New CW Dynasty in Atlanta...

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV
3
 
Awards
9
It's why I appreciate the Dallas producers effects to do some location shooting. Watching Miss Ellie walk the Southfork grounds with her hair blowing in the wind, Jock on horseback or Sue Ellen swimming in the pool at Southern Cross grounded the series. There was always a sense of realism with Dallas as opposed to Dynasty. I'm not hating on Dynasty but I believe not using the city of Denver, especially during those winter months hurt the series. It didn't help I discovered the Carrington mansion was actually the Filoli Mansion south of San Francisco.

I'll add I didn't like the fake Southfork at Hollywood.

Dynasty is odd in that they did pay attention to some detail, such as they often bragged how they used real food, some silly gold detail on the foot of Alexis' barstools or a scene where a character was given car keys and they made sure it was car keys to a REAL Mercedes Benz. It just seems like they'd focus on things that barely even appeared on screen but kept missing the bigger picture that the show was a mess.

Even Karen Cellini (Amanda #2) admitted that the producers kept focusing on getting her hair right instead of trying to give her instructions on how to act...
 

E-JULIAN

Telly Talk Member
LV
0
 
Awards
2
... I believe not using the city of Denver, especially during those winter months hurt the series. It didn't help I discovered the Carrington mansion was actually the Filoli Mansion south of San Francisco.

In the eighties I really believed the Carrington Mansion was in Denver, it wasn't until the arrival of internet that I learnt it was Filoli Mansion from San Francisco. This helped me to "believe" in a Denver setting because I always associated the mansion to the pilot views, the only time it was credible that the Carrington and the Colbys lived in Colorado. That's why I hated so much a scene from season 3 where Krystle drives her car leaving the mansion and you clearly see the main gate is in the middle of a California Road (because it was the real gate of the Arden Villa in Pasadena) https://www.google.es/maps/@34.1318...4!1sdQd8pDkghKjXrMy_VZmf-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Where was the gate in the middle of the hills or the long road from that gate to the house that Blake's limo in the first ever scene, Krystle going to meet the wedding planer and the cars coming to her wedding drove for so long in the pilot??!!! In just some seconds the producers ruined the "larger than life" vision of the Carrington Mansion established in that pilot and season 1.
 
Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV
8
 
Awards
21
In the eighties I really believed the Carrington Mansion was in Denver, it wasn't until the arrival of internet that I learnt it was Filoli Mansion from San Francisco. This helped me to "believe" in a Denver setting because I always associated the mansion to the pilot views, the only time it was credible that the Carrington and the Colbys lived in Colorado. That's why I hated so much a scene from season 3 where Krystle drives her car leaving the mansion and you clearly see the main gate is in the middle of a California Road (because it was the real gate of the Arden Villa in Pasadena) https://www.google.es/maps/@34.1318...4!1sdQd8pDkghKjXrMy_VZmf-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Where was the gate in the middle of the hills or the long road from that gate to the house that Blake's limo in the first ever scene, Krystle going to meet the wedding planer and the cars coming to her wedding drove for so long in the pilot??!!! In just some seconds the producers ruined the "larger than life" vision of the Carrington Mansion established in that pilot and season 1.
Exactly right. But the producers had probably forgotten about the pilot.
 
Top