New article with some new info about the new dynasty

K

Karin Schill

Guest
I don't mind a reboot. David Jacobs wanted the same for Dallas which would have worked better in my opinion in the right hands. Like Prisoner Cell Block H which intelligently rebooted the series but kept the inner filling intact but different with a lovely sprinkling of the original.

So I think this new Dynasty is all well and good as a reboot but just how the characters and setting would look in a contemporary setting. Blake like Donald Trump :))

I disagree about reboots. I think a continuation can work well if it's in the hands of the right people. Like I'm watching "Fuller House" right now and they have the same creator Jeff Franklin who created "Full House" so the show sort of feels like a modern version of Full House and it totally works. They have the same cast too and I love that I get to follow the same characters and actors that I grew up with now when they are adults. :)

The new Dallas would have been a hit too if in the hands of the right people. Not listening to David Jacobs advice was a mistake IMHO.

My favorite character on Dynasty was Alexis, I loved Alexis & Blake as a couple but they never were together on the show and yet she was still in love with him. So I think any Dynasty project should have been a pre-quel show focusing on a young Blake & Alexis.

I have no interest in watching a reboot with the same story with different actors.
 

Rove

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
0
 
Awards
5
I don't mind a reboot. David Jacobs wanted the same for Dallas which would have worked better in my opinion in the right hands.
In this case I didn't share David Jacobs enthusiasm for a Dallas reboot. This also concerns me regarding the Dynasty reboot, I just don't see it working. Both shows are so iconic regarding their ever-lasting characters, Jock, Miss Ellie, JR, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Pam, Ray, Lucy, Blake, Krystal, Fallon, Steven and Alexis. The characters and the actors portraying them are inseparable in my view, any attempt by others will simply draw comparisons. How on Earth do you select an actor to portray JR Ewing other than Larry Hagman and the same is said of Joan Collins and Alexis Carrington?

The problem I foresee is there are far too many of us that hold dear to our hearts the originals, therefore the reboots will simply give us the option to compare one actor/actress to another and instantly decide to switch off. I think this is why it is clever for the guys rebooting "Charmed" they've decided to set it in the 1970's, thus avoiding any conflict with 1998-2006 series.

For Dynasty I would have went with a continuation but then look how Dallas TNT fared.
 

Soapwriter12

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
One example is the Han Solo spin off movie, where they have recast han Solo, and Lando Calrissian, if that movie succeeds, holywood will consider it acceptable to recast, they may also be seeing the Hawaii Five O, and MacGyver rebbots, which seem to be succeeding with new actors in iconic roles.
 

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Deadline article from the same event said that Pedowitz (the CW president) "confessed to being more of a Dallas than Dynasty fan at the time of the original soaps’ runs".

http://deadline.com/2017/01/the-cw-boss-originals-charmed-remake-crazy-ex-girlfriend-1201880844/

Pedowitz also said: "“One of the reasons we’re doing Dynasty with Josh [Schwartz] and Steph [Savage] is basically to give us more serialized network [shows]. We’re not a procedural network. So all of our series, even our DC shows, are serialized in basis. So we think it’s a great way to go,” he affirmed.

http://www.ksitetv.com/riverdale/tca-pedowitz-riverdale-returning-cw-genre/135791/

Nevertheless, with 'Charmed', another Spelling series, being rebooted (as well as 'Lost Boys') and limited space on the 10-hour CW weekly schedule open for new series, not sure how likely it is nuDYNASTY pilot goes to series.
 

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV
0
 
Awards
2
I don't think fans would argue with a well casted reboot or continuation.

I also don't think that Dallas failing to do well means that continuations can't fare well. Just write it well and cast it splendidly. And the world will show up.
 

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV
6
 
Awards
16
Well, since they are going with a reboot format, then new characters should be expected. A reboot is kind of like going back to the start and having the Butterfly effect, meaning one little new move takes the future in a completely different direction.

The things that did happen will no longer happen, or no longer happen that way. They will meet new characters. Some children will never have been born. Others will have been born instead.

If they would just do the same, there'd be no need to do a new Dynasty at all. Just air re-runs of the original version.

The original will no doubt still be better though. Somewhat for sentimental reasons, somewhat because I think most of us here prefer the old soap style from the 80s and 90s. They sure don't do soaps the same anymore! Meanwhile, none-soap drama series have become much better in the 21st century.
 

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
http://www.ksitetv.com/riverdale/tca-pedowitz-riverdale-returning-cw-genre/135791/

Nevertheless, with 'Charmed', another Spelling series, being rebooted (as well as 'Lost Boys') and limited space on the 10-hour CW weekly schedule open for new series, not sure how likely it is nuDYNASTY pilot goes to series.

I think Dynasty has a fair shot at going to series - Pedowitz has stressed that he doesn't want the network to become "the superhero network" and with Supergirl, The Flash, iZombie, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and Supernatural all having, er, supernatural elements to them I would imagine that they might want to stay away from the Charmed reboot for now.
 
Top