd make half 1/2 eastern seaboard English, very majority type even if the Carringtons aren't as rich as new money, and 1/2 Greek (like the Royal family in a sort of a way). The Greek side could be fabulously wealthy and Blake's inspiration to get rich on his own.
The Colby's could be an English Black family switching out LA for London and merging the characters of Connie and Dominique. Jason and Cecil could be twins - an interesting way to keep the same actor. They could be Walton family rich but in oil and mining. And Alexis could be married to Cecil for a long time, securing her inheritance and making her business acume plausible.
Alexis I'd make 1/2 Arab. Raised in England and Swiss boarding schools, the daughter of an investment accountant for an EAU royal family. Able to live among the elite of Europe but not necessarily elite herself. Her often quoted mother could be from an empoverished but high ranking noble family of England - all the pomp and little of the money.
I'd like to see the show deal more with the current political climate and bring in the Russians, the Chinese, etc. In the current climate just dealing with Hispanics, Blacks and Arabs could prove interesting. But with foreign affairs with the Russians and Chinese and others there's no end to diversity, and I do believe the show could profit from it.
Set in 2017/8 but the same house. Same music. The same threads of storylines at first but NOT getting the characters to close (or unfavorable comparisons will be made). Mining the first few seasons' stories to set it up and then run with their own stories. Feels like Dynasty but it cannot be Dynasty as a reboot (where Dallas 2012 did that and it should have BEEN Dallas as it was a continuation). I think widespread diversity would serve this goal well and if written and acted well it will work (original fans should not feel ripped off expecting Dynasty but feel the same thrill and an old familiarity with a new show, while new fans should get that same thrill we got decades ago).
And as a side note they could handle stories better like mentioning Alexis and Adam way before they show up.
Last edited: